I have a TB135 with a Yanmar engine. I just replaced the stop relay and diode because it was blowing the fuse. I also replaced the stop solenoid on the engine. Now when the engines starts it will run fine. When you shut it down it will not restart. The stop solenoid appears to be acting properly. Engine shouts off fine. Any ideas??
Clarify. If stop solenoid is working correctly, what kind of no start? No crank? Crank, no exhaust smoke? Crank, exhaust smoke? How many hours on unit? Was it good until fuse failure?
It will turn over but won't crank and run. No smoke or anything like that at the exhaust. It has over thirty five hundred hours on the unit. It was working good until the fuse starting failing. I unbolted the stop solenoid and the unit cranked properly, the stop solenoid was also in like it should be. When the stop solenoid is bolted in place it won't crank. Is it possible the plunger may not be coming back all the way to allow fuel in the pump?
Did you fit an OEM solenoid? There are rumors that some aftermarket solenoids have the pull and hold wires reversed in their solenoid.
You're confusing us. Crank means engine spins with starter activated, when the key switch is turned to "start" (or "turns over"). No crank means zero rotation of the engine or starter when turning the the key switch to "Start". So, "no crank" is different than "no start".
This contribution from thepumpguysc. I'm sure he won't mind me reposting it here........... "Compare the old rod [on the shutoff solenoid] to the new rod. They make different solenoids w dif. length rods."
Ok when the starter is engaged the engine will spin and not start. I have compared the wiring on the new solenoid to the old one, both the same, have compared and miked the length of the solenoid rod and housing to the old one, both the same. Have table tested both and it appears the old one is not bad, they both worked the same. Put the old one back on the engine, still same outcome as first stated. The only thing I can think of is there may be a weak or broken spring in the pump, unless someone has any other ideas?
Let me ask you this. If you start and run the engine the first time (which you say it does according to your OP) and then stop it. Then before attempting to start the engine again you physically remove the stop solenoid from the FIP - does it start..?
Yes it will restart if you remove the solenoid from the engine. It won’t if it’s still attached to the engine. I left the key on and removed the solenoid the rod was pulled back like it should be. The engine will shut down manually by pushing in on the rod inside where the solenoid goes. I even grounded the frame of the solenoid to the engine and the engine still started and ran.
So it would appear (to me at least) that your problem is electrical in nature if the engine starts with the solenoid removed from the FIP. My first thought is to the stop relay and the diode that you replaced if you are sure that the stop solenoid is good. But the fact that the engine starts and runs with the stop solenoid removed seems to eliminate the possibility of the fuel side of the engine, at least IMHO.