Hello everybody! This may seem like a stupid question but I'm pretty new to using a backhoe. So far I've spent far more time fixing them then using them. I have a cat 420Eit. I have 2 front buckets for it. The snow bucket is slightly wider then the general purpose bucket and its possible to fit the GP bucket inside the snow bucket. If i want to move both buckets from one site to another is it safe for the machine myself and other people on the road for me to just put one bucket inside the other and chain / strap it in and drive with it like that or is that a bad idea? If its alright to do so does it matter if ride control is on or off?
I'd chain it in and use ride control.
Thanks for the reply to what probably seems like a dumb question.
Not a dumb question but you can try again if you like! LOL
As a new guy its practically a guarantee that i will lol.
I've transported all sorts of stuff that way, and not chained in. If your hoe does not have a mirror in the ROPS, get one. I do my absolute best to not be a hindrance and you need to know what is going on behind you. Turning to look is a great way to do a little weave and bob, and take somebody out.
An example of a good reason to chain things into your front bucket happened here a few yrs. ago when a backhoe operator heading down the hyw hit a bump and the clean up bucket he was carrying bounced out went under the machine and sent it off the rd and rolled down a bank. Very fortunate not to have been killed.
mine used to have a mirror but the fella that used to operate it removed it. I'll have to get another one. Freaks me out a bit to not be able to see when someone is going to try and pass me given how much the machine wants to be all over the lane.
Ya i think a chain is a good idea. I don't think its likely that the large general purpose bucket will bounce out but it only takes an extra minute to put a chain on it and lots of crazy unexpected things happen every day.