I have been running Heavy Equipment for the lest 3 yrs, I am currently an Equipment Operator IV, highest level the city of Phoenix has, I know it's not a long time but I'm always safe and pretty quick now, I can run more than I can't, so heres my problem, I have a demonstration exam on a D8 or D9 at the city landfill , now I have run a D6 but that was a few years ago and I haven't really run one since, I primarily run a loader, backhoe and any number toy or what the citys calls light equipment, on a daily basis, I am very familar with MSHA rules, and I have been driving end dump for the last 12 years, so I know a few things about pre operation inspections, what I need to know is what are some very specific things I need to check for pre trip on a dozer that size, ans what are the basic controls and how to use them correctly , I'm confident but not arogant that I can run this thing but I would like to do my home work and freshen up my knowledge and maybe a few Utube vids unlike the ice skating D9 , that would help me score high to get an interview I made it to 1 of 9 guys that meets the minimum exsperiance requirements , so I really want to shine here and get this job so I can continue to be a better single dad, with out having to lose my ass $$$$$, thanks a ton for any help anyone can give me , and I found this site by hitting up google. feel free to send me any links to my e-mail [email protected]
Redriderinaz, welcome to HEF! I moved your post here to its own thread, where it's more likely that all the dozer experts will see it. Good luck to you.
Dozer Experts: Yes, that was a very good move digger... :wink2... :laugh OCR Just being a smart aleck
A good friend of mine who I worked with on a couple projects always told me to walk into a job or situation where you aren't terribly experienced like a guitar player strolls on stage and plays with the band without going through dress rehearsal. Point is, sometimes we end up places where we aren't entirely prepared for but that doesn't mean we can't fall into place easily enough, or exceed expectations. Just give it hell, go in like you know exactly what you're doing and don't look back. As far as running the dozer, I'm not a dozer expert, but I have some time on everything up to a D8. I rarely if ever use the brakes, you may know this from your D6 days. They're just so touchy and unless you're really hanging by the seat belt, refrain from jolting the machine and looking like an idiot. If it has a ripper, make sure it's up before you take off. Chances are it won't where you're headed, but hey, you never know. If it's an N, R, or T with diff steer, don't try to think about direction adjustments while turning. I remember the first time I ran diff. steer, it was funky at first. Going forward, no problem, just headed backward seemed like I always went the opposite direction I wanted to for a split second until I got my bearings. My problem was that to remedy the problem, I'd overthink it, big mistake. Make sure you decel fully before changing directions, I actually started a fairly lengthy discussion about this a while back. While there were a few different opinions on the matter, I can almost guarantee you won't get yelled at for decel'ing before changing directions, so make sure you're smooth with that. Again, back to your D6 days, you should be fine there. Once you've run one dozer, you've almost run them all. Was the 6 you ran an H or R, six way blade or fixed? I almsot prefer larger dozers, I run an 8L a little bit at work from time to time. I jump on a little D37 Komatsu and while it's nimble and quick, I like bigger dozers better. Good luck, you'll do fine.
Sorry. I should have said, "...where all the dozer experts, and OCR , will see it..."
I think this is a trick question...............someone is trying to find out who considers themselves an "expert" on a dozer by answering this post.LOL. Kidding aside I would think that it is more an issue of knowing what to do with the machine than being intimately familiar with all the control functions/locations since there is quite a variation between manufacturers and even models of the same manufacturer. I have gotten on more than one piece of equipment over the years and for the life of me could not figure out how to release the brake so I could move it.That can make you look good but there seems to be no standard in the industry to activate/release the parking brake. All dozers will have the basic functions for control and I would not feel a bit embarrassed to ask for a quick familiarzation if you feel it is neccessary,they should repect you more for that than taking a chance on damaging the machine by overlooking something.Good luck.Ron G
dozer test so heres my 2 cents on the subject, and lijke one of the other members said we have had a few discussions about this in the past so hopefully this time i wont start an argument:ban so this is how i would do it tke that for what it is worth! begin by conducting a pre tripp walk arround inspection check for leaks, unusaual damage or wear on the undercarriage you might want to make sure the cutting edges have enough meat on them as well as the teeth on the riper shank. check all the fluids oil, hydro, coolant, trans it may be a good idea to find out what make and model your testing on so you know exactly were to find the sight glasse dipsticks and lid. when checking the oil also check the belts or check for anything unuasual in the engine compartment. get in the cab start the machine let it run for a minute if you have any pretrip paper work to fill out this is the perfect time i know that it is still fairly warm in PHX right now but its till good to make sure that the engine is being oiled propelry. pick up your rippers thaen pick up you balde go through the functions to make sure everything is working corectly. i also think it might be a good idea to do a little research on the specific machine because you mght have a hard time find the park brake or the accelerator switch or lever (depending on the machine) as far as operation goes if your going to be working in a land filli dont think that finishing will be a concern so my opinion about such work is this lower the blade make sure that you are push in a healthy amount of material sometimes an employer will not want you to push in second gear if your pushing a good load than 1st gear is where its at! make sure your blade is full at all times you can generally tell by the windrows that you are leaving. during your push try not to steer with the diff but rater if you need to go to the left drop the left side of your blade and the machine should pull you over. when backing up put it in second but never ever run the machine in high gear ths is extremely rough on the undercarriage. also if the pass you made is rough get one track up on the windrow this will help with the ride and speed production. a few rules that i try to follow. the dozer is made to push so try to back up as little as possible try not to track the machine over long distances never spin you tracks if they start spinnig your trying to push too much i really try not to back drag i was told that a good dozer hand is always pushing, im sure that there will be almost no need to back drag in your setting but there is a time and a place for it. this is were the last one went bad one thing about the city alot of those guys arent the best so like the guy above said show up with a swager but not too much act like you know the machine and push some trash!:drinkup good luck from your neighbor to the north!
When you do your walk around, look for turtles. I know it sounds silly, but the BLM, Department of Fish and Game, Army Core and I'm sure many other government agencies want you to believe that saving that cute little turtle that happens to be napping under your machine is more important than life itself. You may even be required to go through a "turtle academy" like I did where you learn things like covering up evidence while keeping a straight face.
Sounds like you hit a few turtles in your day rop! For us, out in the corn fields, its always a racoon that gets caught in the corn head of the combine! Its an ungly sight, and if ya hit em good enough, they spray blood all over the windshield! Not fun at all
:laugh... :laugh Good one digger. You're one... if not the best... with a classic comeback.... :notworthy I loved it... OCR... Also, redriderinaz... you'll do fine on your test... from what I've read, I think you've gotten some good advice. :thumbsup
Whats the chance you could get to the landfill a few days before the test and look the machine over, you know...get a feel for the old gal? Maybe even talk the current operator into a test drive?
hmm run it like you have an end mission in mind ive learned everything i know by watchin get your kiester up to the dump to see what there doin any jerk can run the thing its knowing what to to do with all the stuff your pushing , for instance i can hand anyone a masons trowel sure they rub it around but are they making the floor look better? read up on the internet on what there trying to accomplish at the dump also i seen a good thing on the history channel anywho good luck
everybody her has pretty much nailed it on the head but the one thing i find working in a landfill is having to work in close with the people that are dumping. i cant count how many times ive been pushing a load and a pipe or 2x4 swings out of the pile some are close calls and sometime's your not so lucky. they say the distance between you and custumer should be 5 times the length of the object that you are pushing but in a busy place that sometimes cant happen. strange things happen at landfills.be carefull and good luck on your test. dirt.
Welcome to HEF dirt digler :drinkup
thank you much pete been hot in indio not to bad in chino
I have recently been working at a waste soil dump (the right word?) with the trackloader, i think it's pretty mutch the same as a landfill area, but you don't push trash. some things i figured out that is important: - besides doing the normal before startup checks, i think it could bee good to look after trash that can break the machine or start a fire. - make a smooth finnish so the trucks can tip safely, if the ground is uneven the truck can roll over when rising the box. - compact with the tracks every feet of ground you push, to get some stability to the ground. othervise you will be having a lot of stuck trucks there... - push away or compact stuff that can puncture tires. good luck!
Paragraphs! Hi pushkid84 (and some other as well These are are all very good advices, but they would be still more useful if the were easier to read! The problem with this article of yours is that it is written all in one long sequence, making it hard to read. It would be so more accessible broken into paragraphs, and of course, periods should be after every sentence. But apart from that I don´t think that small dozers should be backed up in second gear (or higher) in, e.g. rocky conditions, it will kill both your back and your machine. Well, just my 2 euro cents.
professor rofessor You now whats nice about being a equipment operator, no god darn grammer or spelling tests, to witch Hjolli would have a hard time passing. Anyway dont make me break out the the english teacher to correct your grammer and spelling!!! Btw your sentence structure isnt right either.
corrected Hi pushkid84 (and some other's as well) The advise given has ben very good , but it would be still more useful if it was easier to read! The problem with this article of yours is that it is written all in one long sequence, making it hard to read. It would be so more accessible broken into paragraphs, and of course, periods should be after every sentence. But apart from that, I don´t think that small dozers should be backed up in second gear (or higher) in e.g. rocky conditions, it will kill both your back and your machine.:usa P.S. Just my 2 euro cents.
Keep in mind that we have members from across the globe. Before you criticize, take a look at Hjolli's location. Now, if you can make a coherent post in Icelandic, you may be entitled to throw stones... :cool2 On edit: To be fair, you have a valid point about there being no grammar or spelling requirements to be a good equipment operator. On the other hand, I suspect Hjolli, for whom I suspect English is a second language, has an easier time reading posts which are formatted in a more standard fashion. (For that matter, I do too.) That being said, I believe we all do the best we can in posting, and we should all concentrate on what the content is, and cut each other some slack as far as spelling and grammar....
SKOAL, we have a rule here at Heavy Equipment Forums that requires all posts be made in common English. The reference to the F bomb is unacceptable as well. Please make a note of it.
yea well srry one of your admins asked if i could post in a different language you know the one they speak in iceland and so i reposted my origanal message in there language and you didnt like it ,and the letter f stood for fudge k is that cool ??btw how many underage kids are running dozers? God, Guns $ Guts may have helped make america free but i believe it was more likely free speech and right not to be taxed without rep. that started the ball rolling
This thread has outlived its usefulness.
Help for redriderinaz I wanted to point redriderinaz to a dump management video, for younger dump managers, but that thread became locked. Check out "Mighty Machines - Volume 2" It has a segment "At the Garbage Dump", and I think that it will be better than any You-Tube. John
Soo, ok, Deere John proved me wrong about the thread having "outlived its usefulness". He had something useful to add and began another thread. Through the magic of the internet, I re-opened this thread, and merged that thread into this one. Thanks, Deere John, for bringing this one back on track. :notworthy (WHICH IS WHERE IT SHALL REMAIN...)
Appologies from the "professor" Ok guys, of course I am aware of that English is my second (or even third) language, and of course, being a good operator is NOT all about being good at spelling or writing for that matter. But I stick to my point that regardless of language or spelling skills, it is desirable to make your writings READABLE. I wouldn´t want to like to see that kind of continuous text in my own language either. Best regards Hjolli
Wow Almost perfect even... How did you do that...
I think both you and I know that we´re pretty much off-topic now.....
Anyone that wishes to start a thread in TGIF about spelling and grammar, and when, or if, it is important, is welcome to do so. Then and there, the spelling Nazis and the functional illiterates can battle it out, and may the best side win. (And if there's too much blood shed, we'll lump that together with politics and religion as things we don't talk about here on HEF.) Until that happens, the subject is closed. DON"T DISCUSS IT ANY MORE IN THIS THREAD! (Hopefully, that is readable.) :Banghead :Banghead :bash