Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

opinions experienced faults of the Hitachi brand

trombeur · 2019-11-05 02:47

hello in my part is not a widespread brand hitachi, only a few Zaxis excavators maximum 20 tons of tonnage, wheel loaders never seen from my area, comparing them to volvo caterpillar komatsu and other well-known and prestigious brands liebherr john deer, what can you tell me, defects merits reliable performance, agility in maneuvers thanks ???

Replies10
  1. #1Welder Dave2019-11-05 03:09

    Don't know about the loaders but the excavators are arguably the best available. Hitachi really set the standard in the 80's with the UH series machines. I remember reading that 1 in 4 excavators sold was a Hitachi. Most excavators are based on Japanese designs I think in large part to Hitachi setting the standard.

  2. #2John C.2019-11-05 10:37

    Hitachi excavators were a part of the Japanese invasion through the gray market in the mid to early nineteen eighties. The dollar to yen exchange rate turned favorable when the Japanese economy went on the skids and there was a huge surplus of machines. They were simple all mechanical control linkages that even controlled a simple load sensing system with rods connected to the pumps and hand controls. They were accepted into the market very quickly. They transitioned into electronic control early but kept information on how to work on it close to the vest. Today they are joint partnered with John Deere who also likes to keep technical information very close to the vest. John Deere wanted out of the Linde hydraulic systems and partnered up with Hitachi for the hydraulics and electronics packages. They evolved to all Hitachi hard parts except for the engines. Today I think the only thing on their excavators that isn't Hitachi is the paint color. Other machine types never caught on over here. I've seen a few articulated trucks but can't recall ever seeing any wheel loaders. I seem to recall Hitachi at one time bought out one of the big rigid frame mining truck companies. Hitachi did have a joint partnership at one time with Fiat who sold excavators and wheel loader through that name.

  3. #3trombeur2019-11-05 12:32

    fiat hitachi and fiat kobelco/fiat allis used and dated machines there are in my part some have been replaced by new holland, big hitachi wheel loaders I have not seen in hitachi excavator yards on construction sites and in some quarry but maximum 15/20 tons of weight, thanks anyway for your intervention and your clarifications

  4. #4Tags2019-11-05 18:09

    I believe Hitachi bought Kawasaki heavy machinery, I just saw a few new “Hitachi“ wheel loaders at a dealer near me…

  5. #5trombeur2019-11-06 02:01

    let me know if you can, the excavators I have seen it seems to be reliable, the loaders I have never seen, so I do not know the actual performance thanks for your testimony

  6. #6Tags2019-11-06 07:15

    IF Hitachi hasnt messed with Kawasaki’s wheel loader, I believe them to be very reliable machines, maybe a little bare bones in the cab but you never hear about too many problems with the Kawasaki’s , That could also be because there are not too many of them around, but I’m sure someone with more knowledge on wheel loaders would have a better opinion than me

  7. #7John C.2019-11-06 11:17

    I've done inspections on a couple of high hour 980 sized Kawasaki loaders. They always seemed to be a generation behind the rest of the makes. Two speed transmissions when the industry was three speed and then three speed when the industry went to four speed. Cabs were spartan with no frills. Cummins engines and I don't recall the makes on the drive train components. The companies made money running them but there was no resale value to speak off. Basic machines that did what they were supposed to do with basic maintenance.

  8. #8trombeur2019-11-06 12:11

    Kawasaki I know only the bikes unfortunately, I can not give an opinion, but if the loaders are conceived as the excavators maybe they could be reliable, unfortunately from my part only used machinery still working, we do not use new generation machinery, too expensive economic capital to invest and to amortize for the current volume of work, almost inert selection plants have formed bushes on the piles of gravel, crisis in the construction sector, many vehicles have long been under the garages we are in recession, we hope that the work will open as soon as possible ???

  9. #9John C.2019-11-06 16:42

    Sorry to hear of the poor economy there. Hopefully it doesn't drop off here but nothing is ever certain.

  10. #10trombeur2019-11-07 05:39

    thank you for your precious collaboration your right suggestions and the friendship and solidarity that you give me