Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

operating my first excavator, 10 yd Koehring

doncampbell ยท 2009-02-11 10:32

I have never operated a excavator in my life , so when I got the chance to play on this 1066 Koehring 10 yard machine for an hour , it was a dream come true. I want to make a large scale model of this cool machine too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i-PMTn4B-s

Replies13
  1. #1Vantage_TeS2009-02-11 11:05

    Good lord sounds like that thing needs a little work done to it

  2. #2doncampbell2009-02-11 13:45

    It had a lot of use over the years , once the owner got in it , he cranked up the rpms and it really moved a lot of dirt !! I'm sure much of the problem was me ! ha,ha.

  3. #3insleyboy2009-02-11 21:55

    Not THAT long ago the 1066 was the King of the Beasts! That machine was responsable for the new wave of Mega-Excavators. You learned on a good one. They're all a little more forgiving these days. Nice to see a 1066 again, or any 66 model Koehring for that matter. Seems like they all faded into the scrap heap these days.

  4. #4doncampbell2009-02-12 06:16

    The fellow was operating on a shoe string budget and this is what he found at the cheapest price . I'll have to post some video of the owner running it, it run perfect !!

  5. #5deeredriver2009-02-12 21:59

    Wow good hearing from you Don! I remember you back at the toy tractor page years ago and wondered what happened to you! Was always amazed at the models you have built!

  6. #6curly2009-02-13 18:30

    Very cool! I've barely a few hours with a backhoe and have to say the hardest part is digging level and getting familiar with the controls. I did get to scrape a dump truck bed out without poking holes though! Very cool for you though!

  7. #7john10662009-02-16 19:47

    Don how come you never made a model of the 1066 we still have one long boom and long stick that we bring out for the big sewer work We have a 365c but the guys still want the 1066 over that on the deep stuff

  8. #8doncampbell2009-02-17 10:53

    Hi John, I loved that 1066 excavator !! I very much plan to build a model of it when i get caught up on orders. That day was another dream come true.

  9. #9john10662009-02-17 18:28

    I would be interested in seeing what you will do with that. will you make a mass excavator or long boom and stick version

  10. #10doncampbell2009-02-17 19:17

    I thought it looked pretty cool set up that way .

  11. #11doncampbell2009-02-18 13:27

    Questioning 1066E bucket size ? not 10 yards ?? I was told last night by a fellow that the Koehring 1066E excavator only had a 5 yard bucket ??, I know very little about real heavy equipment ?, so I E-mailed the owner and he told me that was true, but they took the machine in the shop one winter and cut five feet from the stick, cut five feet from the boom , got a Hopto 1900 twin engined bucket , split it two times, widened it almost double , and welded it all back together for a mass excavator style setup. He told me those Payhauler bottom dump trailers haul fifty yards and tfive buckets fill it with dirt spilling over the sides. He also said the MackPacks carry 27 yards and with 10" sideboards, haul 30 yards. Three buckets heap them with dirt spilling over the sides. So under normal circumstances a Koehring 1066E would have a much smaller bucket .

  12. #12Koehringman2009-11-13 10:12

    1066 That looks like a 10 yd bucket to me. The 1066 was turned out in 1968. From then till the early 80's it was Koehring's flagship excavator. It would reach 51 feet, dump height of 30 feet and dig 35 feet down. It had a Detroit 12V71 or Cat D333TA power. At the time it was the only mass produced machine that size. Don the one you operated looked to be one of the early to mid 80's models with the short mass excavation backhoe attachment. I think Koehring invented this design. I have a photo from around 1970 of a 1066 with this. One of the design features of the older excavators that the new ones don't have is REACH. For some reason they all have short booms on them. More digging and less moving.

  13. #13Koehringman2009-12-04 21:11

    What a Sandbox Toy! Don, You'll have to come to Connecticut, and try out my 455. It is a little smaller!