Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Oops

jkiser96 ยท 2009-11-29 16:38

This happened on a tile job I was doing. I tracked back over my trench & the bank gave way. It took 45 minutes to get it out but no help needed, it got out on it's own.

Replies25
  1. #1xcavator1202009-11-29 17:12

    We just had the same thing happen with a ditch-witch trencher. The operator tracked back over the trench, and it didn't hold. Had to fill in the trench, behind, under and in front to get it out. Bad practice to back or drive over your trench..

  2. #2jkiser962009-11-29 17:45

    Yeah it is bad practice but I took it for granted since it was only 15' long. Assumption is the mother of all screw ups. At least I was the only one there & also the owner so I didn't have to explain myself.

  3. #3nobull12009-11-29 18:41

    Just curious, do you want to tell us how you got it out?

  4. #4jkiser962009-11-29 19:27

    Since I couldn't swing the house, I was able to swing the boom & find a sweet spot with th eright angle & it picke dup the down side. The high side was actually on enough good ground to support the machine & I just walked it out. I tried pulling myself out with the bucket but it wouldn't pull so I just tried every idea I could come up with.

  5. #5nobull12009-11-29 19:37

    Always interesting how people get out of situations. Did you do any damage to the machine?

  6. #6jkiser962009-11-29 19:57

    No damage but I thought my new door was going to pop. I heard it pop one time & quit becausw I was not losing $900 on a screw up. Oh yeah it did take about 20 minutes to get the seat out of my butt from initial shock.

  7. #7strott2009-12-01 14:30

    New underwear time then!! Glad you and machine are both in full working order.

  8. #8CinOK2009-12-01 15:58

    Thats the one part of the small excavators and even the small TLB if the soil conditions are not great and unless you have a small bucket and big rocks you can wind up like this Mulitple times

  9. #9roadrunner812010-01-01 11:51

    Been there done that, I had to chain my tb135's blade to my 76' highboy to keep it from sliding farther into the ditch and then was able to turn and lift myself out. I felt stupid and I got the tires dirty on my pickup.

  10. #10Diamondback2010-01-01 13:50

    Is that a 430 zhs?

  11. #11Jam2010-01-02 17:23

    You cant beat burying a mini for bit of craic.......

  12. #12Tigerotor77W2010-01-02 18:20

    ^ What happened there?!?

  13. #13Anto Modded2010-01-02 18:33

    Mac rental for the win...................

  14. #14kthompson2010-01-03 17:47

    Well I did not back over my trench, turned out it was not deep enough and had to be dug deeper. Well it fit between my tracks fine and the ground was stable....well until began working then one side caved but stopped before laying on it's side. As soon as I was out of there learned the benefit of the boom being rotated and digging with it sideways.

  15. #15jkiser962010-01-15 13:50

    Yeah it is a 2004 430 ZHS. I have been very happy with the machine so far.

  16. #162stickbill2010-01-15 14:02

    Now we all know.

  17. #17Waldoc12010-01-17 18:10

    Seat removal I know what you mean about the seat removal. My pucker switch also inhaled the seat once when I had to do a high bucket dump. I knew better BUTT I did it any way. The bobcat was on the balancing point on the front 2 wheeles. I also thought I'd have to have the seat surgically removed from my behind. It NEVER pays to take short cuts or do things in a hurry because it will cost a lot more in the long run:usa

  18. #18sandnsnow2010-01-17 21:18

    I've done that same thing. Funny it seems to always occure when people are using mini's. I used the boom swing and was able to pull myself up just enough to walk the machine out. I did end up buying the ashpalt that I scrached up with the teeth. I learned my lesson there. I knew better two.....

  19. #19strott2010-01-18 14:25

    I suppose minis are usually used in tight spaces/sites so you have to work at tighter angles and closer to the areas that you have excavated and therefore more likely to encounter an issue.

  20. #20CRAFT2010-01-26 01:22

    "Bindare-don-dat " ... not very funny at all, especially if your machine don't 'ave swing boom ...luckily I had my large skid to dig enough out to swing the house and assist lifting ..... its all in a days work ....chalk one up to experience !

  21. #21STAFFORD2010-02-28 01:03

    Did you really think you were going to make it?

  22. #22jkiser962010-03-03 20:45

    I was only using the 2' bucket which I have done several times. I was ripping the old tile out & it just got a little crooked with the pulling & the bank gave way.

  23. #23CATcountry2010-04-07 19:19

    In AZ a guy I was working for did the same thing with his 200lc deere used my 430 to push dirt under his tracks without hitting the gas main (natural) or the water main we were installing and without him picking up the boom into the power lines. It was fun. just thought I'd share a non-mini incident with y'all. Frank

  24. #24strott2010-04-08 15:46

    ^^That must of been like yoga for excavators!! - machines twisting and contorting like a pretzel trying to miss all those obstacles!!^^

  25. #25CATcountry2010-04-10 20:30

    it was interesting but screw ups usually are!!! Frank