Only a fool would try this crossing, who ok'ed it or if anyone did who knows.
Well he at least did a good job securing his load. Didn't look like it hardly moved.
Ha HA HAAA HHHHAAAAAAA!!!!! I'm really glad that wasn't me.
I'm sure the drivers lumbar is happy.
This looks like one of those times when you line the truck up straight, loop the seatbelt through the steering wheel, put it in low gear and get out and let it go on it's own. Get in on the other side if it makes it!
I bet that driver's seat ain't reusable! I put a truck through a wooden bridge on a farm near Chadbourn NC about 15 years ago. The farmer swore they had had loaded tractor trailers across it a few months before. I started across it with a half load, about 4-5 tons. It was a truck identical to this one, except for the color of the cab. It was only about 15' long, across a canal about 12' deep. My front axle made it across, but when my rear axle got to the middle, CRASH! I got out and saw that the fuel tanks were on the ground, the front tires were in the air, and the back of the truck was down in the canal on a pile of telephone poles and oak 4x12s. I was not even upset, I walked down the dry canal a ways, and climbed down in and across. When I got back to the truck, I saw that the only thing keeping it from dropping another 8' and rolling over backwards was that the pintle hitch had stabbed into the stub of a rotten telephone pole. As soon as I saw that, I immediately had to ****! I guess if there had been a bus full of old ladies in the field, I would have wet my pants!
I never thought to much about falling while in the seat until i was loading my tractor on a trailer and the ramp slid out .It fail about 2 feet. It bent the seat some and jammed my back.
Pile drivers cutting a corner ,guess they should have broke the crane down properly and taken the long way around.I ve been there myself it sucks to completly break a machine down and maybe haul it 20 mile further to get somewhere you can throw a rock to.
Guess someone felt it was sketchy as they were making a video. Have to wonder about the guy walking across in front of the truck if he was a step or two closer he would of went down with the bridge!
I’m no engineer, but it seems to me that all that steel bracing on the bridge isn’t doing much other than adding weight stress. I think the bridge weight load is supposed to transfer to the two angled beams going to the ground on each end, but they don’t look like are really capable of doing that.
I think that happened near Shag Harbor Nova Scotia, that bridge was only meant to hold up a UFO with elvis at the controls
Or a one horse wagon! Wonder what the bill is for that repair.
This one the bridge won.
Good one, Skipper looks around {No one saw that full speed ahead}.
Good thing that crane was on crawlers and the back stops were strong enough.
I actually think that's a old truck crane, it looks like a outrigger up in the air towards the front of the barge when its against the bridge.
Since you mentioned it I looked at it again and saw some reflectors on the side and the video popped into sharp focus for my computer when the crane was tipped fully forward. Nice catch.
https://vertikal.net/en/news/story/35957/travelling-with-raised-boom
How?
Like you've never left wrench lay on the back bumper of a truck, or get in a hurry and forget something.
I am ashamed to admit this. But I left my crane up on my service truck and drove 30 miles. I only noticed when I had stopped for a bathroom break and was walking back to my truck and to my horror it was up in the air. What happened was, I would put my ladder over the pedestal and lower the crane down to prevent it from being stolen. While in the process of this my phone rang and I forgot what I was doing and drove off. After this and losing numerous tools I will do a walk around and make sure that tools are put away, the crane is down and outriggers up, and all doors shut and secure.
Got to admit have lost a few screwdrivers, and a socket or two, but NOT drove down the road with a Boom Up!!!!
I had a small crane it was all hand operated and i think stuck out about 3 feei when it was turned to the side. I used a chain hoist on it and would hock a rachet strap to the bed when not in use and remove the chain hoist. I was heading home after dark down a street and heard a bang. The crane wasnt tied back and it hit a no parking sign. It bent it a little every time i seen the sign i thought about it but some one hit it last mouth and broke it off.
Worst thing I ever did was with my first service truck, when I was about 21 y/o. I used to carry my tool box just inside the tailgate with a strap around it. Open the tailgate and you could open the drawers. One day, I forgot to put the tailgate up. I made it a few miles out to the main highway. There was traffic on the road I was pulling on to, so I gunned it away from the stop sign, and WHAM, flipped my box into the road. Thankfully, it stayed in the side road. It seems like I picked up sockets for hours, but the only things I missed were my 1/4 AND 3/8 drive 10mms. On edit: If I ever find where whack is so I can get in it, I'm sure it's going to be full of 10mm wrenches and sockets.
A common thing that's bypassed by tow trucks and towing from the rear. Checking and making sure hood is latched. I have been lucky I always check. When the wind catches it and flips it open at speed some bad things usually happen.
He's a smoooooooooooooth operator.
Almost got the crane a bath
Operating on the edge of the chart?
Thinking OFF the Chart
He may have had the weight, barely, then need to boom down to clear the spud, BAD Choice if that is where he was.
Did they make a chart for that vintage link belt? I thought they went by pucker factor
That's a baker spud he had to clear.
Needs to add a bit of lead to that chart before doing it again!
Well it’s a good thing he had free fall on the winch. Edge of his chart and swung over the side. Crane is longer then it is wide. Just cause you can pick it over the toes doesn’t mean you can over the side.
Well you guys got to remember a boat is only a hole in the water.
Yeah, that try to fill with Money!!! That Spud is likely what he had to clear from his shorts!
I like watching cranes drop expensive objects like locomotives.
NOT Pretty but pretty intense!
I get a laugh of these even as Not Funny as to down hill
"OK Honey, We are clear the piers. Lets get back to the cabin. Autopilot, you got the wheel."
Broke its back..
Load charts are never accurate when doing barge work. The barge is never stable. As he swung to the corner you can see the barge corner going deeper into the water effectively lowering his boom angle as the barge and crane tilted further off from level. A crane very seldom has swing balance on a barge, it is usually either tail or nose heavy so its always swinging uphill, not like when sitting on solid ground on mats.
Here'a wonderful recovery job gone wrong.
At least the wrecker did not go full over!!
Just wonder where the operator was standing by that wrecker. If in the left side he has a bit of a reach to work the controls to let it back down! Hope it has remote control like the one that righted the county truck that flopped over in the road in front of the hose a couple years ago!