Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Can HY-TRAN ULTRA be used in rearend of 580SL?

69zfarmer ยท 2012-01-21 17:40

I am going to change all the fluids and filters on my Series 1 580SL.Seems like the owners manual called for a special fluid in the rearend because of the brakes on these early SL's.Seems like the last time i changed it i was told i could use the ULTRA hytran.Is this correct?Does the rearend have a filter?

Replies6
  1. #1melben2012-01-21 18:24

    Hytran Ultra is the correct fluid for the l series rear axle/ brake assembly including the outbard planetaries. The center bowl assembly also is suppposed to have an additive to suppliment the oil for the brakes. I have seen this change + additive almost completely eliminate brake chatter on some machines. Make sure you get the proper additive from a knowledgable Case dealer. Mel

  2. #2alrman2012-01-21 20:13

    Case rear axle additive - 402982A2. 1 x bottle per 20lt of oil. Over here we run 85/140 in the hubs. Per 580SL spec the front hubs run 90w - same as centre & rear hubs run hy-trans - same as centre....... yet both hubs front & rear use same bearings & seals - go figure :beatsme

  3. #3DirtIsMyName2012-01-22 07:19

    How do you remove the drain/level/fill plugs from the wheel hubs after someone strips them round and a square drive won't bite? They are soft so a chisel doesn't work well. I thought about welding to them but I hate welding near bearings and seals. Thought about drilling them but don't want filings in the planetary. If I drilled them I could put a big easy-out in them. I hate to pound on them for fear of cracking a hub. I could pound a big star drive in the hole. Off the top of my head I like the welding option best but I haven't tried it yet.

  4. #4melben2012-01-22 08:40

    My main quesition is why people tighten them the way they do, snug is enough. Having to use a 1/2 drive 24 in. snap on breaker bar and jerk with all your might on it is ridiculous. That being said I have had to heat them up red hot, that will loosen them up so you could probably bump it around with a chisel or drive an appropriate allen drive in the hole that will grip it. Allen drives make terrific easy outs, even better than tools designed for that purpose IMHO. mEl

  5. #5Deere John2012-01-22 09:02

    A little weld around a bolt inserted into the stripped hole won't add but enough heat to help it turn out.

  6. #6DirtIsMyName2012-01-22 19:27

    I can't understand that either but it is common on everything that flies, floats or rolls. People tighten plugs like they hold the whole machine together. I've seen a number of bearings wiped out by electric welders arcing where it shouldn't arc. I assume that it is because of a poorly placed ground but I would rather stay a little scared and a little overly cautious.