Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

On Board Scale

rrrr ยท 2014-02-10 18:27

Is there such a thing as an on board scale for a non air ride trailer for a class C vehicle? No real reason I want to have it other then curiosity and hoping I don't have to spend $1200 for one. Does anyone have one rigged up some how?

Replies9
  1. #1Dualie2014-02-11 01:51

    an old fashion air pressure gauge and a good understanding of the vehicle could get you very close

  2. #2powerjoke2014-02-11 11:05

    an understanding of your post would help me lol can you explain ? pj

  3. #3mitch5042014-02-11 22:41

    I have seen guys with one piece air ride and the other not, get a good estimate with a gauge on one end, but that was grain haulers who always loaded themselves the same way, or....maybe dualie missed the word "non" in front of "air-ride" There are scales where you replace major suspension components that are a pain, and I just saw an add for one that just puts strain gauges on what you have, supposed to be cheaper and easier. I'll try to find it, but I think it was Vulcan scale.

  4. #4powerjoke2014-02-11 23:26

    lol, load 'er like a rail car drive 'er like nascar ever hear bout the one of, if a cop was going 10mph over spd limit, red lights required 20mph over siren 30mph over he needed light's & siren 50mph over, he needed a bull wagon for an escort pj

  5. #5Dualie2014-02-12 00:59

    Lol i did miss the NON part of NON air ride. I mean you could with load strain gauges and monitors but you are talking solid coin.

  6. #6mitch5042014-02-12 10:01

    I found it, it's www.truckweight.com They claim it's "affordable", and cheaper than switching components for load cells, but I don't know their concept of affordable. If you find out, please let us know.

  7. #7old-iron-habit2014-02-12 10:04

    Years ago on our old spring suspension log trailers we would hang a piece of small chain from just above the back axle and when the springs compressed enough for it to touch the axle we were loaded to the road limit. Had to have both axles on flat ground though. After a while we got pretty good at hitting the weights.

  8. #8rrrr2014-02-12 19:35

    Thanks for the replies. More of just a curiosity then a necessity. I'll look into the truckweight link, one of these days.

  9. #9Jumbo2014-02-12 19:43

    I use a set of Vulcan V300 (on a long logger) and you cannot beat them. However, if you are loading yourself, get the remote readout so you do not have to move between loader and truck.