Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Open to suggestions IT 928 ??

TheRooster ยท 2015-03-02 20:50

Hey guys I'm new to the forum. I'm looking at purchasing a CAT loader I'm not sure on what model I should get I don't need any thing too large No bigger than a 930. I have been looking at a well maintained 1999 IT928. Ill be using it for manly snow plowing and loading dump trailers Im open to any options I'm looking to spend around 50k I don't need brand new I also hate the ne emissions . Only things I need the machine to definitely have is quick dissconect So I can put a power angle plow on and 4x4. I'm open to any and all suggestions and other brands thanks guys!!

Replies15
  1. #1TheRooster2015-03-02 22:03

    Come on guys I'm not too fond on loaders any help would be appreciated.

  2. #2512high2015-03-03 08:35

    i suggest you pm Neige....he knows CAT inside and out, and a nice person

  3. #3TheRooster2015-03-03 09:09

    Will do thank you !!

  4. #4cuttin edge2015-03-03 09:15

    I find those small loaders to be really under powered. I ran an IT28B once, and it could hardly climb the stock pile. For the money, I would buy a good used Backhoe with a quick attach, and a snow bucket. I think the models with the 4 large tires have good reach height. At least with the backhoe, it would have more uses in the summer. As far as the snow plowing goes, we run 2 Newholland backhoes with 12 foot power angle box blades, along with the loaders, and they manage well.

  5. #5TheRooster2015-03-03 09:26

    I own and operate a 06 CAT back hoe now I use it year round and plow with it in the winter i have the 10' power angle cat plow. I love it compared to running a pick up but I'm looking for a loader like you said something with bigger tires all around. I need something that can load dump trailers quicker than the backhoe, and something that can stack the snow higher. It doesnt need to be a IT928 Im not a big fan of the 2 front booms on that machine I know why it has them but I don't know many other machines that would be around that size. I'm just looking for input on guys that have operated machines great to know that you think it's under powerd that's the stuff I wanna hear!

  6. #6cuttin edge2015-03-03 09:44

    We run mostly volvo loaders. L45 up to L150. We did have a 938 once, and it was a nice little loader. I've never been worried about the electronic stuff, but I am not a big fan of this regeneration crap. I think after this year, all new machines are required to have it. We have a new Western Star with it, and a new L70 Volvo with it. It's a real pain in the ass to be in the middle of something, and have to stop and regenerate.

  7. #7bigshow2015-03-03 10:13

    We use a lot of 930G & H's on small pipe crews and pound for pound they are hard to beat. They are a good, strong, well balanced loader, any attachments from your backhoe loader will fit a 930 with the proper coupler. Any IT I have came across doesn't have enough power to pull a sick whore off a ****-pot, they all sucked, IT14-IT28, you couldn't give me one. If it was my money I'd find a nice 930 with a quick coupler and the plumbing you desire for your endeavors.

  8. #8TheRooster2015-03-03 10:22

    Thanks big show that's what I'm looking for! What's the difference of a 930G and a 930H and won't most 930s that have the quick coupler have the plumbing already on there? Thanks!

  9. #9bigshow2015-03-03 10:34

    The H is newer than a G, probably some emissions garbage and such. All of our loaders are spec'd from the dealer as we buy new, but they all have couplers and plumbing, so I don't know how the used market is. We also own a couple 928G's as well which are a good loader, they don't have that IT crap going on, just a standard mono-boom.

  10. #10DennisZ2015-03-04 17:55

    How is your monoboom holding up? Especially the front lower pins.... I have a 2001 924G and it is in definite need of new pins and bushings. The narrow boom just can't stand the strain of a wide bucket. That's why CAT stopped making them. I now also have a 924K, much more machine, better loader arm and much more powerful transmission.

  11. #11bigshow2015-03-04 18:08

    We've never had a problem with them and they get run hard. I always thought the mono-boom was a poor idea but Cat puts it on the bigger quarry loaders as well. Doesn't Cat still produce some loaders with the mono-boom?

  12. #12cuttin edge2015-03-04 18:29

    Don't one of their 992s have a mono boom.

  13. #13bigshow2015-03-04 18:52

    Something like that.

  14. #14DennisZ2015-03-05 02:26

    Yep the 992K and the 988H are the only ones available. 988K has Z-bar and the 993 and 994 also.

  15. #15cdm1232015-03-05 19:24

    A friend has a IT 28-b that I have run a bit and liked it but he has the narrow tires and it doesn't feel as stable as my 950 or 924G with the wider rubber. But performance wise a very capable machine IMHO.