So the people i clear snow for in the winter sometimes have a hard time finding good operators to run their equipment, this year not being any different than years gone past. The operator of this piece was hired and told them he had 25 years of experience running grader, so they sent him out in I believe it is a 05' Volvo 740B Snow Fighter All Wheel Drive to work with the city clearing snow (easy work the city doesn't do much in 12 hrs, no need to hurry). Story i heard was he didn't bother to lift his blade when he came to the train tracks, or to decelerate for that matter and apparently hit the tracks in 4th gear. Snapped the mouldboard in half about 2 feet in on the left hand side. Not a very good pic will have to get a better one for you guys, but they say a pic is worth a thousand words so here goes ]
I hope someone called the railroad so they could check the track alignment. Very bad juju if the rails were knocked out of guage. Rick
Wow that's bad. Kyle
My first thought, we had a derailment caused by a lobed hitting the rails a few years back.
Wonder how them Sweedish windshields taste?
My exact question. Did he go through the windshield? If not he sure as h--- should have. I can't imagine that happening. Wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllll, nothing surprises me any more either.
I hope you did not give him another days work .Annoys me when these Mugs so blatanly lie to you about thier experience i know Accidents do happen But Stone trhe flamin crows, they think we came down in last snow storm so fair shake of the sauce bottle mate I hope you sacked him OR is it Like Australia and New Zealand you have to give them warnings hold thier hand tell them 3 times what naughty evil son of a female dog they are befor you can fire them
All you need now is to hire a welder with 25 years experience to fix that.
Sort of looks like someone forgot to install some cutting edges too. Some JB weld and a little bondo and it will look like new. I wouldn't worry about the rail road crossing too much. The engine with straighten it right out, for a second
Maybe the board was down and it hit something ....say like a railroad crossing at just short of full tilt, speed wise, fast enough to break the mole-board might just shear the cutting edge bolts do you think......
where in the city was this? there were some stupid operators out there this past week. especialy in the uni-city area. monday overnight a tandem left the Wilkes snow dump with its box up, made it up the clover headed north bound on the perimiter ended up hitting the roblin street over pass...:Banghead welcome to a fellow winnipeger! :drinkup
Same thing happened about 2 years ago 30 miles from here and it did mess up the tracks. That set was a major thoroughfare. They(the railroad)sent up a crew immediately that night to start repairs, took less than a day to fix, think they had it fixed by morning even. I need to ask somebody that lives next to there(CRS)and seems like I do remember $250,000.00 I'll give a follow up post, sorry guys I've slept since then.
I'm not sure where in the city he was working. I always end up in the maples with a 92' 740 champion w/ cable wing. they always send their new equipment to the city while us that have to work in the contract area get the ole girls to deal with, mind you i like my ole 92' 740 the ole girl cuts ice like a mother ****** has lots of power, has a spare tire mounted on the front, diff locks still work and has had a new clutch recently and has the 8 speed powershift only thing it don't have is float which would be nice but i'll take this machine over any of the old 80's two sticks they have any day like i said ealier when i get out to the shop i will try to grab a few more pics of it. And it did have cutting edges on it before it hit the tracks, the bolts didn't seem to hold up to the impact with the tracks. I'll mention it to the mechanic about throwing new blades on it and a lil bit of JB weld and a coat of paint see what he says LOL should be interesting
In Winterpeg it was probably only 93 below zero, no wonder! Sorry I just couldn't resist. Hope I don't do the same thing. On the rail line in Western Australia where I'm working a three day derailment cost $193 million in lost production.
WOW!!!..I've never seen a moldboard break like that...
impressive breakage ! best i get to see is rooks articulating into the wing,lolz
Depends, if he was on probation you can show him the door straight away, especially if he lied in the job interview about his experience.
haha first thing that came to mind was that swedish fish candy...hahaha