Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

OLDER machines?

JimC ยท 2010-04-24 22:31

HI, New guy here, I am looking to purchase an older machine. My son is doing contracting work, he could use it around the job sites, for back filling occasionally, moving lumber etc. I could use it a lot for work that is needed around the old farm house I bought. I am looking a mid sized machine, less than 6,000lbs, because I don't want to have to buy a new equipment trailer. I am thinking that I want an older machine prior to the computer controlled units because I can usually figure out mechanical things, but computers and electronics are a bit above me. I know this is subjective, but are there any machines to stay away from? Any machines I should try to find? I like the older 700 series bobcats, would that be a good purchase? OH yea, price, I am trying to stay under 6-7K. I just passed up a really nice 940 Mustang at an auction today for $5,500 because it was too large. I am thinking I should have bought it and found a larger trailer? Jim

Replies12
  1. #1Z28982010-04-25 09:55

    Hi Jim, Choosing a Skidsteer is almost like the Ford vs Chevy debate. I can offer 2 comments for what they are worth. In the early 2000's I worked extensively on the Case product. When the XT series first came out alot of the models had serious hydraulic issues. Hydraulic systems at that time where set to operate at around 3100 psi. Attachments were fast but we seen a huge failure rate in hydraulic pumps. They worked against too much pressure (restriction) and in some cases (not all) failed the pump from approx 100 to 300 hours. This of course created disasterous results for the system, contaminating and then requiring a complete dissassemble, flush and clean. If you have ever cleaned a system after a catistrophic failure you will realize how nasty this is. Obviously the issue must have been addressed (I no longer work on the product professionally) because alot of people swear by the XT series now. Something to be aware of for sure. Previous to the XT series Case made the 1845 (among others). I have recently purchased an 1845C because of the reputation of this machine and advise from my peers. It has 6000 hours on it and certainly doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the newer models but is realiable, consistent, understandable, and in the short time I have had it has made my life 100% easier around home and the farm. I paid over $10K for it but thought it was worth the $. So Case vs Bobcat (or Mustang or Cat or......)? Same old same old when buying anything used. Buyer beware.

  2. #2CM19952010-04-25 12:22

    From my experiences the best older machine in your price range would be a Bobcat 843, mid to late '80's vintage. I have owned 5 Bobcat skids in my time and IMO the older Bobcats, when Melroe owned them, are far superior to the newer ones. I have a few hours on other machines but not enough time to on them to say ya or nay.

  3. #3barklee2010-04-26 20:20

    Bobcat 763 first of all. I had one i bought from a landfill (beat to a pulp!) with 6000hrs when i bought it. I had to replace half of the cab and re-weld the loader arms but after that we put 1500hrs on it, repainted it and sold it for more than i had in it three years later. Pretty straght forward to work on, easy to get parts. Only basic repairs (starter, alternator, hose or two). That thing was amazing, you could not kill it!!! Case 1840 second. My dad bought one new in the early 90's and traded it on a new one a few years ago. Everyone who has ever ran the new one says they want the old one back! They have better controls (my opinion) than Bobcat. They are a little more powerful and parts are easy to come by. Most of all they are just about undestructable. Skidsteers are like Chevy and Ford so someone else might say something different but this is what my experience is. These two machines are going to have great resale and the cheaper end of the scale on parts and service. Either one of these would be a sound choice

  4. #4murphy7772010-04-26 22:15

    I have run bobcat, case, cat, and just recently bought an older new holland, I was in the same boat as far finding something cheap, easy, reliable. The bobcat 763 (melroe) I ran was a hard charger, and very easy machine, and very predictable. The Cat was a also nice but good luck finding one for 6000. Take into consideration what brand based on how close a service or dealer is, because you will need parts, and info, and if you have to drive a long way things can turn into a headache real quick. good luck with the search

  5. #5JimC2010-04-26 23:49

    OK, First of all, thanks for the responses, you guys pretty much verified what I had learned reading the posts on this board. 2 QUESTIONS I am going to look at a 763, I am told it is in very good overall condition, new tires, decent paint, pins are tight, very little use the last 5 years. BUT, it starts to get hot quickly.The owner told me that it needs blower box bearings. He seems like a straight shooter, came right out and told me that the bearings are about $250, but some gear boxes can not be rebuilt. If that is the case, I am looking at a new gearbox to the tune of about $600, plus labor. I am willing to take a shot at it for the right price if it is not a huge deal to replace the fan/hydraulic gear box. What do you guys think? Second question, WHAT is the (a) BICS? Thanks, Jim

  6. #6murphy7772010-04-27 17:02

    any work on a skidsteer is a pain. I have no Idea what the cost would be, but I would bet 1000 bucks is a a good starting point. if the price is right on the machine, find out the cost to fix from your local bobcat dealer, or better yet find a friend with a nice shop space, get the repair sheet from the dealer and get familiar and greasy with your new machine, and save yourself alot of dough.....Self repairs can also lead to lots of head scratching, cursing and beer drinking.....kinda like marriage. good luck, keep us posted

  7. #7TALLRICK2010-05-01 01:28

    Avoid the Bobcat $tealer whenever possible. You can pick up a BRAND NEW fan gearbox from Burden's surplus center. Less than 100 bucks and the genuine part. If you do not feel air blowing out the side of the machine when running it is the fan gearbox. The BICS is the odd Bobcat safety system that blocks hydraulic flow when the operator is not properly in the machine. On a 763 the controller is behind the seat. Another component of it is under the seat on the left side of the machine frame. I am big fan of the 763 and believe it is a great machine. Bought a 1996 for 2500 a few years back and love it. The 843 is the best I have had so far and after I restore it will get a nice retirement. A friend of mine bought a broken 753 and I am helping him get it going as well.

  8. #8Abscraperguy2010-05-01 01:56

    I bought a Case 1845C on numerous peoples advice in my area. Some owners of older Bobcats talked about off make engines and booms cracking for sure in the early vertical lifts. Their concerns about the engines was their seemed to be so many different makes that were used and even though none of them had problems what about when they do. Now reading here I find a lt of support for the older Bobcats so I won't discount it cuz I never owned one. The Case I had was a 1996 1845C. It is probably just about as basic as a skid steer you can get. The engine is the 4.3l? cummins which is the 4 cylinder version of the venerable old 5.9l. Never had a drop of trouble with it and the handling was good. I sold it to my Dad for his HD repair and blasting/painting shops and its been getting the snot beat out of there every day and no problems.

  9. #9JimC2010-05-01 09:38

    OK Thanks guys, I bought the 763, it does need the fan gear box, over $600 from bobcat, I found one for less than $150 shipped to my door. Other than that, the machine is very clean, new tires from bobcat, almost no paint flaking from rust, decent bucket, no blow by from the engine. Over all it seems like a solid machine, time will tell. I will monitor this board on a regular basis, the wealth of info here is just great. OH yea, thanks OLDMACHINIST, for putting the manuals on line, that is a big plus. Jim

  10. #10cartzblown94z2010-05-10 13:33

    lets see some pics. how much you get it for?

  11. #11JimC2010-05-10 16:24

    OK, here it is, like I said it is pretty clean, I do not know yet if the only issue is the blower drive, even though it looks like that is all.(keeping fingers crossed) I paid $5,300 for it, he had it on ebay at $7,250 with no bids because of the blower, he told me $6,500 and I offered him $5,000 because I was buying an unknown. I was able to run it and check out all the functions, and it seems like everything is working ok, but I could not run it for a long time as it was starting to get warm. It has 3,400 hrs, almost new tires, the motor has no blow by at all, it is in pretty solid condition. The guy I bought it from had all his work done at the stealer, and he was quoted about $2,000 to repair the machine because he did not have a trailer to bring it to them anymore. I should be able to get it done for about $200 with all new belts. I think I pretty much stole it if the blower bearings are the only problem, I see them all the time in this condition for $8K to $9K. Jim

  12. #12cartzblown94z2010-05-10 16:49

    good deal you got a great price on it and looks clean