Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Operator Pay

biggixxerjim ยท 2007-04-02 22:11

So how much are you guys makin out there?? Hourly wages, overtime, benefits... the whole package. And to employers, what do you look for in a worker that makes them worth such and such amount to you??

Replies29
  1. #1RollOver Pete2007-04-03 00:01

    The whole package... $50.00+ Time 1/2 =$54.00 The money I have made for my employer... Countless...

  2. #2alco2007-04-03 02:12

    I'm not sure of the total figure including benefits, but my hourly wage works out to a little over $52. All overtime is double time. Our benefits are all company paid and include 100% coverage on everything except drug coverage, it's only 90%. Brian

  3. #3biggixxerjim2007-04-03 02:38

    Canada seems like it might be a cool place to live, have u ever lived in the US?? What is the cost of living like up there??

  4. #4Grader4me2007-04-03 05:04

    Easy Brian, this is making my mission to keep our operators here in the province a little harder To bad the cost of living is so high...There I feel a little better...I think...Need a grader operator out there?? Wow!

  5. #5nedly052007-04-03 05:17

    $16 +Health ins.,Retirement.

  6. #6jazak2007-04-03 09:50

    Here if you're a decent operator on say a mini-ex, skid or backhoe you'll get $25/hr + health ins. + worker's comp. + some other benefits + overtime..........

  7. #7Steve Frazier2007-04-03 10:01

    Haven't you been paying attention Jim??? There's no jobs up there, housing costs are unaffordable, without a government job you're doomed, the terrain is suitable only for mountain goats, one particular race has ruined the fishing industry, and there's no way for anyone to ever be successful operating their own business, and all Ford trucks are plagued with orange cancer. I'm disappointed Jim, your question indicates you aren't here as often as you should be and that you don't read each and every post!:nono I suggest you spend some time reading old posts, especially those from British Columbia, they will surely cure you of this silly optimism you have about our neighbors to the north!!:falldownlaugh

  8. #8Grader4me2007-04-03 10:24

    Come to New Brunswick!! Housing costs are near free! Lot's of government jobs! Lot's of fish! Good terrian for playing in the dirt! Start a successful business! All trucks Ford or otherwise are in great shape!! Ah....New Brunswick......Canada.. eh? :angel :laugh On edit.... Really not sure of the government jobs

  9. #9alco2007-04-03 12:46

    Personally, I have never lived in the States...I did live about 15 minutes north of the border for about 25 years though. Where I am now, the cost of living is absolutely ridiculous! A friggin starter home is almost half a million bucks right now...if you can find one. Rent on a single bedroom apartment is about $1800 a month right now....and climbing....once again...if you can find one. Brian

  10. #10alco2007-04-03 12:51

    Sorry my bad:duh You are right about the cost of living though....that ought to be enough to keep almost anyone away! But if you did decide to come this way to run grader, you'd have a job almost instantly. You may be living in your car, but you'd have a job. Brian

  11. #11544D102007-04-03 20:52

    Mid $20's, time and a half over 40, health insurance, NO dental:Banghead , sometimes a gas card:notworthy, 401K.

  12. #12bigbadford912007-04-03 21:15

    union 30.32 straight time. time and half after 8 hours, double time after 10 hours. guaranteed 8 hours pay if i show up for work. great pension, health care, scholarship and medical reimbursement account (that adds about another $10 an hour in fringe benefits)

  13. #13Prairie Dog2007-04-04 00:42

    Currently we start guys at $15/hr and experienced guys are close to $20/hr. seasonal work. In Sask. you get 3 wks paid holidays a year and 1 1/2 times overtime. Cost of living is low here yet and we are a the begining of a boom. Yep don't let certain residents of B.C. fool you

  14. #14Copenhagen2007-04-04 01:12

    I am a the operating partner of the company, so...$0. :Banghead oh well, atleast I have "benefits".

  15. #15Grader4me2007-04-04 03:16

    Lol...I have a Ford Focus..Live in it?...I'm not even crazy about driving it That's the stuff! Positive attitude! Let's put B.C. back on the map here! Welcome to the forum :drinkup

  16. #16345cl2007-04-04 07:32

    speaking of canada anybody know any good companies in the prince george area ,,im thinking of relocating up there i got family up there,its nice place to live just wondering if anybody knows anything going on up there

  17. #17biggixxerjim2007-04-04 19:22

    Ouch..... sorry, dad.

  18. #18CAT245ME2007-04-05 09:30

    Yes, here in New Brunswick the cost of living is pretty low compared to many other places, the only downside is that if you cant find a good job then you will half to take a job that pays $7.25 hr and that is minumum wage and there isint much better than that because employers know that people have to work and have no choice and have to take low paying jobs. I know a couple guys that get $10.00 an hour driving tandem dump trucks, I get $12 hr driving a Cat rock truck.

  19. #19murray832007-04-05 15:28

    Unless you work for the Irving family............ lol They now told me I'm no longer able to work on the side for myself or I can hit the road

  20. #20Grader4me2007-04-05 17:30

    That doesn't look like a happy laugh So let me try to understand this...If you have a business on the side, you cannot work for Irving anymore? Maybe I'm reading this wrong? :beatsme

  21. #21murray832007-04-05 17:43

    Yes thats what I understood out of the sit down funny huh?,A few of us do work on the side like plowing snow or a couple guys have a backhoe for toying around with on weekends and told us to stop moonlighting or take a lay off.

  22. #22Grader4me2007-04-05 17:57

    You know what I would tell them to do with their job?? If you are using your own equipment, on your own time and not on call (standby pay) then they have absolutely nothing to say period. Just make sure that what you are doing on the side has no conflict of interest with the company. If it does maybe consider not doing it, if it doesn't tell them to kiss your butt.

  23. #23CAT245ME2007-04-05 18:53

    Murray I had the same problem with my previos employer, didnt like the fact that I had a snowplowing buisness on the side. I never called in sick, never asked for time off , I never had a vacation the 6 years I was there and did my job better than the rest. But it didnt matter to my employer.

  24. #24murray832007-04-05 19:23

    Plowing went downhill for me this year anyway sold my plow truck actually but now wish I didn't.I did the odd septic job or dig an addition on a weekend or holiday so can't see why they'd complain but eh what can yah do. I got this thread off track so back on track we shall go....... Hard to find an operator that makes over $16 here most excavation guys are mostly 1 or 2 man operations with the owner being very hands on mostly as the operator,unless its at a union outfit which is getting very rare,my rate last year was $13.75/hr.

  25. #25CM19952007-04-05 20:45

    :lmao :lmao :falldownlaugh :falldownlaugh Been there, done that, back there, still there.

  26. #26Lashlander2007-04-06 00:47

    Union, $34.46 on your check. Non Union $47.06 on your check.

  27. #27RollOver Pete2007-04-06 02:23

    Did you forget the part about Union, $34.46 + benefits. Non Union $47.06 w/o benefits? Or was it planed in trying to prove your point? :beatsme Just wondering. ointhead

  28. #28biggixxerjim2007-04-06 06:27

    $47/hr private?? Wow, where do you work??

  29. #29Lashlander2007-04-06 09:42

    What point is that? I just assumed everyone knew that. Thats why I added on your check.