Hauled our 345 to town to remove a rock hump in a new house pad. Had great weather out and back!
I think this has been one of the wettest rainy miserable weather year. Global warming ya right.
Great shots Lash, Almost looks as if you airborn on a couple of them. And from the looks of it that was a beautiful day............well it would be here cause we aint seen rain in forever.
Great pics Lash. :drinkup So where's the pictures of you breaking up the rock hump?
I would sure like to send some rain down to anyone who needs it. April and May here were the wettest on record. The records go back to 1896. Those two months combined for almost 25" of it. Sorry CB, no pics of the job. I was running crane on another job.
Had a couple small jobs last week. Spend more time getting there and back than actually doing the job. It all pays the same though! This tilt deck is a 20 tonner I bought at a State DOT auction for a thousand dollars. They had loaded a 39,000 lb excavator on it and headed out a rough gravel road. They hit a huge pot hole and snapped one of the spindles off. (I thought it was ironic it happened to them.:thumbsup) They had all the parts priced out to fix it. A new walking beam and parts was aroung $5,000 delivered to Kodiak. It had new brakes and tires. When I won the auction I went to their shop and asked the mechanic if they had any parts for it and he said since I asked to back up to the door. They gave me 4 more new tires and 2 new rims and a big box of lights. I flipped it over at the shop and figured out the walking beam wasn't bent and the spindles were fitted in square tubes for alignment. I air arced the spindle out and a local machinist made a new one for $800. It fit perfect. I didn't like the orange DOT paint so blasted and painted it. Parts,labor and paint came in under $3,500. Its so nice compared to our old one. Don't panic, I chained down the D5 better before I took off.
You got a good deal on that trailer it looks like a Trailking or its similar in design to a TK. Tilt tags are common around here but finding a good one forsale is hard. Its hard to tell but does that trailer have the odd ball 17.5 wheels or does it have the full 22.5 with low pro rubber ?
Apparently you don't have to worry too much about low underpasses up there...
Nice pics :thumbsup Great deal on that trailer!!
I bet up in Alaska if its under 14 feet your okay. I know around here 15 feet is max but 13'6" is legal. If you have low wires to deal with a guy rides on the trailer with a wood stick with a V on the end to push the wires up :laugh Guys move 200 sized machines on a regular basis on a tridem tilt tag its much quicker than using a lowbed plus the fact you don't have to wait for a heavy haul contractor to move the machine. Then the lowbed company charges a minimum to move of 300.00 or 110.00 per hour. Another problem is lowbeds can't get into the residential areas like a tilt tag. Lash scored a good deal with that tilt trailer :IMO That Case backhoe has to be the hardest thing to haul on a tilt tag. Backhoes always want to do the dance and it doesn't matter how tight you get those chains.
Naa, we haul our D10 all over and its 18' high. Couple wires are pretty close but it makes it.
Nice looking setup you have there Lash!!:thumbsup what is that structure in the pics that kinda looks like a lighthouse? Is it built like that cuz the waves get all the way up there occasionally? Looks like the foundation for another one is behind your truck-trailer in the other pic, but so close to the other one.:beatsme
Its the local "STOP" sign factory. opcorn
Around here, you can't even think about trailering a backhoe with the boom in the transport position. (As a matter of fact, I recall having made a post one time to be sure the inexperienced readers knew that "transport" position means for roading, not trailering.) My 680 and I once traded paint with an underpass, while I was roading it. The top of the dipper touched the underside of the structural steel of the underpass. It scared the heck out of me. That could have been a very expensive lesson, but fortunately I got it for basically free.
I was working for a paving company back in the eighties and the owner needed some work done at his summer home down in Guilford.I used to move the 410 down there with a tagalong trailer and one overpass was so low that I had to unload the backhoe and reload it again on the other side. One thanksgiving I was going to Maine to visit my family and there was what appeared to be a brand new Cat backhoe upside down just beyond the snowshelf on the Maine turnpike.The lowbed was just beyond the overpass and you could see where the boom had tagged the overpass before it flipped. That was ten years ago at least and I still think about it.It ruined my day!! Ron G PS Thinking back on it there was a tagalong upside down there too,it was not a lowbed.I was not carrying a camera in those days because I would have some pics of it and I bought my Mavica in '97.
We have so many people ruining their machines because they don't transport them correctly on their trailers. An area where I lived for a year a while ago had the lowest bridge in WA I believe, and it CONSTANTLY had stuff hitting it. They finally took it down and rebuilt it higher. About 5 months ago we had a new overpass built north of me and this guy with a brand new case excavator clipped the bridge and just ruined the excavator. :Banghead Blake WA
Some work pics...if you call this "work"... Here's some fresh shots from another WalMart disposable camera. First, a 235 minus the boom (no, I didn't clean it off on a bridge, I promise...) I loaded in Weare, New Hampshire and hauled it to Newark, NJ for export. The 420 pigtail is in our rental fleet, I'm headed on a 150 mile trip out to central New York state to a homeowner site. Luckily, he had a seasoned operator there to run it, otherwise I'd have brought it back home. Next is a brand spanking new D-8T I picked up at the local Cat house, going to a jobsite 60 miles away in Massachusetts. I put the very first scratches on the blade, and smelled the paint burning off the manifold and exhaust. It's a pretty majestic site. NJoy.
Cool pics Lowboy, :thumbsup I love those old 235s. They were a dinosaur when they left the factory but I have yet to see a machine that would take a whippin in the rock like them. Here's a couple more pics of our 10N on the move.
Where in Weare did you pick it up? I brought one of our excavators to Weare last year to get some work done on it. I can't remember the name of the place, but it was in an industrial park at the end of the road on the right.
It was a private sale, just a little contractor who was retiring the old gal...
You're right there, Lashlander. Those old 235's were bulletproof. I ran one for a whole winter about 12 yrs. ago on a demo job nearby.It was already seasoned far beyond what was on the clock, and in demolition work all it's life, yet I still loaded a lot of trailers and triaxles out with it, and still could clean the top sideboard off every truck with the outside tooth so the driver's didn't have to climb up there. I ripped the boom off of it too, come to think of it now. It was February and minus 10 for a solid month on that job. Had to tarp the motor compt. and run a salamander heater under it for a 1/2 hr. in the morning to start it. I was sweeping side to side cleaning the snow off the 200' X 400' slab we were getting ready to rip up, when I hit one of the remaining stubs of a 12" I-beam that the workers were supposed to cut FLUSH with the floor...you wanna see an ugly sight...try watching helplessly as the entire main boom of a 235 comes crashing down onto the ground.:Banghead Not pretty at all. The only saving grace I had was the owner's son was right there next to me on a 245 and saw the whole thing, and knew I wasn't being abusive at all,it was just too stinking cold to be playing around like that. The boom was patched prior to my calamity, so I felt better after seeing the cheesey weld job on the fishplated area. Nice pictures of your work, too. The scenery is really breathtaking up there to me...Thanx.
A couple more shots...a 330C from the Cat dealer to a buyer up in Bolton Landing (Lake George,) New York. Permit called for a front escort once I left the interstate highway onto the little skinny 2-lane up through the village; I read the permit a little too late, and I can see now why they would want an escort...it was quite interesting. Funny how most motorists can't see a yellow Peterbilt coming towards them with a new 330 on...:beatsme Mission accomplished anyways. One of our Genie Lifts headed to a customer. A nicely kept 950G Cat loader I picked up at a very well maintained family egg farm in Catskill, New York, going to the dealer for some service work. It was a picture-perfect day other than the excruciating heat, with that beautiful farm as a backdrop, so I thought it was worthy of a couple of pictures to show off their well taken care of facility. NJoy...
i saw this pair headed to a landfill behind Tracy AFB in Fairfield CA. Desilvia Gates machines
This operation was the result of a customer who bought a brand new baler from us that we delivered, but our driver refused to tow this back down to our yard from about 120 miles north of here. Rightfully so, as the canvas was sticking out of the tires. So, just to follow through on his commitment to get this contraption to us, the customer heads down. He makes it all of 115 miles, when he loses the right tire and pulls it far enough down the state highway to peel it completely off one side of the rim. He abandons ship in a general store parking lot, and heads north. Calls and tells us where it is...end of story. Our guys were wondering how to get this thing back, when I mentioned I'd throw the 303 excavator on the lowbed, and go retrieve this thing. The owner's boy, Dylan, came along and lent a much needed helping hand. I chained the drawbar to my bucket, and walked backwards onto the lowbed, but ran out of room, so I had to crawl up onto the upper deck backwards while pulling the baler with me at the same time. Once I had enough room to hook back up to the trailer with the gooseneck, I left the 303 up top, chained it and the old JD baler down, and commenced to the shop. The audience I had consisted of a few neighbors watching me crawl backwards up onto the rear deck while still pulling the baler along, and all were pretty amused. I just chalked it up to "another day in paradise"... The last shot is me finishing up my rigging job up on the top deck, in the seat of that monsterous, oversized excavator. NJoy.
Hey Jeff, those are Gasoline Magazines that were built during WWII. They had 25,000 gallon tanks in them. We pulled the tanks and cut doors in them. They built a two bedroom place in the one. A plumbing contractor bought one and built an office in it. The ground floor is a two car garage. There is ten of them on the property.
That D-10 on the lowbed looks strange I know we get away with stuff that shouldn't. When the gravel mines send out their D-9 it needs to be stripped naked.
Nice pics! Those scrapers sure look a lot bigger when their sittin on a trailer.:yup
i love those T800 with the wide hoods i see alot of them out here. i saw this D10R last year hauled complete and i had never seen so many tires on one axle before. now it is common but seeing it for the first time was pretty cool
Good pictures, They turned their cornor bits up. Hard to believe it would make that big a difference.
I hired a lowbed company to move a PC400 I rented for a job. They smashed a bridge bent the stick cylinder and didn't call to tell me. I got a bill from the rental company. never used them again. That 345 looks awfully high to me.
Lash here in CA we can get a permit for up to 16'0" wide. if it is wider, it takes special permits, 2 weeks advance notice, hiway patrol escorts front and rear, as well as standard pilot cars front and rear. Turning up the corner bits can get it down to a "normal" load. The fines for even 1" over 16' are enormous.
great pics