Here's a bunch of pics from when my uncle went through the operating engineer school. I think they date back to the late 50's or early 60's. He went on to work for Mercer-Fraser Co. My Grandfather also worked as a mechanic for them. As a kid I remember them talking about the various machines they ran and worked on calling them by the first part of the s/n (2u, 14a, 15a, 46a, 8t etc.) Never dreamed I'd own and run some of these machines. One of the pics is signed by all the guys in the class. Most are from central California and the bay area. Ellery Marsh is my unc and is second from right in the first pic. LeRoy
more
bored yet?
last three
Cool pictures. I wonder if any of those guys are still at it. Or if any of them can still hear. They must have had MP3 players cuz without cabs theres no place to mount the CD player or hang the pouch for the remote control for it!:usa
Keep those pics coming! What just kills me is everyone wear had hats, but sign of a FOPS! But on a side note, check out the track guarding in the 2nd pic with the dozer, very clever how they did that, gives the track some where to go when it's going over smaller rocks and such.
Great photos you have there... I wonder who the guy is with the jacket and tie and the young 'uns on the 631?
"bored yet?" Nope, keep scanning and posting cause we'uns like the pictures.
Wulf, maybe that guy stopped in with the kids after church on Sunday?
Nice pics! Thanks for sharing them :drinkup
Great pics, I wonder what fuel was then, $0.16 or so
On the high side of town that sounds bout right.
That is some awesome equipment. Looks like it would be really fun to run. I also noticed how empty the hillsides look in the background. If that's central california, you can bet those hills are jam packed with housing developments by now . . .
That training school was probably doing the initial road building for the developments.
Still use those in Socal we had them on all the our oval track dozers.
I thought all scraper operators wore a Jacket and Tie to work each day??
Thats not by chance old photos of the rancho murietta training center thats just southeast of sacremento.
Canevari Timber.. Small world, I built models of your logging trucks as a kid. I alway thought they were the best looking ones out there. I'll question my Dad about the location of the school. I also found more pics from the school and as soon as I get a little time I'll scan and post them.
Small world indeed you working around here. Those pictures look just like where ive got to go every year for my apprenticeship only the equipment and buildings are a little more up to date.
Why that would be the business agent and his kids wouldn't it?....lol
awesome pics!
MarshBros., did you ever upload those pics?
Great photos. Good to see that the 631's I worked around are THAT old. Would love to see more.
That sure seperated the boys from the men, without those guys this industry wouldn't be what it is. My hats off to all of them, thanks for taking the time to post these awesome pics!