Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Recycled concrete used for concrete aggragate?

joispoi ยท 2010-10-31 09:07

I have come to the conclusion that I'm currently living in the wrong part of the world (actually, I knew this before moving here but that's another story). The whole county I'm living in sits on top of gravel deposits. If you dig down 1-2 meters you'll find more clean gravel than you can excavate (the water table is pretty high and a long reach excavator can only go so deep). But despite this vast abundance of gravel, it still sells for 50 euros per cubic meter- trucking costs extra. This has brought me to look for alternatives for making concrete. Crushed concrete sells for 10 euros a cubic meter. There are only 2 grades that I have found nearby. Course and fine. The course stuff is about the consistancy of rip-rap mixed with item 4. The fine stuff is crusher run with 3/4" aggregate with a lot of fines. If it gets wet before compaction, it turns to mud. I'm wondering if the fine material will be suitable as a gravel replacement. My concern is the % of fines maybe being too high. I'm thinking adding extra cement into the mix would improve it. I'm considering this for residential slabs on compacted sub-base. This is not for footings, walls or bridges. If it's suitable substitute, the savings are huge. I'm interested in hearing your ideas on this.

Replies6
  1. #1Turbo218352010-10-31 09:45

    Crushed concrete has wide spread use here in Michigan. The large size, here it is known as 1x3s, is used quite a bit. Its big use is as mud tracking mats for construction sites. Lay down a layer to geotextile fabric, and then a layer of 1x3s, and traffic leaving the site has quite a bit of mud knocked off of the tires. 1x3s are also used in bridging situations and undercuts. Undercut and fill your poor area with 1x3s, then choke it off with a finer gravel, or filter fabric and then stone. The fines are used as typical road gravel. It is either used as a 21A or 22A road gravel, depending on the screen the fines pass through. It makes a decent substitute imo. It all depends on your source for material though. Concrete crushers around here using demolition concrete have been a sore spot for the industry, sending out cheap product, but it contains a lot of wood, brick, and I have even seen carpet. The cleaner the material the better. It is also preferred to get a concrete that was used as highway, or good county roads, as it meets certain specs that other concrete doesn't. Heres a Link to a Federal Highway Admin summary of Michigans use of crushed concrete http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/pavement/recycling/rcami.cfm

  2. #2joispoi2010-10-31 10:05

    Thanks for the link Turbo! I haven't seen any wood or carpet in the mix yet. I think that's mainly because nobody seems to want to pay to haul away demolition debris that can be burned on site. :beatsme I think I'm going to use the RCA as a gravel substitute. Now I just need to find a big enough mixer that I can mount on the back of a tractor.

  3. #3willie592010-10-31 11:30

    May be a little large for your purpose, maybe not, but how about a small batch plant and make your own concrete, then use Georgia buggys to transport mix to slab your pouring. Just a thought. http://www.cementech.com/dev/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&layout=item&id=9&Itemid=15

  4. #4JDOFMEMI2010-10-31 14:31

    The main problem I see in the recycled concrete is too many fines. That is why concrete gets washed sand, because with too many fines, you will have a hard time getting the cement powder to coat the particles and "glue" the whole thing together. You would end up with a product more like a cement treated base than a flowable concrete mix, IMO It may be a good enough idea to rent a small portable mixer and get dome of the recycled material to do some test batches with . You might come up with a market for it somewhere.

  5. #5willie592010-10-31 15:43

    I know nothing about this aforementioned stuff, just curious. Would it be possible to make a screen to remove the excessive fines to make an acceptable concrete aggregate? Depending on the market in his area, it might be practical to develope a method for Joispoi to make use of this stuff and produce a profitable product with it. Just a thought. Good grief, that last sentence has a ring like peter piper picked a peck of pickled peppers. Geeez. :lmao

  6. #6joispoi2010-10-31 16:58

    Screening is easy enough to do, it's getting rid of all the fines that would be the problem. Without the coarse aggregate, it doesn't have much structure. I can't think of a good use for it. Maybe there's an untapped market for silt or sludge substitute that I don't know about. JD, that's good advice. I've already got a small mixer for the test batches. I'm thinking that if I make the mix richer than standard, enough cement will get in there with the fines to make an acceptable light-load concrete. The batching plant is a good idea, but I'm not looking to get into the concrete business. (I actually found a used 7 yard mixer for 1,500 euros. I'd have to put a motor on it and build a base or find a truck to put it on). I just want to find a way to save/make some extra money on some upcoming work. Maybe a batching plant would create a niche in the market for lower priced concrete.:beatsme Quality of the concrete would be tough to control, though. It would only be as good as the RCA that's used to make it.