Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Pintle or Ball?

JNB ยท 2014-02-19 12:47

I purchased a ctl recently and the deal came with a 14k bumper pull trailer. For some reason the ball hitch on the trailer is only rated for 12.5k. I'd like to have it cut off and a stronger one welded on. I'd prefer an adjustable lunnette drawbar setup, but I've only pulled pintle trailers with dump trucks in the past. Would a pintle be an annoying rattle trap on the back of a dually?

Replies5
  1. #1CM19952014-02-19 19:38

    Personally I prefer a pintle hitch on a skid trailer, it's heavier duty. I don't find it to be annoying although you will get some movement due to the design over a ball type hitch, bumps in the road will transfer from the trailer to the truck and you will feel it. I have never pulled a skid steer trailer with a ball type hitch so I can't comment on the difference between the two. I started at age 16 dragging a skid around behind a 1988 F350 which was new at the time.

  2. #2JNB2014-02-19 20:05

    Good deal, that's just what I wanted to hear. The way my flatbed is set up, I can bolt/weld the pintle on so I won't have to use a drop hitch and then do the adjusting at the trailer end. I'd prefer to use this trailer over my 25' gooseneck.

  3. #3CM19952014-02-19 20:09

    I prefer a bumper pull over my 25' gooseneck too if I can make it work, it's so much easier getting in and out of places. I have always had the same setup on 1 tons with flat/dump beds, bolted pintle and adjust the trailer to the truck. I have a receiver hitch pintle on my single wheel which adds some movement while towing but it doesn't bother me.

  4. #4LT-x72014-02-20 13:23

    If you can bolt the pintle to the flat bed I would definitely go that route. My biggest headache with a pickup and a pintle is the slid in adapters and trying to get the correct height.

  5. #5maddog2014-04-23 08:35

    I've pulled with both and prefer the pintle hitch setup.