Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Older Lull 644 Highlander 2 (1988?) Help with removing rear tilt cylinder

Barry Rinkhoff ยท 2021-10-25 13:29

The rear tilt cylinder has a leak and I am trying to remove it...can't remove the pin - the service manual I have is for a newer model with 2 tilt cylinders. JLG was no help.

Replies5
  1. #1Delmer2021-10-25 14:58

    Picture? is this an access issue? or a brute force issue?

  2. #2Barry Rinkhoff2021-10-25 15:31

    This pin needs removed, I believe but it won't budge.

  3. #3Txhayseed2021-11-01 22:19

    That is not going to be fun. That pin and cylinder bore look like hamburger cat throw up. I might be wrong its been years and years and years but I believe the pin on those runs from side to side... Cylinder to cylinder. Your just going to beat it out. There is no real one trick to getting a 30 year old pin to go easy. Heck even some new stuff I work on i have to beat on them like a angry gorilla to get them to move. You could drill a small hole in the pin boss and try to get penetrating oil in there and getting a good soak. Last pin i had stuck like that took a forklift, 210 compressor and 90 pound jack hammer to get moving. What ever you do be cautious seen many of people take pin shrapnel to the face while working one loose. Is the bottom of the cylinder loose ?? If you had clearance to pull the barrel and leave the rod attached ??

  4. #4icestationzebra2021-11-11 02:20

    Looking at the 644 Highlander parts manual it shows a single long pin like Txhayspeed suggested. I'd be tempted to heat the tube that the pin runs thru to try and break any corrosion loose. Be safe, ISZ

  5. #5Vetech632021-11-11 08:22

    "We're going to need a bigger boat.......er............hammer"