Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Open Gear Grease

FWDtruckparts · 2010-05-12 23:13

I have 3 dragline cranes "Duty Cycle cranes" What can I use on the open gears mostly the turntable gears? The first crane I bought, the previous owner recommended Top Sol synthetic open gear lube. It came in caulking tubes. I thought it was too expensive so I used Texaco Crater compound in 5 gallon pails. Then I used another Texaco product with either in it that was for winter use. Texaco quit making it. Then they only had crater fluid M which flew off the swinger gears and got into the swinger clutches. I don't like lubriplate it is thick and won't stick. I have just found nothing that works half as good as the Top Sol from Cleveland OH but they went out of business years ago. Why some one can't take that formula and start making it again I have no clue. I have never run a lifting crane and don't know what you guys use. I think maybe grease gun grease. I also have a 405 Koering and the manual says to use Gredag 44 but I can't even find out if that stuff existed?:usa

Replies12
  1. #1Dualie2010-05-13 01:00

    You could try this. http://www.lubeaboom.com/prod_gear.php

  2. #2Lashlander2010-05-13 01:23

    I've always used Chevron Open Gear Lube in the chalking tubes. They make it in aerosol cans too but it doesn't last as long. You pretty much have to warm the tubes up to use them. Longest lasting stuff I've ever found.

  3. #3FWDtruckparts2010-05-13 15:08

    open gear lube Hello I will try Chevron thanks! Some one just gave me a Union 76 sample but they don't make it anymore. The Tops Sol synthetic was really great but they have been out of business for years. I sure wish some one could use their formula. I am new on this site. It seems like there are a lot of users on here it could be a great help at times.

  4. #4FWDtruckparts2010-05-13 15:13

    lubeagear Hello Lubagear sounds great on paper. I will definitely try it. thanks a lot for the reply. :usa

  5. #5liebherr11602010-05-14 21:58

    Lash .. We had a guy come in the shop with a synthtec lube that would out do all other lubes we used.. He sat up his jig..his lube against ours 30 minutes later the Chevron stuff we used still wasnt smoking..his was .. He did it again with another set of jigs and the Chevron stuff kicked it out the door.. We never ever had a properly lubricated part fail during use with Chevron lube's..hell the old Mazda p/u made it home with a little over a liter of Chevron motor oil.. Chevron ..MHO is right there with Mobil 1

  6. #6liebherr11602010-05-14 22:04

    The lube a boom stuff ..Tried that ..Molly grease with STP ..basically.. On ovaloid boom not withstanding Liebherr..Who has their own blend for their boom's specifically..or anyother boom ,My self and others have had very good luck with one bottle of STP to two tub's of White Grease...stirred not shaken ..applied with a 12in or 3in roller..at -10° C still goes on rather easy ..a little stringy ..may want to get up wind..but unlike Molly or EP grease ..comes off easy..:drinkup

  7. #7FWDtruckparts2010-05-14 22:47

    I don't know how many kinds of grease have been used on my 1954 NorthWest Model 6, but when I turned my Jack Russel Terrier loose in my crane to try and kill some Racoons, It almost killed my dog trying to clean the grease off from her hair with different solvents. Poor dog I'll just shoot the Coons next time.

  8. #8FWDtruckparts2010-05-14 22:55

    When the Schaeffer Sales Man did a Demo My Bell Ray Motorcycle chain Lube with Molly held up really well.

  9. #9Lashlander2010-05-14 23:08

    To lube the boom slides on our squirt boom I always used Fluid Film. I also used it to lube the lines. It is the best stuff I ever found for a salt water environment. It comes in aerosol but we bought it in 5 gallon pails.

  10. #10FWDtruckparts2010-05-14 23:22

    Chevron and Schaeffer links http://www.royalpetroleum.com/Uploads/safetysheets/item-1_field5-PIS - Chevron Open Gear Spray.pdf http://www.schaefferoil.com/322_gear_lube.html http://www.schaefferoil.com/silverstreak_lube.html

  11. #11liebherr11602010-05-15 10:34

    Old grease will end up with consistancy equal to Bunker C after while.. We tried fluid film ..it didnt workout..fast paced crane rental and tempertures above 30°C.. didnt last..on colder days in a pinch it was OK.. On hoist lines ,we used Esso Mineral Lube..its a light detergentless non-alkaline oil..creeped through the rope and stayed..an application of that a week or two later the rope was soft easy to handle..at that point another coat ..and your good till the following year when inspection's came up..then just a light coat and sometimes change the rope end for end..depending But the working environment often dictates what gets used where ..Salt water marine is a kill zone for any exposed metal..

  12. #12soothappens2010-06-13 13:44

    I've been using the Bel-ray cable and chain for years. Its held up in some of the worst conditions. I do maintenance every six months on customers trucks and it looks like it was just sprayed on when I return. A little pricey though but well worth it.