Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Older Michigan wheel loader can heater install

Billt ยท 2022-12-21 16:05

Hello, new to this forum I have a 1960's Michigan 55A series 2 with a 353 Detroit. Want to install a small cab heater as I am sick of being cold plowing snow. Question is where is the correct location on engine to install the 2 hoses to feed the heater? Picture would be helpful if someone could post it. Thanks for any help with this project. Bill

Replies14
  1. #1cuttin edge2022-12-21 16:53

    I would guess there must be a plug close to the water pump for a feed, and then back into the head some where. Do yourself a favor and put a couple shut offs on each spot on the engine. I remember being in a 125 Michigan loader that had a heater that ran off engine oil like Terrex rock trucks with the air cooled engines did. Almost instant heat.

  2. #2Billt2022-12-21 17:02

    Thanks for your reply. Blizzard here next 4 days so will be a while before I get to this project Trying to line things up before I start.

  3. #3Delmer2022-12-21 17:29

    It looks like the 53 water pumps had two ports right on top of the water pump housing. Looking forward from the flywheel end of the engine, the port on the right looks like the suction side, but you should tell by the casting that the left is the outside of the impeller, and the right goes toward the pulley and into the center of the impeller. That will be the return to the engine. The supply will be somewhere on the back of the head that's convenient (into the coolant, not oil ), and if there's no ports there, then there should be one near the thermostat.

  4. #4Billt2022-12-21 18:17

    Thanks for the information that you supplied Sounds like it should be pretty simple. Will post some pictures of project when completed!!

  5. #5Simon C2022-12-27 21:45

    Iron River Michigan. Been there 35 years ago, the last time while I was living above Lake Superior in small town called Manitouwadge. Friends from Iron River use to come fishing to our place. You definitely need a heater to live in that area and plow snow in the winter. I worked on many Detroit 353's, will look for a picture of from waterpump end connection to back end of head. All the best to you. Simon C

  6. #6Simon C2022-12-27 22:41

    On the flywheel end of this Cylinder head on the picture you will see the word CRAB written. Right behind the letter B of Crab is a steel plate with 2- 3/8 bolts holding it on with a gasket underneath to the back of the Cylinder Head . I have seen some of these plates with threads tapped into then for either a 3/8 or 1/2 inch 90 degree elbow threaded into it. On the front end of the engine you will see one pipe plug visible on the top of the waterpump housing. You could possibly use this plug also or the one that is visible on the side of the Thermostat Housing. Heating these pipe plugs with a torch in the dead center and then quickly tap in socket and plug will break loose easily. I seem to recall that this is how I seen these units plumbed for a heater in years past. Hope it helps . Simon C Simon C

  7. #7Billt2022-12-28 07:57

    Thank you very much..will check this info out today

  8. #8Simon C2022-12-28 10:34

    Post a Picture for all to see when done. It will definitely be better than nothing. Simon C

  9. #9Billt2022-12-28 11:21

    Will do..it will not be until spring. Not going to do this until weather warms up

  10. #10Billt2023-05-21 19:43

    Completed my heater installation today. Second hose installed on back of head after drilling and tapping plate in that location. Thanks for help with this. Bill

  11. #11sfrs42023-05-22 04:36

    Good work there, and nice to see someone put the end results of forum help, hopefully it may help someone else in the future, thanks for seeing it through to the end Bill.

  12. #12Simon C2023-05-22 21:18

    Glad you were able to hook up those lines as I posted previously. Should get some decent heat going through your heater core. Good photos , Thanks Simon C

  13. #13Billt2023-05-22 21:21

    Thanks for the tip..plate drilled like butter and was easy to tap.. can't wait to use it...what am I saying that means winter again.. I take that back Thanks again..Bill

  14. #14kshansen2023-05-24 09:55

    Well I would give it a try before the snow starts flying again!