Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Adding aftermarket gauges to Case TLB

boomvan ยท 2008-07-18 13:09

Has anyone added aftermarket gauges to a case TLB? Mine is 30+ years old and although it runs great, the dash gauges don't work. I picked up a 3 gauge set from MO Shucks, (oil press, water temp, voltage), all mechanical, and I'm wondering where I can hook into the engine for the oil pressure and water temp? Thanks..

Replies4
  1. #1stumpjumper832008-07-18 16:31

    What model case? Sometime you can get after market gauges that are designed for your tractor from companies like hershel and A&I. You may also be able to get originals from a case dealer. IMHO, when people add gauges when they could have replaced the originals it subtracts for the equipment and makes it look cobbled. If you want to add extra gauges so you have a better idea of how the machine is running, thats fine, but I'd much rather see equipment fixed right rather than cobbled. Thats my $.02

  2. #2boomvan2008-07-18 16:55

    Its a 1977 580C. The feeling is mutual. I would rather have a clean install of factory gauges myself. However, I don't have time to diagnose what is wrong with the factory gauges, and there has been a lot of hack mods to this machine already, and I just need to get something working for now. The dash isn't in that great of shape either, with all kinds of extra switchs and knobs added that who knows does what. I don't trust anyones work except my own...

  3. #3stumpjumper832008-07-18 17:15

    Here are several comapnies that I have delt with on used parts. 1.) F.P. Smith inc., out of california. If they don't have it, nobody else will. 2.) Wenger's of Myerstown, Myerstown, Pa Their entire business is used parts for both ag and construction machines. 3.) Schaffer enterprises, from Illionis i think... They have a fair amount of older case parts. They all will probably have used pieces to get your case back in shape. Note, the olders cases share parts with the case ag tractors.

  4. #4Phil2008-07-19 07:53

    The old oil pressure sender in the lower middle of the left side of the block has a 1/8"pipe thread I believe, your kit should have the adapters. I don't like using that line they supply in a coil but use 1/4" hydraulic hose instead, although this can make the guage connection difficult even with the proper angle on your JIC swivel fitting. Perhaps someone out there has a better idea . The water temp sensor is at the right rear part of the cylinder head as I remember. Again, your kit should have the adaptor to go from pipe thread to the bulb retaining nut. I think it's 3/8"pipe on the 207D. The voltmeter just monitors battery condition when the key is on I believe. An amp gauge goes in series between the battery and the ignition/alternator, except the starter feed. This gauge requires #10 or #8 wire going to it depending on the alt output. I think I have this right...correct me if I'm wrong, my electrical knowledge is weak . I agree these gauges aren't going to look good on a Case no matter where you put them. I try to fit them in the existing dash or make my own 'holder' out of aluminum plate. Phil