The government agency I work for is currently in the process of buying a new 160 class excavator. The bids are all in and Hyundai is the low bidder:Banghead. That being said, I was wondering who makes Hyundai? How will it hold up? What is the parts avalibility? And everyones overall opinion of Hyundai? The state has the option to reject any or all bids, but that is hard to do. Besides I need it now! Not 6 months from now! I will be the primary operator of the machine. I wanted a 315 cat but they were only 37k higher!
Hi I operate a Hyundai 160 class hoe. The machine has almost 2000hrs on it. I'm the primary operator. I think it is a good machine. The only problem it had was the heater motor went out. The AC isn't very cool. I think it has good power an the controls are smooth. I think it is probably made by Hyundai as most of the parts have Korean writing on them. When I heard that it would be a Hyundai I thought junk and hoped for a different brand. I know that it only has about 2000hrs on it, but it's doing OK. I'm not buying or maintaining it, so I don't care what brand it is, beats a shovel. Telescooper
i have a 210 lc-7 with 3600 hrs on it and absolutely love it. only drawback is that 5.9 cummins in it, is not very economical.
Funny our city just purchased 2 Hyundai's. I always thought it was based on someone's decision other than bidding. Makes sense now.
Not run one, but from the feedback I have heard and experiences of a couple of owner operators that I know, paint over the name if it really bothers you, otherwise, you just got a new seat. Enjoy
Whats up with the cummins Dayexco?? Has it given you problems in yours?
Thanks for the replys guys. Atlas your right I will be happy with a new seat! I was just curious as to anyones experiences with Hyundai. Hopefully it will be a good machine. Im a little leary of the dealer though, they are fairly new and small. Although sometimes they are the best ones! I will post some pics when she gets here!
Check the engine for the proper EPA tags when you get it. I've seen a few in my neck of the woods that didn't have the proper signage which caused some grief for the dealer. The basic machine is a cookie cutter. They are built using the catalog engineering practices that did in a lot of American manufacturers. They only make the frame and everyone else makes the components. The biggest complaint that I have heard is a lack of knowledgeable service people. There have been some issues with parts in the past but I haven't heard any big complaints lately. The older units I was around were 4,000 hour machines. A lot of hardware gave grief such as door handles and latches, throttle cables, button switches and lousy suspension on the seats. I've had a few customers want to trade them off with few hours on them. I'm really not a fan of low bid purchases. If those units were built to the same labor standards and costs as US machines are required to do, they would not be competitive at all. Since we got stupid about procurement by bureaucracy we have basically cut off our on industries. Good Luck on the new machine!
Brand New Hyundai's (dash 9 i believe they are called) look promising. I wasnt inpressed with the dash 7 series.
The president was just at the Caterpillar plant a couple days ago. They´re getting some sort of stimulus money (big fat check from the gov´t). If your municipality cannot find gov´t funding to purchase a Cat as in lieu of an imported machine, somethings not right.
Here,who knows about DYNAPAC road roller?there are EX100WD AND EX200-1.they look so poor and i dont know wehter they could work well.
Well, seeing how the same size Cat is built in a foreign country, I dont really see a difference. That being said, our government is working just as hard behind the scenes to destroy Cat. Look at what California is doing to owners of diesel engines. The current administration seems to have a lot of the same beliefs that California has. A lot of the layoffs at Cat are due to the slow economy, but others are also due to Cat getting out of truck engine market due to the next tier of EPA regulations. Its gotten cost prohibitive to keep developing engines every few years to meet the epa regs. By the time you get that engine to market, you have to design the next one, which leaves no time to profit or even cover costs of all that development.
Well said
Regarding the Hyundai hoe, I wouldn't buy it if the decision was mine. Hyundai has sent us lots of garbage over the years, and I don't trust anything from Korea anymore. Money saved in the initial purchase may be lost in repair costs and a lower resale value. Seems like false economy.
what kind of junk? my 210 has had fewer wrenches on it than my competitors 320 with comparable hours, and he paid about 35k more for it. if you throw a pencil to it, weigh in difference in purchase price, cost of your money if you borrow. put 7-10k hrs on the machine before trading, the difference in resale means nothing.
we also have the 5.9 on our 210 case. the only thing we've found, is they like fuel, and you NEVER run them out of fuel....took a $1800 worth of inj. pump work to find that out. our 690e that we run our packwheel or vibe plate on runs about a gal an hr less than the case of hyundai
OK, the Korean machines use 100% of there hydraulic pumps, others Komatsu, Cat use 80% of the hydraulic pump out put. When you start talking about high hrs. reliability and the cost associated than we can judge. Yes thanks for mention the fact: Originally Posted by Turbo21835 View Post Well, seeing how the same size Cat is built in a foreign country, I dont really see a difference. That being said, our government is working just as hard behind the scenes to destroy Cat. Look at what California is doing to owners of diesel engines. The current administration seems to have a lot of the same beliefs that California has. A lot of the layoffs at Cat are due to the slow economy, but others are also due to Cat getting out of truck engine market due to the next tier of EPA regulations. Its gotten cost prohibitive to keep developing engines every few years to meet the epa regs. By the time you get that engine to market, you have to design the next one, which leaves no time to profit or even cover costs of all that development. California's crazy diesel law will be nothing compared to "Cap on Trade". Please remember one of the Presidents main goals is the "Cap on Trade". This is a code word for "Carbon Tax" "CO2 Tax". What this will mean to the price tag of the equipment is that an energy Carbon Tax will be put on everything that goes into the machine made if this becomes law. In fact every thing that uses energy will pay a tax. It's in the New Budget; in fact it will generate so much tax money that the President thinks with his Superior financial knowledge and intellect this will pay back the massive borrowing he has pushed through. Now add hyperinflation to, carbon tax, and you have a recipe for real sticker shock on everything we buy if the President gets his wish list. The budget is still not passed yet. Just say NO!