Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Operating Engineer

biggixxerjim · 2007-01-09 22:49

I have a question for all the union operators on this site, any info would be most beneficial. I was recently invited to come to my local operating hall (825, NJ) to take the apprenticeship test. Does anyone have any information on what I can expect on the test?? Ive been operating on the job for 6 years now.I can fine grade, dig a level trench, run a 3 stick well, good with a lazer, never used a pipe lazer, run all equip except for a pan, read plans and cut sheets, lay a little pipe, etc. What is the usual turn of event for this? I have heard that once accepted, I will be trained on a machine for 6 weeks (no pay), and then once I achive 1000 hours on such a machine working as an apprentice out of the hall (unemployed??), I go back and start this over, for a total of four machines. 6 weeks with no pay sucks. If I were to obtain a national certification in the equipment, would I still ahve to go through the training with the local? Thanks, Jim

Replies8
  1. #1bigbadford912007-01-10 11:55

    I am a union operator for local 18 in Ohio. I am also a third year apprentice. The test I had to take was a basic math, english, and a few different hand eye coordination tests. Then if you test high enough, you get an interview. After the interview they add up all your scores and take the highest people. At this point you’re still not an apprentice you’re a pre-apprentice. You’re a pre-apprentice for 3 weeks, during that time they evaluate your performance. If you operate well enough at the end of the 3 weeks, you’re indentured to the apprenticeship program. During the 3 week pre-apprentice time frame you get a stipend, which I forget how much it was. Then after you’re indentured into the apprenticeship program, you registered for work at the union hall and wait for the call to work. That's how they do it in Ohio. Ted

  2. #2biggixxerjim2007-01-13 18:55

    ONLY one operates for the union here??

  3. #3digger242j2007-01-13 19:57

    I know we've had more than that join us. Not everybody visits every day, or even every week. Give it a few days...

  4. #4Dwan Hall2007-01-13 21:20

    I have been a member of local 302 sence 1973. I joined when I was a custodian for Tacome public schools. Took a leave from them till I strarted my own business in 1982. Was reinstalled as an owner operator. When joining as an owner operator there was no test, just pay your dues. I like this arangement becaue it alowes me to work on non union jobs as well as union jobs. I do not earn many benifits as I am uasualy working for myself but when on a union job I get the same as any other member. I can sing up on the B list anytime I would like but havn't in the last 15 or so years. After you have earned a ssertin number of hours on a job you can advance to the A list.

  5. #5bigbucket2007-01-13 21:38

    The only advice I can give, is call the training center of the local you are applying to, and ask them. They are the only ones that can give definite, up to date answers to your questions about their training. They must get those calls all the time, so don't feel afraid to ask them whatever you need to know to make a decision. Also I believe there is an interview before they decide who they hire, that's a good opportunity to ask them questions. The problem with asking questions on the internet is it's hard to determine if the information is accurate. And people who went through the training already might not have the latest information.

  6. #6bigbucket2007-01-13 21:42

    one thing I forgot One more thing I thought of, every local is a little different what they do in one region of the country might be unheard of in another.

  7. #720dub2007-01-21 12:13

    check out this thread....

  8. #8bigbucket2007-01-21 14:35

    20dub, I guess that is an interesting thread, but it does not answer the specific questions he was asking. If he wants answers to his questions about tests, using his prior experience, etc. he should call their training school. This is a great forum, but remember that on the Internet people can post whatever they want, you can't believe everything you read.