I have an '87 international S1800. It started it's life as a Hydro truck out of Florida. I bought off someone that brought it to Maine and turned it into a dump. Trying to check rear end oil level. The upper filler hole is a standard 1/2 inch drive pipe thread type nipple (easy to take out) the lower "fill to" nipple is shaped like a Baseball Diamond. Is there a trick to taking this out or will I have to buy that special tool from International? I would like to take it out and replace with a 3/8 inch. drive nipple. Thank you, DaveG
Weld a hex nut to that filler plug and spin it out with a wrench.
Thank you, but my welding is terrible on the flat DaveG
I understand as never any good myself. Those plugs will not be very hard and you could drill through the center and shove an "Easy Out" broken fastener remover into the hole and remove it also. However ensure you get the right size tool as once you bore through the plug, it is open and you cannot go back.
I was just watching a youtube video of a guy doing maintenance on his International and I believe he took a 1/2" extension and ground it to fit that lower drain plug. Edited to add, if you really can't get the drain plug out you might look into one of those fluid vacuum pump deals, run it into the fill plug and suck out the old oil that way. I don't know how much fluid one of these beasts must take, I would assume in the 3-4 gallon range though.
Thank you for the replies. I have a call into International to see if they still have that tool, If not I will rig up something. I do believe this plug is too tell you when the pumpkin has enough fluid, not a drain. DaveG
I like that idea about grinding an extention or maybe some scrap steel.
Thank you again to all. No help from International. I hammered a 3/8 drive 3" extension into it and took it out. Some day when I have time I will take a reamer to it and clean up the conners and the 3/8's will work just fine. After doing it, I think that's what a lot of people must have done over the yrs. DaveG
I've never been told but I think the upper plug is to overfill the diffs and get oil in the bearing cavities and the plug your working on is just the regular oil level. The upper plug should be around the middle of the tubes.