Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Older Caterpillar 2U series D-8 approximate weight.

LowBoy ยท 2015-10-07 18:47

Anybody have a rough estimate as to what they think this old 8 would weigh...? It's an early 60's vintage as far as I can tell... Thanks in advance.

Replies10
  1. #1Oxbow2015-10-07 18:51

    36,310 lbs. includes blade and ROPS and winches, fuel, and operator. I did not know that the 2U's came with a hydraulic blade option, and that might add a bit of weight, but I doubt you will be over 40K even with a bit of dirt in the belly pan.

  2. #2LowBoy2015-10-08 06:06

    That's fantastic...thanks Oxbow. A friend of mine just bought this beast and wants me to move it 250 miles from New Jersey to Vermont for him. It doesn't run...so it needs to be pushed on and dragged off (fun, fun fun.) I was trying to find the weight so I can permit it for three states. I'll add another several thousand lbs. for safety sake. Thanks for that information, I appreciate it.:notworthy

  3. #3Oxbow2015-10-08 08:42

    That information is from the Cat performance handbook, so hopefully it is pretty close. Good luck and you are welcome.:drinkup

  4. #4old-iron-habit2015-10-08 18:26

    The person I bought my later model 2U from said he scaled it many times at just under 21 tons when hauling it fuel of fuel and ready to work. Has a CCU and full very heavily built canopy with sweeps. Has straight cable blade. He has always been reliable so I believe him to be close. I'll bet Oxbow is right on with just the cab and no protection.

  5. #5Buckethead2015-10-08 20:31

    Is think I saw that machine. On 527 in Manalapan. "Kill Dozer" painted on the blade?

  6. #6LowBoy2015-10-09 05:43

    That sounds pretty close to what my estimated guess was, and from what 2U owners were saying. I'll be safe if I just figure 48K lbs...I'm just getting things together so I can permit it. Thanks men! :drinkup

  7. #7LowBoy2015-10-09 05:46

    That sounds about right (location.) Not sure about the "Killdozer" on the blade though. I'd spray over that so I don't look like a whackjob going up the road with it. That would really help the public's image of truckers with that thing boiling up the road. :badidea

  8. #8LowBoy2015-11-26 05:23

    Just an update on this D8 2U tractor I moved a couple weeks ago...Got it done, weighed it and it came in at 47,000 lbs. as it sits. Gross was 83,000, tare is 36,000...net weight was 47K lbs.

  9. #9Oxbow2015-11-26 07:30

    Darn good thing you guessed 48K Lowboy! Happy Thanksgiving

  10. #10Buckethead2015-11-26 21:10

    I am thankful she didn't get scrapped. A thanksgiving miracle! Happy thanksgiving!