I have a one inch gash on my tractor tire and I'm just wondering what's the best course of action is. I don't have the tools or the knowledge to fix this myself so I'm going to need to have someone come fix it. I would like to ask you guys for advice. Picture Picture Picture #2 The gash from the 1st picture has a slow leak....water and air. The gash from the 2nd picture doesn't have any leaks that I know of.
Number 2 Looks pretty harmless, might check once in a while to make sure it does not get some dirt or rocks stuck in it. Not sure about Number 1. Hope they can patch it for you.
Someone told me that something like this needs to be patch from the inner wall. Hence, they would have to remove the tire from the rim. I'm wondering how much will it cost.
tire patches One of these should do and probably what ever a fitter will charge to do the job.It is basically the same as repairing a puncture except the patch is on the tyre .these patches are 2ply I think.....
I'm no tire guy but it was explained to me when they came out with radial tires they needed to be patched on the inside of the tire because the steel belts would cut off the usual tire plugs as the tire flexed. I would try shoving some tire plugs into the hole until it stops leaking. If it doesn't last then patching the inside would be necessary. You mentioned water and air are leaking from the 1st hole. Are your tires loaded with calcium solution? Not sure how this would affect things.
That should be easy to patch. You defiantly don't want to mess with Calcium chloride if thats in your tires sense you don't know what your doing. Park the tractor so the leaking puncture is up so if it is Calcium so it doesn't leak out. You might not have Calcium in the tire since you live in a warm climate the liquid will be milky looking if it has Calcium chloride in it.
I went with the old fasion method by patching it from the outside with two strands of those patching thing.... I hope it holds.... By the way, what's the rule of thumb for lending out your tractor to neighbors? How can you say no?
I'm told to melt some rubber and heat the tire spot to melting point (spread it wide) and pour liquid rubber in there? sounds logical........and cheap?
Sound like a good way to ruin a modern tire if you as me.
This brings up a problem I've had this year too and haven't rectified. I put brand new 13.6-28's on my tractor and on the first day one of them took a good solid bump on the sidewall from the counterweight on the 3pt swinging just the right/wrong way. It immediately swelled up like a balloon, think like the size of a ball, right in the middle of the sidewall of a brand new tire! Wasn't even on for a full day! Grrrrrrrrrr! I nursed it back up to the shop but the bulge did a little rubbing on the muffler on the way which cut the tire a bit and broke the muffler hanger... They used to be able to repair these years ago--do they still do it? It is literally brand new, still has the little rubber nubs on it. Was maybe in use for an hour or two.... They were cheap ebay specials but thats not the point! (East One is the brand name, sounds Chinese to me....) I took it off and put on the spare but haven't gotten around to taking it in anywhere yet as I've been so busy and have to remove the (freshly installed) cast iron wheel weights....
With most people I just look at them like their head is on backwards, and then say no; with a very few I go to the trouble to think of something that is broken. My rule of thumb for loaning things out is I don't loan a thing to a person who doesn't own one. I own at least $20,000 worth of tools; if a person owns nearly that many I will probably loan him one he doesn't have. Somebody who owns a philips screwdriver, an old butter knife, and a $5.99 socket set probably will not understand the value of good tools. A friend of mine needed my backhoe to bury a dead dog in rock, he owns two cranes that he takes very good care of, so I know he knows the value of a machine and will take care of it for that 20 minutes.
not sure about sidewall damage but you may be able to get the tire valcanised.
Why didn't you look for a replacement under warranty?? I have never had a side wall bulge on a tyre, well only when they were cut........
unless it is leaking just leave it, i have had gashes like that in our tractor and it tasted for ages, although it depends how much you use it. We onyl put a couple of hundred hours a year on ours