Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Older Cat 235LC – upgrading cab/controls???

cheddarbob56 ยท 2014-12-23 16:08

This may seem dumb but is it possible..... have an older Cat 235 LC (32K1025 serial #) and the sticks for the bucket and boom are mounted on pedestals ahead of the seat... big levers coming up toward you... this makes me want to lean forward to use them and thus my back ends up pretty sore at the end of a full day in the seat.. I know I should sit back and straight but then my arms feel like a monkey flailing around... I've seen the newer Cat 235's... even 1980 model have a nicer cab with the controls more mounted to the seat similar to newer machines... so is it possible if I could find a decent "newer" cab than mine and swap? I'd really like to upgrade to a newer machine but probably not in the cards until after next year hopefully.. and even then I might even want to try to keep this old beast around and get a second smaller machine... Sorry I got a little windy but is it possible to swap cabs to a newer styled controls? Thanks guys. Chris

Replies5
  1. #1Bob/Ont2014-12-23 17:54

    Doable but it's far too much work. You have the first one introduced, they were not too Ergonomically Friendly but a reliable old worker. The next generation looks good but isn't a lot better. It has short levers mounted on the seat frame but the same old pilot control valves and the two pump pedal on the floor. The last version is very comfortable it looks the same but has Rexroth pilot control valves and much lower lever force needed. Best leave it as is, to change the levers with satisfactory results is too much work. Later Bob

  2. #2JGibson2014-12-23 18:03

    I think it would be cheaper and easier to sell the 235 and buy a deere 690 or a Link Belt Ls2800 etc or something like that. A smaller machine with a more productive operator will do a lot more work

  3. #3caterpillarmech2014-12-24 05:22

    If you have time and money anything can be done. It is not going to be light in either case. Have you located and priced just the parts yet?

  4. #4Winch Cat2014-12-28 13:32

    I am not real familiar with a 235, but what are the sticks made out of? Can the sticks be "adjusted" to fit by bending them or welding on extensions? And not to overlook the simple, but is the seat adjustable/ adjusted to suit you? Would a replacement seat cure your concern? (And make you more comfortable too!)

  5. #5cheddarbob562014-12-31 16:03

    I haven't dug into parts or anything just more thinking if it could be done at this stage..... probably not worth it. I'd like to sell it and pick up around a 220 sized machine I think but that might not happen this year. Just kinda thinking out loud and wondering if it could be swapped or not. Thanks guys. Chris