Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Should have known!

oldtanker ยท 2015-10-12 14:50

Should have known that when she was OK with me buying a dozer that there would be strings attached:badidea. 1K worth of new stove will be delivered later this week:jawdrop. Just hope she doesn't expect me to cook on it:ban ! Rick

Replies26
  1. #1ol'stonebreaker2015-10-12 16:08

    That's as marriage should be, compromise and tradeoffs. Mike

  2. #2Delmer2015-10-12 16:49

    I hate to even think of what that's costing you per pound, for chintzy tin and plastic no less.

  3. #3ben46a2015-10-12 16:57

    A friend of mine was given a deal by his wife, don't spend money on his KW for 2 months, and she would let him buy a new John deere lawn tractor. Upon hearing that he agreed and promptly went out and bought the lawn tractor and a visor for his truck that same afternoon!

  4. #4td25c2015-10-12 20:46

    Oh Man! , that was the first mistake even letting the wife know you were buying it . Just tell her old-iron-habit dropped the dozer off at your place for some service work ..... You know.... Tune up , paint job . That kind of stuff . The old " I'm helping out a buddy story " . LOL !

  5. #5clintm2015-10-12 21:07

    after a while when you accumulate so many projects she can't keep track of the new ones :thumbsup (until the kids tell her...when will they learn that momma don't need to know every thing)

  6. #6td25c2015-10-12 22:03

    Boy aint that the truth clintm . Last dozer I bought pulled it up to the shop to check it out ............ Wife drives up & asks " who's dozer is that ? " I reply ..... " Hell if I know " . Probably the county highway department's . Don't know why they parked it blocking my shop doors . LOL ! That lasted for about a month ............ They finally figure it all out . Buy that time another machine has showed up and the cycle go's on .

  7. #7clintm2015-10-12 22:34

    when it starts getting to bad I just ask about all the pocket book's in the closet and pretty much stop's the ???'s :stirthepot

  8. #8oldtanker2015-10-13 02:22

    Ol'stone ***?????? I thought the compromise was that she leaves me alone, the tradeoff is I let her live.......... Delmar, too much TD25, nope wouldn't work, she was with me when I bought it. Clintn, they will never learn that. I think they enjoy seeing her get worked up. Wish she had a closet full of something....... Rick

  9. #9kshansen2015-10-13 08:45

    Could do it the way a few guys on a motorcycle group I frequent do when "someone" tries to restrict number of bikes. Leave bike at a friends house and take a few parts off at a time bring them home and put in shed. Then once they have set around for a time start to reassemble them. When asked where "that bike" came from look straight in the eye and say "Just some old parts I've had laying around!"

  10. #10oldtanker2015-10-13 10:34

    LOL! Good idea on the face of it! The problem here is just about everyone I know here is related to her, so that wouldn't work too good. It's so bad that when I retired from the army and we moved back here we told the kids "no dating anyone from Otter Tail county! Rick

  11. #11clintm2015-10-13 20:57

    :jawdrop :OMG a man can hope can't he. maybe when they get the old ball and chain the will learn

  12. #12old-iron-habit2015-10-13 23:29

    The secret is to have more than she can count without getting bored looking at them. But then my wife and I made a deal on "her" new used pickup today.

  13. #13oldtanker2015-10-14 02:27

    Yea right, I have a 1206 and M Farmall's, 2 8N fords, a JCB 3CIII TLB, 2 disks, 2 cultivators, 2 plows, 2 balers and assorted other pieces of equipment and she can sniff out anything new quick. Heck, just in 8N sized implements there are 11 items. Yea she will notice anting bigger than a lawn tractor! Rick

  14. #14lantraxco2015-10-14 04:03

    oldtanker, Hell, where do you hide a new cow? In the herd! You're just about there man! :tong

  15. #15Jim D2015-11-07 02:04

    Too funny! I drive an old, old, truck, and I keep the equipment herd somewhere else. (I guess that won't work if you live on your own farm). For me, saying "It's for the business", and the fact that it lives somewhere out-of-sight, makes it work.

  16. #16oldtanker2015-12-11 23:17

    Well I'm shot for the next couple of months. Bought a new shotgun and rifle! The shotgun is a Beretta 12ga auto and the rifle is a Henry "Big Boy" 357 mag. Rick

  17. #17RonG2015-12-12 04:47

    It is sometimes easier to take the flack than to ask permission.My lady knows that too.lol.Ron G

  18. #18lantraxco2015-12-12 15:16

    I find the best course most times is to just walk in and say "I bought a new ?????" and just go about my business. Sometimes it's dead calm, sometimes a ****storm, but in the end it's usually "I don't like it but you never buy yourself anything, so it's okay" I have wanted for a long time to acquire some guns for range shooting as well as self defense, the tipper was my Dad bought me a beautiful big ass gun safe out of the blue to store them in and now everybody's happy, lol.

  19. #19farmerlund2015-12-12 18:45

    My wife has a good sense of humor. for the last 10 years or so every time I bought something big, the joke was there goes the money for a new garage. cat 973c=Maybe next year we will build it. JD 700j=your still parking outside dear. 1943 stearman= she says buy it I don't need a garage that would be more fun. The contractor got done framing and sheeting up the garage this week. just took awhile. LOL

  20. #20old-iron-habit2015-12-12 22:19

    Gosh, What a waste of money. It will soon be to full to use as she intended anyway. Now all you are going to hear is, "That garage better have room for my car this winter. I am not parking outside again" Yes dear. She parked inside about 6 years ago. LOL

  21. #21RonG2015-12-13 03:43

    Let's see that Stearman!!What a tease.Ron G

  22. #22oldtanker2015-12-13 10:27

    Actually we pretty much buy what we want when we want in the 1K or lower range without much thought and say to each other "look what I got". Bigger ticket items we have to talk it over first. For my next big item I'd like a 4 wheel loader or to get into a better backhoe. She's already told me that I can look at trading the backhoe in. What I'm waiting for is a deal that I just can't walk away from. Could maybe this February look at trading her in on 3 rich 20 year olds....... Rick

  23. #23farmerlund2015-12-13 10:42

    That's a good one OIH. At least here it would be full of her stuff, you know "furniture projects". Here you go Ron. This was a 3 year delay for building garage.lol

  24. #24RonG2015-12-13 11:33

    That is a beauty,anything with a radial engine......LOL.Thanks,Ron G

  25. #25Legdoc2015-12-13 16:59

    I have found its always better to ask for forgiveness than permission! Never forget her birthday or anniversary. That gets expensive! And they never forget.

  26. #26oldtanker2015-12-13 22:05

    I did forget her birthday many years ago now. Remembered it the day after. She never said a word. And in 2 day we will have been married 42 years. Rick