Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

operator journeymen ?

chris-law ยท 2008-09-13 04:30

what is a journeymen what training do you have to undertake in the usa, canada and oz , we have a program called CPCS in the uk which i am led to beleive is accepted worldwide. i would to work in another country if only for a short holiday, especially the us.

Replies15
  1. #1Eric2008-09-13 14:34

    I am not aware of any such thing. Maybe the eastcoast section on this forum may know. Any strong union may have a structure like that. Where I work there is no such classification. I'm in mining. How 'bout it union operators.... what are the qualifications?? Thanks, Eric.

  2. #2Burnout2008-09-13 17:59

    Here our qualifications start somewhere around the guy who drank a case of beer and played around on his buddies machine once.... all the way to guys that actually know what their doing. We hire anyone and anything that will work for us, but maybe thats just an Alberta thing.

  3. #3CM19952008-09-13 18:51

    What tha'.... that's MY qualifications!

  4. #4Squizzy246B2008-09-13 19:35

    Down Under most big operations will conduct in-house training and assessment. Formal qualifications are desirable but not essential. If you touch a crane or a forklift its a whole different ball game. For most earthmoving equipment training courses (Certificate of Competency) is available in each state. These courses range from $400 to $4000.00 Aus. A union site will generally require a CoC or they will send you to their school. Firstly you will need a Blue Card which is like $90 for a basic construction site safety ticket. If you can't pass that you are dead from the neck up. Mining sites require a MARCSTA: http://www.marcsta.com/

  5. #5Lashlander2008-09-13 21:24

    Whats the pay rate?

  6. #6Sharky2008-09-14 00:44

    To your answer, in my own terms... A Journeyman is one who is experienced/qualified in his/her trade, one which can do the bulk of a job without someone "Having to hold his hand". Granted their are lead men and bosses, but they direct the "Qualified" employee to do the work. With the union I work out of, an "Apprentice" starts out at a lower wage and learns as he builds hours in the trade, the more hours he builds, the more he is respected and paid, at the point of 6000 hours (operators union) he becomes a "Journeyman" and graduates in a sense. Now he is paid "Full Scale" and should be worthy of working for any outfit in that trade. Though it dont always work out that way, but it gives you half of the meaning for the term "Journeyman". Some get in a union as a journeyman without being an apprentice, for instance if they have had so many years experience at a non union job doing the same thing. On the other hand, their are "Journeyman" who cant even run a wheelbarrow. ointhead

  7. #7Burnout2008-09-14 12:33

    Depends what ya run, anywhere from low 20's to mid to high 30's. Also depends on experience. Cory..... I didn't know those were your qualifications also.... I will contact HR immediately and tell them we have to change our ways. Can't interfere with your standards.

  8. #8mikef872008-09-14 14:11

    Pay Rate in Boston, Mass for dirt equipment is $36.86 plus health, welfare, pension, annuity. Cranes are $42 and change an hour, plus boom pay over 150 feet.

  9. #9chris-law2008-09-14 17:17

    how hard would it be for an operator from the uk to get work in america, even if only for an extended holiday

  10. #10Burnout2008-09-14 20:34

    I don't know what union rate is here, I imagine its higher than we make, but what I make is what I take home. None of this deductions crap. I am not a union man, I have nothing wrong with them, but I have a permanent position here, good relationship with management, and other than the Alberta government... no one elses hands are in my pocket.

  11. #11mikef872008-09-15 11:22

    I understand, theres good union companies, and bad union companies. There's good non union companies and bad non union companies. Is there a lot of work up your way. Around here guys are struggling to make money.

  12. #12Burnout2008-09-15 23:02

    Very well put. Out here the union is as dominant as it is in other areas. We aren't the highest paying company in the city, but they take care of us quite well. Nice equipment, good benefits, great employer/employee relations and like I said... gooooood pay. I've been here a year and a half and I'm makin more than my foreman.... explain that one. :beatsme

  13. #13redlaker12008-09-16 00:08

    sounds like alot of money for running machines! so are you saying thats what they get paid, but there is no work? or that there is work but that isn't enough money?

  14. #14mikef872008-09-16 13:49

    No the monies great. Theres no work. So the contractors struggling and that means the employees struggle to. I'm doing the best I can to keep my company guys going. I told them they'd all get there 1000 hours in for insurance, but works tight. The guys with all the work are taking it for nothing to have the work. I was suppose to start a large site project, but its shut down till January when the demo company will take it down. I figure about 2 months to take it down so that job won't start till March. I've made it through worse, but I still hate to see these times.

  15. #15reddot5562008-09-27 13:33

    here in calif. in local 3's area, journeymen hoe operators are like $34.00-$36.00 hourly..whats a journey man? anyone who makes money for the company!!..lol