Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Older Dump Trucks

1toomanyhobbies ยท 2011-12-25 14:19

I have recently seen an older tandem 1989 Western Star dump truck for a reasonable price. I haven't gone to see it in person yet but from pictures it looks in good condition. It has around 400k miles on NTC 350 cummins so rebuild would be in the near future. Even if I budget for an engine rebuild am i going to be bleed to death from $200 to $400 expenses as things just wear out?

Replies11
  1. #1ctkiteboarding2011-12-25 15:35

    things dont cost $200 to $400 in dump trucks, try $1000 to $2000 when things wear out, if not more

  2. #21toomanyhobbies2011-12-25 16:11

    Good point. So my question is when/if people buy an older truck, do they just accept they need to have $5000 set aside for when things go wrong? I am just trying to understand the thought process of people who run older trucks.

  3. #3Willis Bushogin2011-12-25 19:30

    Would be nice to know what the price is. Im kinda in your area (5hrs east) and I would value the truck at $7-$8000 IFFFF its walker beam suspension, in good condition IFFFF the bed is in good condition IFFFF the tires and brakes are good Is tranny in good condition and what kind is it 9 speed 10 speed, more than likely a 13 speed Interior condition A/C?? If its a road tractor conversion its not worth that much If its air ride and you are going off road, stay away from it As far as 400,000 miles, needing a engine rebuild shortly, Ive had Cummins 350 that had over 700,000 before any major rebuild. These are great engines and you can rebuild them for about $2500 aftermarket parts, plus labor I own two trucks, with this same engine and they are good trucks, not a big power house, but gets the job done Let us know what you find out check Craigslist in you area, a friend of mine just bought a 1992 KW T800 dump, from your area for $9000. He drove it home and put it to work the next day any truck will nickel and dime you, so always be prepared, know what you are buying

  4. #4ctkiteboarding2011-12-25 19:46

    willis hit the nail on the head, know what your buying and hope no major repairs will be needed till you can bank abit of the $$ the truck generates

  5. #51toomanyhobbies2011-12-25 21:04

    The asking price is 9900 but he took the truck in lieu of payment and is quick to say it is obo and he is motivated to sell. The truck is almost 2 hours away so i am trying to decide if I want to even seriously look at a truck this old before i drive there to look at it in person. Here is the description 1989 Western Star dump truck Good Condition / Cold A/C / 330 Hp Cummins power / 9 spd / Electric tarp / Two -way tail gate / pintle hitch It sounds like your friend got a good deal on the KW. I have come to the conclusion I want to move from my S/A dump to a tandem but like you said I should just keep an eye out for a good deal. Just so I'm clear, you really think it would only be worth 7 or 8k if all the components are in good shape?

  6. #6Bearmtnmartin2011-12-26 03:01

    After owning quite a few heavy trucks, I came to the conclusion that you will pay $1000.00 to $15000.00 per month if you use it more or less regularly. If you are not putting that into the payment or depreciation, then you are spending it on upkeep and repairs. If its 4 years old you are rebuilding major components for the first time, but if its 12 years old then you are rebuilding the same components, but perhaps for the 2 or 3rd time. The problem with older trucks is that creature comforts are less, and if you buy from someone who has not invested the money every month, then you will be playing catch up, and it will cost quite a bit for a while, or else you will find yourself running an unreliable beater that can't cross a scale without your ass puckering up out of fear.

  7. #71toomanyhobbies2011-12-26 16:07

    Your post brought up a good point. I have seen several ads where they say transmission/rear end/engine rebuilt. Unless someone can show a reciept from a dealer or reputable repair shop, how do you know it was done right? Is that something an experienced mechanic can tell without cracking it open or do you just have to hope you have good luck and that they did a good job?

  8. #8Willis Bushogin2011-12-26 19:53

    I think the price is a price is a little high. I had one just like it and it might be the same one, but I really didnt like it. It was a bit awkward, and old fashion (not many bells and whistles) it was a little heavy compared to other tandems and it looked like a box cab. I sold it as soon as I could. I really like the Ford L8000 & L9000 They seem to turn good and handle the loads well I dont know how much you want to spend, but I might be selling my 97 Freightliner tandem, L10 Cummins, autoshift tranny, it was a ex NC State DOT truck, it has 125,000 miles on it. Tandem work in my area has slowed down and Im thinking about buying another quad dump truck. Barn door, tarp, newer tires, cold A/C, clean interior $16.000

  9. #91toomanyhobbies2011-12-26 22:32

    I appreciate the offer Willis. I am trying to find a good truck in the 9 to 13k range if possible. I do appreciate the advice above and if I decide to up my price range I will definitely contact you.

  10. #10Auctioneerhere2012-01-01 21:48

    If it is a sound truck, it will work well for years. This past summer we ran our old 69 KW 900 over 900 trips @ 12 miles each. Age means nothing, if it's mech. sound it will work out.

  11. #11busdrivernine2012-02-02 23:05

    UNless it has alreadfy been done you need to figure aboutr a yr of repairs on and off but at least a cost of $1000.00