Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Opinions on 1986 cat 426

Cvance · 2023-11-03 08:01

Hi everyone, I’m new to the forum so thanks in advance for having me. I’m interested in people’s thoughts on a 1986 cat 426. I’m a young farmer and looking for something for land clearing and general use around the farm. I’m looking at an 86 426 cat 2wd. I grew up with my dad’s old case ck 2wd and never found myself needing 4wd so that doesn’t bother me. I’ve always ran case hoes so don’t have much experience with cats or the Perkins motors. Originally I was looking for a case SL or SK because I’m a Cummins guy but I’m sure cat made a good machine. What are your thoughts on this machine? Thanks everyone!

Replies3
  1. #1edgephoto2023-11-03 20:12

    I have a Cat 426 about the same vintage that I bought in running condition but with some rust in the cab. I have been refurbishing it, not restoring it. I can tell you parts availability is amazing. Cat still makes most parts and they are readilly available. I have yet to get time to finish the project but I hope to have her done and moved to my land by next summer.

  2. #2Cvance2023-11-10 17:08

    What are your thoughts on it? How does it compare to a case or a JD in terms of power of digging force? Anyone ran one of these as well as others? Thanks for the response

  3. #3edgephoto2023-11-16 10:48

    To be honest I could not give you a comparison. I only know it from parts availability stand Point. I bought one running and in good mechanical condition but in rough cosmetic shape and as I get time I am fixing her up. I do notice most town and highway construction sites have either JD or Caterpillar equipment on site while mon and pop type construction or farmers usually have Case. Not sure if it is an indicator of anything but it is an observation.