Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Older D7G

rvilene ยท 2012-01-21 18:30

Hi Guys , I,m new here, I need your input as to wether a Cat turbo3406 engine will fit in an older D7G. The 7 is missing the engine and I have access to a 3406 with aprox. 700 hrs. Thanks in advance for any advice Rod.

Replies6
  1. #1d9gdon2012-01-21 21:58

    You could probably fit a 3524 in there with some modifications like that 3406, but it would go back easier with a 3306 like it had from the factory. Find somebody willing to trade what you've got for a 3306. Look for somebody with 621 scrapers. You'll be happy you did, they were an excellent dozer. Also look at Machinery Trader for somebody dismantling a D7F or G dozer with a good running take out engine. I've got one, but we're a long distance apart.

  2. #2rvilene2012-01-21 22:46

    Thanks for the info d9gdon. I don't think I want to get into Messin around unless it's a bolt in I have found a Real good looking D9G complete with a 3 hole Ripper with 2 rippers. If you have the engine for 1 I thingk you could get the machine VERY cheap. If you Email my email I will send you the link. [email protected] Thanks again Rod

  3. #3d9gdon2012-01-22 11:36

    I'm interested. I'll send the email.

  4. #42stickbill2012-01-22 11:37

    Do you have a head for the 3306 Tuboed in a D6D? This is a non spacer plated engine.

  5. #5d9gdon2012-01-22 12:05

    Well, just the one that goes on the 3306 I've got but I don't wanna get rid of it. Here's a list of companies in Texas that's tearing down D6D's that may have one: http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...antledSearch=Search&PST=Starts&fullsearch=d6d Try Ray's Used Equipment in Nocona, TX also. Also, try www.heavyquip.com They're in Houston and Dallas and deal in aftermarket heads. They're about 1/4 of what Cat will want. Did yours get hot and crack? I'm guessing that's a pre com chambered head? If it's a direct inject head, you can buy a PC head and get the direct inject adapters to screw in the pre coms from Cat cheaper than buying the direct inject head. It was that way on a 3406 in a 621B scraper I had anyway. Seems like they wanted $2800 for a DI head or $1500 for a PC head (Cat Reman). It will start a heckuva lot better in cold weather that way too. I didn't do that swap myself, so I can't remember if you have to change fuel lines, injectors, or injector pump. Someone on here will know.

  6. #62stickbill2012-02-10 11:28

    Thanks I'll try these links.No ours wasn't cracked.Owner had me take it to a big time head shop.Garage back of his house.Head was good but he saw the rust in intake and said O you need a new head the rust can not be removed.I call that BS.No one picked the head up so now he is looking for one.It is the PC non spacer plate. I never understand people who hire you to work on a machine then tell you where to buy good cheap parts are who to machine parts because some one at the local bar told them.I all ways try to use a good well known shop for this. Thanks again.