About 6 months ago I had all cylinders on my TB016 rebuilt by "professionals." Within 3 months of light use, the dipper cylinder began to leak. I was told by the mechanic to remove the cylinder, bring it to him and he would take it back to the "professionals" who rebuilt it. Task completed, cylinder rebuilt, went and picked it up - no charge and life goes on..until, the hard plastic seal that rides in the groove in the top nut of the boom cylinder came loose and began riding up and down with the ram. Again, was told to disassemble it, bring it to the mechanic and he would take it to the professional for a return rebuild. Well, this one isn't as easy to remove and I began pondering as to why "I" am removing these cylinders and not the mechanic. I paid nearly $2k for the first round of rebuilds. In your opinion (or industry standards) shouldn't the mechanic be doing everything possible to ensure return business and pulling the cylinders himself? Or is this the industry standard? Remove it yourself and then have it fixed? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
You didn't pay him to remove it the first time, you saved YOUR money by taking it to him. But why you used him as a middle man is what you should be asking yourself. Or why you didn't reseal them yourself. Joe H
1. I paid him to stop the cylinders from leaking. It was his choice how he did it. 2. I'm 70 years old. I am unable to perform the work. 3. I don't have the knowledge or the tools - hence take it to someone who does.
While cylinder rebuilds are not that complicated it sounds like the "professional" is a shade tree doing it for cheap and not that good So far as the mechanic coming to you depends on the company. A quality company will come to you, others won't. Took my injection pump and had it rebuilt. Picked it up, installed and one fitting started leaking. Called Diesel Injection Service and they sent a Tech out which fixed the leak, and I am 3 hours from the company
Thanks AllDodge - Cylinder rebuilds may not be that difficult to rebuild and I honestly wanted to learn how - even willing to purchase the right tools but unfortunately, my sons and I's shop was crushed by the largest Oak tree I've ever seen during one of the three hurricanes here in Florida. One of the others put about 8" of salt water inside the shop although we are not in a flood zone and more than 100 yards from the canal. We loaded the excavator up on a flatbed and took it to the mechanic. Would be willing to do so again, just need an honest opinion from the group on whether or not the mechanic should be paid for the removal/attachment of the cylinders or not. Idealistically, the shop that originally rebuilt the cylinders should reimburse the mechanic for having to repeat the same repairs again due to their incompetency. But I am not in this industry as a career. I did mine as a firefighter and am using the excavator on my property. Sounds like the injection pump repair shop you use is top notch - which is how I feel about my cylinders. Thanks
If I understand correctly You took machine to mechanic which removed and replaced all cylinders. The Mechanic paid another to do the cylinder rebuild Each time it failed afterwards you removed cylinder, took to mechanic, and you reinstalled I would say yes but only by the professional he hired and not by you. You had no control of who was hired and its his fault for not hiring a quality rebuilder. For you I would look at it as the Mechanic did everything in the same shop
Spot on AllDodge. Thanks
Shame on the mess. With the current state of affairs regarding skilled labor and the workforce, I’m surprised you were able to find anyone willing to even touch a homeowner machine. Your mechanic should pull that second cylinder himself, just for goodwill. I would do it for you for free. We could drink some coffee. Share some fire stories. Talk about heavy equipment. Shoot some iguanas. Watch out. I hear those things will fall from trees if they get chilly.
The way I read your first post was that you removed the cylinders and took them to be resealed, now I see you took the machine to be repaired and the shop sent them out. In that case the first shop owes you the labor, you shouldn't be expected to R&R the cylinders if you paid him to do it. Joe H
I don't think my local hydraulic shop gives a 6 month warranty on rebuilding old hydraulic cylinders.
I’m full of opinions……some get me banned.
I rebuilt my dam excavator cylinder and 200 hours later the wiper seal is spilt again Stuff happens get used to it. If you dont want to mess with it again get some new cylinders. The price will keep you putting in seals.