Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

older I-H 260A, transmission problems

cottonwoodbud ยท 2015-10-15 17:46

I just obtained an older International 260 backhoe. all of the hydraulic accessories (bucket, hoe, outriggers) work just fine, but it will barely move forward. Reverse works fine on flat areas but it wont go up any kind of hill. The tranny dipstick says the fluid is full, and it looks clean. This tractor has not been serviced in years and i plan on changing all the engine filters, air can etc. There is a hydraulic leak coming from the bottom of the hoe boom, right where all the hoses attach. )Its a round part similar in size to a small coffee can with a rounded bottom) there is one on each side mounted horizontally and im pretty sure it just needs an O-ring or gasket there. I'm hopefull that it is just some kind of problem caused by lack of maintenance. I see that the trans. problem is pretty common and wonder what was done by others who experienced the same symptoms?

Replies2
  1. #1Craigbullers2016-06-27 18:14

    Hello newbie here having the same issue with my 260a was wondering if you resolved the issue with you trans and what did u do to fix it? I have also been looking for the trans filter # and hydraulic filter# if you have them

  2. #2brian falcone2016-06-27 20:28

    common problem was the plate that the converter bolts to would tear and the bolts would pull right out of it causing it to still move but not be abole to climb or push. my fathers backhoe did this a few times. he eventually got sick of repairing it and sold it