....aka a Grove TM-12S, circa 1964. She (he?) is on a CCC chassis with a RD450 International Red Diamond engine. The Grove has a Ford 300 Industrial 6 running the pump. The engine start switch for the crane is a high-tech push-button which is electrical-taped to the winch lever.... wired with orange extension cord cable. Don't look at me, this is how i got the damned thing. Here are a couple images:
...she was bought originally to pluck salvaged timber from the deck of a barge, but has since proven very useful for dock extraction and installation. In another thread I was asking if anybody knows how to remove the hydraulic rams from the main boom. I am hoping we won't have to rename 'ole smokey' as the new 'exxon valdez'.
Cool pictures billco!I'm allready taking quite a liking to ole smokey.Looks like it uses a gearamatic winch.I'm preety sure you can remove the top bolts on the winch and it will pivit on the bottom shaft allowing access to the inner boom cyinders.They can be removed from the rear for repacking.Good luck with it.
Well, that sounds promising. I'll have a closer look tomorrow to verify this theory. Thanks!
Nice looking rig billco. :scool
:falldownlaugh Aw, yes, yes, yes.... it is one of the most beautiful things on the property. LOL! In its defense , however, it is the largest phallic object in Byng Inlet. An old fella here was running some logs for me on his WoodMizer. He says "oh, I see you done got yerself a crane now". I answered, " yeah, she smokes a bit but she still works". He takes off his hat and squints at it for a minute, then says "well, she's old enough to smoke".
She may be old enough to smoke...just don't let her go out drinking with the boys!
Hi, 25c. I had a good look at the thing; there is no upper and lower bolt set on this winch. Instead, it bolts horizontally to a plate at the back end of the main boom. But we can definitely see the rams in there clearly; if I use my forklift to get the winch out of the way I think that we can extract the cylinders from the back as you have said. Unfortunately, this will not have to wait until April as winter is gonna arrive pretty soon here. Thanks again for your perspective on this; it was very helpful.
looks the crane i learned on, brings back memories, lol
Here are some pictures out of my service manual billco on boom cylinder servicing.Your tm12 and my tm250 are different cranes but very similiar in design.The good news is all the seal kits are available and reasonably priced.I repacked an outrigger jack last spring and the kit cost $38.51 ,and they had it in stock.My grove is a 1969 model ,before I bought it I called Grove "manitowoc" and they tolled me they service all grove cranes back to the begining.Good luck with Ole Smokey & hope this helps.
25c, that is a great help! Thank you very much!
No problem billco,My wife scans in the pictures of the service manuals because I dont know how to to do it, and I am not allowed in the office anyway.I just run the crane & equipment.I aint abit worried about ole smokey.It's got a good home & owner and these old grove cranes were built for the long haul.Love them old Grove cranes.Very dependable.
Finally got the ram outta Ole Smokey last night. Took it apart today. Many packings were busticated. Seal kit will be $306.14 plus tax and shipping ($CAD).
After Grove failed to ship our kit, we went to Sudbury and got all the pieces we needed for $85. She's back together and she has put my docks in.
Glad to hear you got it fixed billco.:thumbsup
I want to thank you especially, TD25C! Your scans of the manual for your crane were of immense help to us. On our crane, we had to physically remove the winch from its mounting shelf, as it does not pivot like yours does. But the general info you provided was spot-on, and the re & re only took about 4 hours. Luckily we have a fork truck with a work platform; that made all the difference in dealing with the winch and the cylinder. Thanks again!:notworthy
No problem billco,glad they were some help,holler any time.That is a nice crane you have,they dont build them like that anymore.When I need parts for my grove I go to walter paton power equipment.They are allways very helpful and pretty reasonable on price. http://www.wppellc.com