only the King of Obsolete would try and get 14 collectables up and running on xmas day at -30c. i have been doing this for the last couple of years and this year we are trying for. 2- td-6s. 2- td-9s, 2-td-18s, 1- d6 9u, 1- 1938 maple leaf truck, 1- 1938 gmc truck, 1- 1939 chevy truck, 1- linn tractor, 1- 1947 lowrider car 1- monster truck 1- 1974 Screaming Ford semi here is a couple of pictures of getting ready today. thansk KoO Published Author
thansk guys. just came in for a warm up and update the BBs. i have everything plugged in to the house shop and welding sleigh. i put the sunflower on in the welding sleigh to warm up the lincoln ranger 8 welder before i tried to start it. when i did start the welder up there was no problems because it was toasty warm in the welding sleigh. i have 3 big cats and 2 small ones around the welding sleigh that are plugged in to supply power for the 1500kw block heaters. next i have a few batteries in the shop to warm up and freshen up with the battery charger. it will be a long night checking on block heaters and batteries, lol. thansk KoO Published Author
Merry Christmas to you up there King. I've enjoyed your posts about the Kingdom over the years and love all your old iron. Have fun and keep up the traditions. Juskatla
I was just looking at your website real quick. The Ford Louisville looks familiar for some reason.
All the best KoO. I'm looking forward to a picture of all those stacks steaming.
valleyfirewood-- the Screaming Ford is featured on Ice Road Truckers http://www.history.com/shows/ice-road-truckers/cast/joey-barnes it was an uneventful night in which i was able to get some sleep. woke up this morning at 9am and check the electrical breakers in the house and shop. none of the breakers tripped which is a good sign. then i checked on the welder in the welding sleigh and everything was fine. i snapped a few shots after i checked the block heaters with my heat gun. i then checked how cold it was outside and according to the heat gun nothing will be happening till noon when it has warmed up a bit, lol. thansk KoO Published Author
all the best for today King :notworthy down here at the bottom of the world its all sunshine and 20c But am sure all your fans in kiwiland and Oz are cheering you on :drinkup Enjoy one of these today, merry Christmas Merv
Ok??? I posted to this thread this morning and its gone?! Why are my posts disappearing constantly?!!!!
Was there another one besides the I see from 6:45 a.m.?
well we had a slight change in plans this afternoon. we missed the 3pm deadline for getting the cats up and running. the 3 pm deadline is for taking pictures because we only have about 6 hours of daylight during the day right now. xena and i worked for 5 hours getting 2 cats going and gave up on the third one when the deadline came. the problem we had was it was just too cold. it was so cold the push button switch would not work to get the motor started on the d6 9u known as The Hood. once we got that cat running all we had to do was pull start the other ones. the first cat we tried was the td-9 known as Bad Business took only 3kms to get him up and running. the oil in the trans and final drives is so thick when it is this cold, nothing would turn. all the cat did was just slide along behind The Hood like a big stone bolt. once i got him up and running then we tried the td-18 known as Dually. same problem with the tracks not wanting to turn. Dually made for a nice 26,000lbs stone boat which The Hood had no problem pulling. by 3pm we gave up because of the deadline but it is not over. i'll make a few modifcations to the cats and we will try this again because it is good to find these small little problems on the cats. thansk KoO Published Author
Now that's what I like to see ! Old yellow towing the red fellow Hope you post that pic on redpower joey well actually a video would be even better :notworthy Kriste that looks cold. u better have some whiskey instead of beer to warm yourself up !!
yes d6 merv, yellow pulling red but maybe next time i'll switch it around and it will be red pulling yellow. but there will be no green or orange at any time in the Kingdom, lol. xena took some pictures of a lot of smoke but no fire as we tried to start the td-18 known as Dually. closest thing we got was smoke rings which means it is trying, lol. my co-star gerry caught up to us heading back in the bush driving the td-9 known as Bad Business. when it was all said and done i was covered in raw fuel from the Dual stacks on the td-18. thansk KoO Published Author
I am getting cold just reading this. I sure enjoy your posts KoO, but I am also glad to be in SoCal, where it was 75 today, and equipment will start in the morning with no hassles.
Nothing wrong with a good orange crawler king ! A HD5 or HD9 would suit you; and the screaming ford would be happy to have a few stable mates to talk GM power with As for the green crawlers, as in dear john, don't think any of them would be old enough for you ! Besides only 'greenie' I like is a TS14 :notworthy
There is the one at 2:45 and I had posted again in response to Joey's post and that one is gone. It has happened a few times, seems to be when I post from my phone.
Knice job KoO from Maine ! U still eat cheese whiz?
JDOFMEMI -- when it is this cold and the equipment won't start, then you get to drink more coffee as the day warms up to -30c as a daytime high. then try to start the equipment again. D6 Merv -- i'm colour blind and with my collection getting to big i have limited it only to red and yellow. in the yellow section i'm only collectting the d6 9u because they were the best winter freight cats. in the red section i'm collecting td-6, td-9 and td-18, no td-14 because they were not a good winter freighting cats. cletrac was another popular winter freight cat but i'm not collecting them because i'll have no room, lol. ValleyFirewood -- keep trying, we enjoy your posts. DigDug -- got 8 jars in the pantry for the month of january when money is tight and it is long cold days ahead, lol. working on the collectables, getting ready for a re-try on the "get everything running day". the smokey td-18 is in the shop getting a few adjustment made. thansk KoO Published Author
Variety is the spice of life king Your abit like me, we cant get different women BUT we can get different crawlers !!! HD5 is much much easier to work on than any TD6 ever could possibly be plus you will love the sound of a 2-71 :notworthy Cheers for 2014 !! its here already where I am :drinkup
You must have a cast iron gut to be able to handle cheez whiz! I'm convinced its axle grease with yellow coloring!
Were the TDs popular where it was cold because of starting on gas. I have only been around 2 and i cant remember what they were the biger one was around the size of a D7. It would blow smoke like no other at start up.
KoO , been having some -20 degree weather here in Maine which is colder than usual. Made me think about you up there. Im sure your a lot colder and cant imagine getting those rigs running. Stay warm. doug
I've kinda been keeping tabs on you for several years now and am always amused by your stories KoO. I don't have to fight the cold as bad as you do and usually only have to keep my 1206 IH tractor running to feed hay with and blow snow here in West MN in the winter. I know that sometimes I have to set on the 1206 when it first starts and hold the clutch down and releasing it a little at time with the tranny in N when it's colder than 10 below F. Sometimes it takes 5 minutes or so before I can keep it running with the clutch out at 1000 RPM's. I do have a cab that I'm thankful for because I have a 12 miles round trip to make to keep my MIL's drive blown out. Really jealous of yer crawlers. I'm keeping an eye out for an older D2 or 4, maybe a TD6. Be nice to find one with the PTO on the rear. So far our coldest here this year has been -27F. Rick