Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

On/Off air valve

Pony · 2025-07-27 02:09

I am trying to replace an on/off push button air valve with a lever type on/off air valve. The one on there is a E-MC L322-08 which is plumbed in with a supply port, a delivery port and an exhaust port. It works fine, however in its application the pull/pull type is to easily bumped or otherwise accidentally activated. I want to replace it with the lever type to prevent or minimise the chance of accidental activations. Went into truck parts place and they sold me a TW1 type valve, specifically a Pacific Air Controls ABC228729 and told me it would plumb in the same. I have never messed with air systems before so took them at face value. Going now to install and google is telling me that the TW1 valve has 1 supply port and 2 delivery ports. The actual ports are not identified on my valve, but again google identified the supply port. I plumbed it in just to see if it would work at low pressure and if i plug one of the delivery ports then it does activate the air rams it is connected to as it is supposed to, however this was only at low pressure, didn’t want to give it pull pressure as i don't know if it needs the exhaust port? The push/pull valve only exhausted a quick puff of air when switching between extend/retract, obviously with the plugged port the lever type cannot. If i don't plug the port on the lever type i just get a constant flow of air from the open port. I went to 2 different truck parts places asking about this valve a nd just got blank looks until they found someone who actually knew something and both separately said the TW1 type was my only choice. So do i need to have an exhaust port, will i damage anything with the TW1 valve and a plugged port? Thanks

Replies11
  1. #1Coaldust2025-07-27 02:22

    It’s confusing. The exhaust port on a TW1 is the tiny hole on the side of the valve. It’s not one of the 1/8” NPT holes. No other action is required on your part. It will work just fine like you have it.

  2. #2Coaldust2025-07-27 02:32

    Genuine Bendix ones are stupid expensive. I prefer using the all brass Tramec-Sloan TR-401040, but they have been hard to get. The World Parts TW1 from Amazon has been working great at $9.99 a pop. I sell a lot of them, even though they are obsolete. Still very common on cargo tanks.

  3. #3Pony2025-07-27 02:49

    Thank you. Yeah google showed bendix for $170 or so in the US. This one was around $40A. I'll have a grab a 1/8 plug tomorrow and weld on a simple mounting bracket and should be good to go. Actually, probably should confirm something else first. This valve controls two air rams on locking pins for the sliding drawbar on my trailer. It will be mounted up under the tray on the trailer, behind a guard to protect it, but will still be subject to dust/water/whatever else. I was told it rated to handle this?

  4. #4Coaldust2025-07-27 02:59

    The weather and road grime will eat them up in a couple years. Especially, the pot metal flipper. That’s why I go through so many of them. Sometimes, the tiny exhaust port will freeze over. If cost is no issue, this Civicon valve works great as an on/off. At $250 each.

  5. #5Coaldust2025-07-27 03:04

    I like to put them inside an enclosure, when I can.

  6. #6Pony2025-07-27 03:05

    I reckon I'm pretty safe from it freezing. I've got this one now, so I'll see how it lasts for me. Ideally, i would like something with a lock so it can't be accidentally activated. Where I will mount this should prevent mistakes, be harder to idiot/accident proof the push/pull type. Ha, posted at the same time. I've left the trailer now, this is the only photo I've got, which isn't real good. I'll mount the TW1 up higher, but is is at the front of the trailer, dust will be its main hazard. The trailer is brand new, about 1000km in that photo. Thanks

  7. #7Coaldust2025-07-27 03:10

    The Velvac 330188 mini is a nice push-pull on/off valve, too. I keep those in stock because Beall used them a lot.

  8. #8Coaldust2025-07-27 03:12

    You are welcome. I geek out on this stuff. There is a lock mechanism cover thingy available for the TW1. I’m trying to remember which catalog I saw them.

  9. #9Pony2025-07-27 03:21

    I thought about making the mounting bracket with a slide or a pin or something that i can lock the TW1 flipper in place. They'll be a stockcrate on the trailer, so horses will get tied up to it and cattle will be let loose around it, that was the main concern about accidental activations. But like I said it'll be mounted up where they can't get to it and if I mount it so "pins locked" is flipper down, then road corrugations can't vibrate it open, I should be good.

  10. #10Truck Shop2025-07-27 10:58

    Push/pull used allot for pin release on trailer slider suspension, some converted to Williams flip type too because of grime.

  11. #11Pony2025-07-29 19:53

    Works perfectly, thanks Coaldust. More positive engage/disengage visually and also much more protected from accidental activations. I left the old bracket for the push/pull in place as I'll carry it for a spare if needed in an emergency. Went with the round hole for the flipper rather than a slot as Coaldust has, because figured more open design may allow it to shed dust better rather than potentially packing it in and causing future issues. Probably overthinking that particular part, but so be it.