Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Oops, how to repair seat? case 580C

boomvan ยท 2008-07-16 12:29

In my first day of ownership of my "new" 580C, I took out the floor panels to access the break system and top of trans. In doing so, I removed the seat and accidently unleashed the evil power of the seat suspension spring. This spring is about 5 foot long and needs to be compressed to fit back into the 1 foot long cylinder. Do you guys have any recommendations on how to get this spring back into where it belongs? Surely I'm not the first one to make this mistake? :beatsme Thank you..

Replies15
  1. #1cat3202008-07-16 16:15

    sorry I have never had that happen when i had mine those type of compretion springs are a pain I would call your local case dealer they may know how to put it back in.

  2. #2digger242j2008-07-16 20:43

    Is that how long it is? Now I feel really lucky. I had that happen to me once, but fortunately, it was in the process of turning the seat around to face the backhoe. It only came up about 6 or 8 inches, and I was holding onto the seat at the time, so it was fairly easy to get the spring back inside just by getting it lined up and pushing the top part of the column back down where it belonged. I don't know how you're going to get it back in there now, but I did have just a glimpse of what a headache it might be. Good luck... :beatsme

  3. #3Goose2008-07-16 21:53

    First off there is a snap ring that must be off that keeps the inner tube from coming out of the outer tube when the seat is raised all the way up. To assemble the seat remove the bottom plate on the base, install a new snap ring and extend the seat and feed the spring in from the bottom with the bottom plate which has a guide on it.

  4. #4tresslers2008-07-28 16:16

    I had my seat fly apart on me. The best way I found was to put the seat all the way to the up position as far out as it would go and then put the spring on the bottom part. with two people walk the seat together and bolt it back together. It took a little bit but it works.

  5. #5boomvan2008-07-28 19:41

    yeah, i got this put back together a while ago. i used to front loader, about 3 feet of PVC pipe, full face protection and over an hour of time to get it back in there.. PVC pipe to guide it back in, cutting away 6 inches of PVC at a time.. fun fun.

  6. #6cat 3852008-07-28 19:44

    so it was a really easy to do then huh?ha ha:Banghead

  7. #7Phil2008-07-29 19:48

    I remember doing it once the way Goose explained it, and had no problem, maybe my spring was weak. Phil

  8. #8Schaeff582021-04-29 12:36

    @boomvan Any closer to this? Did you get it done? having the same issues.... this thread here:

  9. #9Schaeff582021-04-30 07:19

    Oh Hey sorry I see this now...." yeah, i got this put back together a while ago. i used to front loader, about 3 feet of PVC pipe, full face protection and over an hour of time to get it back in there.. PVC pipe to guide it back in, cutting away 6 inches of PVC at a time.. fun fun." went right by it So how does the seat stay together? Or do you just have to keep you ass on the seat as you adjust it to spin around, up down etc... I bought what I think is the snap ring.. but have no clue where it goes. Thanks! Schaeff58

  10. #10Schaeff582021-05-01 08:12

    Think I got it figured out, over at this thread:

  11. #11aighead2021-05-03 14:06

    Beware @Schaeff58 , though it sounds like your problem has been solved, this thread was 13 years old when you replied to it. Occasionally you get lucky and the other users are still around but often they aren't.

  12. #12Schaeff582021-05-04 07:35

    Sage advice Aighead, and I do appreciate and understand. Somethings ya just gotta reach out and hope for the best. Thanks for your comment!

  13. #13bobs580c2024-06-24 15:34

    I know this is a old post but i just bought a 580c. Turn the seat post upside down,fully extended. Put the spring in, put the cnd cap stem inside the spring, put a metal rod(about 4' long) through the hole in the center of the end cap, then through the spring. As you push down on the end cap the rod will keep the spring inline.

  14. #14franklin22024-06-25 15:29

    I recommend you ditch the factory system. The grooves in the post were wore out on mine, it would not stay in position. So I found a happy medium height between operating the hoe and driving the tractor, and put a muffler clamp around the post to hold it. Worked well, but then major problems happened. I was struggling to dig a large rock out, I had her hooked on it giving it everything it had, and the bucket slipped off the rock. The whole tractor bounced up and bounced me in the seat. Needless to say the next day my back was not doing well, and I was recovering from that over a year. Back to it again, my back will never be the same but it's good enough, and I went and bought one of those cheap spring loaded seats they sell on Amazon. I think it was around $130 when I bought it, you can't even get your original seat recovered for that. I had to lower the seat post down since this seat is taller. And drill some holes in the case seat plate for the new seat. I highly recommend this spring loaded seat. You can adjust it to where if you have a episode like I did (it's happened again, I have a lot of rocks) when the tractor jars you the seat compresses instead of compressing your back.

  15. #15franklin22024-06-25 15:31

    Here it is. Amazon.com