Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Opinions on a used ’09 Deere CT332?

Grit ยท 2014-01-22 20:18

Man, CTLs are hard to find in good shape around here. I'm on CL and Machinery Trader every day looking at them. I ran across a Deere CT332 this evening. I have a Deere dealer not 5 miles from me, so a Deere would be good if I could find a decent, reliable machine. Have any of you ever ran a Deere CT332 and if so, can you give me any pro's and con's? I'll provide a link for the one I might be interested in. Can you tell me if it might be overpriced? I am concerned about the hours, but also know if it was regularly serviced and taken care of, I shouldn't let that deter me. Clean machines are very hard to find around here and I'm hoping someone can give me something positive about this particular machine. Do you think I could talk them down in price if everything checks out? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated! http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/hvd/4299503494.html

Replies10
  1. #1KSSS2014-01-22 20:58

    I would not pay that for a machine with all most 4000 hours. Drive motors are a problem with all CTLs at that hour range, there expensive to replace. This machine may have already had the drives replaced which would help. Here is an option http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=28444472&cat=99&lpid=4&search=&ad_cid=9 Cheaper with half the hours, just a bit smaller than the Deere http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=28375677&cat=99&lpid=1&search=skid steer&ad_cid=5

  2. #2Grit2014-01-22 21:29

    Thanks for the links, KSSS. I like those Taks, but I have no dealers around me for a 100 miles or more. There's a NH dealer in my area, but they don't service the machines and I think they only order new machines if I'm not mistaken. About the only other one with good dealer support is Cat about 35 min away. I have my eyes on them as well. Thanks for the info on the drive motors. I had no idea, but that's why I ask you guys, cause I know that you all would know. I figured 4000 was a bit much, but I am getting desperate. I need to be patient and hopefully the right, low hr machine will come along........ eventually. Thanks for your help. Much appreciated!

  3. #3Jim Dandy2014-01-26 17:34

    I have a 04 332 with 1700 hours and the dealer says he would give me 16,000 for trade in. It is an open cab machine but we have looked after it. When looking at 332's look for coolant leaks around the timing cover. That was an issue for awhile and the engine has to be removed to fix. The repair was 1300. I have hand controls and the controls are stiff they have always been that way. No big issues with the machine. It is strong and with the wide tracks it does well in the mud. Overall it has been a good machine.

  4. #4JNB2014-01-27 19:09

    Be patient Grit. I just went through the same thing and bought this one yesterday. http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/hvo/4264911245.html KSSS was a big help in me finally making the decision to pull the trigger.

  5. #5Swannny2014-01-27 20:12

    What's the min. size of a ctl that you need? Does it have to have cab enclosure and a/c?

  6. #6JNB2014-01-27 20:27

    Here's a nice Gehl I had saved during my search. http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=9165417

  7. #7rancher22014-01-29 17:37

    Be careful and don't buy someone elses problems. Find a low hour machine with some good history. If you can buy new and then sell at 1,500 to 2,000 hours. I take care of my machines and always sell them for top dollar and buy a another new one. I don't to be fixing someone elses junk.

  8. #8Grit2014-02-01 00:05

    Thanks for the replies. I didn't realize I had more posts in this thread. I wasn't being updated for some reason. I just came back to look through the thread again to see what that motor was called KSSS was talking about. A Drive Motor. Still on the lookout and I appreciate you guys help. I would like to see if I could get a cab with heat and air. It gets awful hot in Texas, lol. I'll let you know how things are progressing. I spoke with a cat salesman today, but he's trying to push me into a new machine. I don't want to go that much. I'm still kind of on the fence between wheeled or tracked. I really NEED the tracks as I have a 9-10 degree slope and sandy loam with a creek bottom. I'm trying to see if I can get by with wheeled, but I know I'll be making a huge mistake. But tracks are going to kill me on maintenance. So it seems I'm back and forth. I have never had such a hard time trying to find something in my entire life. This has really been a challenge. Thanks for the support!

  9. #9Grit2014-02-01 08:35

    http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=9645159 This one I have been looking at for awhile. Does new drive sprockets mean a new drive motor(s), too?

  10. #10Swannny2014-02-01 08:44

    No, drive sprockets bolt overtop as second to last pic shows. That's a lot of $ for a lot of hrs., imo. If you're looking for big, I'd look for a Mustang MTL20, Gehl ctl80 (same as Takeuchi TL150 only less $) with cab and air...more reliable at the higher hours. Or a Takeuchi TL140 like this one: http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/hvo/4296138894.html