Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Only a mother could love it

Phil · 2007-11-12 17:25

Remember that saying "with a face only a mother could love". Reminds me of this 680 Case. The connecting rod has improved crankcase ventilation. Must have 5 or 6 layers of paint. Has the rare extendable boom, which we had to cut off to float it home. I know if I get this thing running that no one will ever want to buy it. Figure that might be a good thing, she will always be there for me. Phil

Replies54
  1. #1wrenchbender2007-11-12 19:20

    It ain't that bad Phil I've seen a lot worse on jobs around here.lol

  2. #2JS580SL2007-11-13 17:18

    Nice old machine, keep us posted!

  3. #3Phil2007-11-13 20:28

    Okay, I'll let you know how it turns out. What about this Massey backhoe picture? Beautiful isn't it? The bottom windshield is to see where you are going and the top windshield is to see what you've hit. Phil

  4. #4C.Alford2007-11-13 23:19

    nice, dad just picked up one of these... I cant even bring myself to take a picture of it... Allis Chalmers RL 451

  5. #5Countryboy2007-11-13 23:22

    Welcome to HEF C.Alford! :drinkup

  6. #6C.Alford2007-11-13 23:37

    Thanks, don't hold that AC against me...

  7. #7Phil2007-11-14 07:21

    Oh', it's so cute. Phil

  8. #8iceberg2102007-11-14 13:12

    We've got an old Allis loader (really a Tractomotive it was right after they had been bought out by AC) so I've done some research on AC loaders but I've never seen that. That's awesome! How does your dad like it?

  9. #9C.Alford2007-11-14 14:47

    Came with a hay spike and a bucket, so far all we have done is moved a bunch of hay. So far works pretty good until someone sees you running in reverse, I mean forward

  10. #10Bayrat2007-11-14 17:09

    That Chalmers looks like a backward version of my 1962 D12 :drinkup

  11. #11Lnolon2007-11-23 15:27

    Don't feel bad I've got one to Here is my 580 b in all its rusty glory!

  12. #12JS580SL2007-11-23 17:10

    Bet it still runs like a champ though?

  13. #13OneWelder2007-11-23 18:13

    Phil I have parts book for 680 CK of your approximate vintage, will scan sections if, or as you need them

  14. #14Phil2007-11-23 20:37

    One Welder, Thank you for the offer, I had one given to me when I bought a used engine on Tuesday. The book doesn't cover the engine though, it's a newer 300, not the 267, but it's supposed to fit. When I come back I will post a picture of my find. Lnolon, Your 580B is a beautiful site, lots of history there. Phil

  15. #15Countryboy2007-11-26 18:54

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums Lnolon! :drinkup

  16. #16Lnolon2007-11-27 09:09

    Thanks Countryboy. I have been lurking here for about a year now. This place is full of all sorts of interesting info. On the TV145 I own a TV140. It is one of the best tractors I have ever owned. On my farm we use it for haying mostly with a discbine head. I think I have only turned the seat around to face the engine about 6 times. It is a tractor designed around the small to mid sized hay operation. With the loader on it is the equivalent to a small high loader in what it can do. Not as strong as a high loader but I prefer a hydrostat to a tourq converter. The only problem with it is that it is so large. Particularly in comparison to its predecessor the 9030. We kept our 9030 because of its size. obligatory list of overpriced toys NH CR960 NH Versitile 9482 NH TV140 NH TS110 Ford Bi-directional 9030 JD 4450 Case 580 B NH TC35 Ford 9n with cement mixer 1 fleet of trucks to numrous to mention. ..end of ego infaltion :bouncegri

  17. #17Countryboy2007-11-27 18:38

    And where is the obligatory list of pictures.....:cool2

  18. #18Lnolon2007-11-28 08:21

    I willl take my camera with me and get a few at least.

  19. #19Lnolon2007-11-28 19:43

    Here are a couple of pics TV140 TS 110 with 14 ft Arts way blade. It looks dumb but that tractor pulls it rather well Another shot of the case on a slightly to small trailer. I will try to picture the rest when I have time. Anybody else have a good picture of the trusty rusty equip.?

  20. #20Countryboy2007-11-28 19:48

    Nice equipment. :drinkup How do you like that bi-directional tractor?

  21. #21Lnolon2007-11-29 12:09

    getting off topic I really like the TV140. It handles really well, easy to maneuver in tight spots. Has lots of power. If you are on dry ground you can spin all four tires pushing. In wet ground you can dig four holes at once. I have only stuck it once in a hidden spring and it took the 9482 to pull it out. I wish I had pics of that. The engine side tires were completely submerged. It took allot of water to clean up that mess. The only big problem with it is the small size of the radiator. It will stuff full of junk when I run the discbine in dirty grass. Never had a problem with alfalfa though. I have cleaned out several ponds with it and it worked well. What I never understood is why ford never put a backhoe on the 9030 with a loader on the engine side. I think it would have made a wonderful backhoe you can squeeze a 9030 anyplace with an 8ft opening as the tires track together. Here are a few more pics. Ford Versitile 9030 Veasitile 9482 Newholland cr960

  22. #22Phil2007-12-06 20:03

    I found a picture of a backhoe I had years ago. This was the most comfortable machine I have ever operated, when it came to ride. It had the dreaded 6 cylinder International engine that was a hard starter. They used the same engine in farm equipment and cranes. This is the only 3800 I have ever seen without a cab. Only a mother could love. Phil

  23. #23Lnolon2007-12-12 08:08

    That’s a cool looking machine. Did it have 4 wheel steering?

  24. #24Phil2007-12-13 06:40

    Only the rear wheels would steer, making the machine more awkward than other backhoes. The transmission was an Allison, which was a 2-speed with a two speed converter. It would really go on the road and never gave me any trouble all the years I had it. I believe a 3-53 Detroit would bolt right up to this transmission, and would make a better unit, if you could stand the noise. Phil

  25. #25Phil2008-01-14 16:05

    I finally got my 680 B in the garage today, the one only a mother could love . Actually it's starting to grow on me. I've started taking out the old 267 engine. The air breather snorkel was gone so the intake manifold and breather was full of water. I'll post a picture of the 301 Case engine out of a newer 680 that I'm going to put in. Phil

  26. #26Phil2008-01-15 16:17

    I got the 680 engine out today. This machine is really beefy and well made, I think I'll call her "Brutus". I had to cut a few bolts including the front motor mount bolt. Then I couldn't get the engine up high enough to clear it. Had to put an old chop saw disc,about 8", in a 4 1/2"grinder to cut the bolt shank under the motor mount. Good thing the boss didn't see that(I am the boss ). Ordered the converter seal and fuel filters. I see someone added an electric fuel pump underneath ,so I'm going to check the fuel tank out just in case. The radiator is in great shape except for the hoses. There are a few differences between these 2 engines. More later. Phil

  27. #27Cavalo2008-01-15 22:21

    Boy that looks like quite the job........nice pics. I ran a 680 Case backhoe many years ago, I cant remember what year it was.......I am guessing it was late 70s. It was a Brute of a machine and in those days it was considered a pretty big hoe. Everyone used say ohhhhhhhhhhh a 680 Case!! W-hoe! (Whoa.......get it!)

  28. #28kirk222008-01-29 18:49

    Phil, that doesn't look too bad. Below is a photo of something I've been working on. It's probably been parked there for 20 some years now. This picture is after I did a fair amount of cleanup. Yes those are small trees growing on the roof. The trees and leaf debris backed up the roof drain and the engine drank water for a very long time through the exhaust. When I get back home next week, I can post some before pics. They will make your backhoe look like a show model.

  29. #29coopers2008-01-29 19:37

    Kirk22, you have pics of your newly acquired backhoe? Blake WA

  30. #30kirk222008-01-29 19:46

    No but I will take some tomorrow. It's in need of a paint job but first it's going to have to build my shop

  31. #31coopers2008-01-29 20:26

    Oh yes! Well cool, love to see before and after. Here's what I used to operate. Blake WA

  32. #32kirk222008-02-09 13:54

    Here's is my entry into the ugly contest I had it running briefly. Had to use 3 scrap engines to get enough good parts to make a complete one. After I had enough amps to crank it over fast enough it started right up. I had to use an old head that had severe corrosion in the exhaust ports. I rebuilt the head and cleaned up the ports but I screwed up. The floor of the ports were pretty thin and I opened up two holes into the water jacket that I didn't notice until the engine was running. I found another head to replace it and now I'm just waiting to grind the new valve seats. I'm thinking about putting a backhoe on it (3rd picture) with a tree cutting disk. Hmmm, That reminds me. Does anyone know if the front bucket arm on that old case will fit on a 580B?

  33. #33Phil2008-02-09 19:01

    Okay kirk22, there's no question you have posted the picture of what must be the ugliest machine out there. You get 1st prize .:drinkup What kind of forwarder is it, Tree Farmer, Franklin..? What kind of engine does it have? I've heard of people converting these back to a skidder. Would make a good off road dump truck. And the backhoe, only a mother could love it too. I think the loader bucket arms are the same on a 580CK and 580B..not sure. I have both of these machines outside, I'll take a look tomorrow. Definitely first class pictures...I'm saving them for sure. Phil

  34. #34kirk222008-02-09 20:09

    You are good. It's a Franklin ...errr... was a Franklin Pac-a-back??? 453 Detroit. I had to outbid the scrapper on the two engines in the photo below. One engine has a good case. The other was trashed but with a good blower. The topside of the machine is a bad design so I cut it off. It had cracks everywhere. It needs to be shortened too but that's the easy part.

  35. #35Phil2008-02-10 06:48

    Oh wow, you don't waste any time getting to the heart of it. Looks like you do need a shop. Phil

  36. #36kirk222008-02-10 07:31

    Not that quick. This has taken several years now. It took a while to stumble across the engines and find tools, missing parts, learn about the engine, etc.

  37. #37Phil2008-02-10 15:45

    Kirk22, here are 2 bucket arm pictures, blue one is the 580CK. I think the old Case your referring to is a 580CK and I believe it's the same loader arm assembly as a 580B. Phil

  38. #38kirk222008-02-10 16:16

    Thanks a bunch Phil. This is looking promising. It has CK on the dipper arm. I'll check if it is a 580. I need to pay for and move that old thing before it gets cut up for scrap. I may have to get that logger rolling so I can drag this old hoe under an old excavator so the excavator can pick it up onto a trailer. Maybe there's an easier way??? Any tips on moving a non-running hoe onto a trailer?

  39. #39Phil2008-02-10 18:35

    I think the serial # is on the right side of the dash on a 580CK, can't remember. More valuable than a 530CK, both are being restored by alot of people and I would consider it a far better prize than the forwarder, if you don't mind me saying so. I might be so bold as to say I would rush down there soon with the money, then get a roll-off platform truck to deliver it. These trucks work great for disabled machines, even with the hoe down and the loader bucket down, they pull hoes on easily with their cable. I see the outriggers are up too. Otherwise rent the nearest backhoe you can find to push it on your trailer, or at least pull it out to the road. Maybe a contractor would move it for you on a weekend. Sometimes it's better to pay the money and get it home.Then you can:drinkup Phil

  40. #40Phil2008-02-12 19:28

    I had another idea, build a winch for your trailer powered by a hydraulic motor .Phil http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13933

  41. #41kirk222008-02-13 06:23

    Well that would be nice if I owned a truck or a trailer I need to move both machines to the other side of the state fairly soon. I'm wondering if I can put the old CK on the back of the Franklin and drive the whole thing onto a lowboy. I'll be down there today so I plan to take measurements and get more info about the old CK and the excavator. It would be nice if the excavator has enough power to lift the backhoe. I'm not taking any bets though.

  42. #42Phil2008-02-14 06:19

    I see your predicament. Do you ever tackle anything easy? How many miles they got to go? Phil

  43. #43kirk222008-02-21 08:43

    It has to go about 250 miles. That old backhoe is a 530. The bucket arm looks the same but I will need to take measurements. I just had several thousand pounds of steel stolen from that franklin. Errrrr! I really need to get that thing going before the rest of it disappears.

  44. #44Phil2008-02-21 12:24

    That's quite a piece to go. I won't buy a machine any farther away than that. A thought crossed my mind the other day, when I saw a long float. Wondered if the forwarder could be pushed to the front, the backhoe put on the back with the loader bucket over the forwarder bunks and the hoe swung sideways. Of course, you would need to have a backhoe there to load and the right size float. Maybe a bad idea..... Phil

  45. #45kirk222008-02-26 19:57

    Well I started that pig up today. It's purring like a really loud kitten. A few months ago some crack head stole the exhaust system that I unbolted so tomorrow I have ear muffs on the packing list. The second new head I rebuilt is working good so far. I still need to adjust the governor. That was a little confusing at first but I narrowed it down to me not knowing what I was doing and a replacement part on the governor that is not the right length. I think I will be able to try to drive it tomorrow. That still won't be easy because that crack head also stole the seat. :Banghead:Banghead:Banghead The above would all be funny or somewhat amusing if it wasn't happening to me. Phil, the next picture you may see here could be a case 530 on the back of this pig. I'm not betting yet though. PS. I need a non-contact tachometer. Any opinions?

  46. #46Phil2008-03-07 06:42

    Only a mother could love Brutus came out of the shop today under her own power. Finally got that 680C engine running. Lots of minor plumbing changes to fit the newer engine in, also 3 stuck plungers in the injection pump. Engine runs well, brakes work, shuttle works good. Lots of leaks around the hoe cylinders. Phil

  47. #47JD40202008-03-18 17:34

    My neighboor has an old Ford backhoe, I have no idea about model or year, but its awesome, even if it doesnt all work. But you sure could tell when hes starting it up. Its old and rusty but its a great little machine.

  48. #48Phil2008-03-18 19:05

    JD4020, People can get really attached to machinery. Some engines seem to have a calming effect, usually idling . I've come across a few machines that were nice just to start up and drive back the lane. The old Cat D9G's and the earlier D9D dozer, I believe, had a particularly sweet idle to them. If parked under a shade tree on a summer day, they would put the operator to sleep. Getting back to the Ford 3 cylinder diesel, it's a real nice running engine. There's nothing like driving one back in the field to do a little diggin' on the weekend...good to relieve the stress whether it's from home or work. Some operators will name their machine, paint it right on the front, even talk to it when in harms way. Call me nuts but we need machines. Even the ugly one's have someone that will take care of them. Phil

  49. #49JD40202008-03-18 19:38

    Thats all sounds very true. The ole Ford doesnt run the best anymore, but I still love hearing it come around once in a while. The last real work it did was load ATV's into the back of the dump truck a few years ago. it made a put, put, put put, put, that was so perfectly timed:bouncegri. My favorite was when you gave it just a little throttle, best sound a traactor could make.

  50. #50jim shepard2008-03-18 20:30

    like the sound of my 9 n farm tractors,,love that sound

  51. #51Phil2008-03-19 05:20

    I had a Ford V8 flathead engine in the shop for years, I think it was out of a '53 dump truck. A chap came to buy the flathead for his Ford 9N tractor, said he had found a Funk adapter at a yard sale. He was really happy about the engine, since I had taken great pains to get everything with the engine, even the decal plate off the firewall, before the truck was scrapped. Right beside it I have a Ford (overhead valve) interceptor engine out of a boat. So there he explained, was the evolution of the Ford gas engine, only a couple of years apart, the two engines were very different. I don't know if anyone ever put a hoe on the back of a 8N or 9N; one of the oldest hoe's I have ever seen was on the back of a Fordson Major. It had cables to swing it. Only a mother could have loved it. Phil

  52. #52Phil2008-04-15 21:10

    My 680 has got me stumped If you look back at post #47, she was working good then, a few oil leaks.... It was just below freezing, but the manifold heater got her started one morning recently. Let her warm up a few minutes, then she wouldn't move. Looked at the clutch pressure and it was just about 50 psi, then as it warmed up it got a bit higher. It would move then, but I'm afraid of burning up a clutch. I've had the valve assembly apart and replaced the gaskets. Drained the oil and tried to get a look at the pump inlet screen. Anyone out there got a service manual for a 680B? Hate the thought of having to pull the engine out again. Phil

  53. #53Phil2008-06-11 19:47

    reserection Found time to work on my 680B these last few days. A friend sent me a service manual on an older Case loader with the same shuttle, but I still ended up pulling the engine out. Found thick black sludge in the bottom of the pickup screen. The screen had collapsed on the pickup tube, leaving only a quarter sized screen covered hole to suck through. I'm pretty sure this is the problem, so back in she goes. Phil

  54. #54gravytrain4162010-04-06 23:16

    C.Alford, if you're still here somewhere, would you mind emailing me? I have a customer who bought an operator's manual for an RL-451, and he's interested in talking to someone else who owns one. If you were ok with it, I'll get you two (or your dad) hooked up with each other's email addresses. Thanks! --clint ( [email protected] ) By the way, that was my ebay picture there! I was surprised to see it. Just sold that operator manual after it sat for 3 years!