Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 1840 Loader problem

rat4020 ยท 2014-01-22 10:33

I have a 1840 that the loader controls are very stiff & do not functon properly the buctet will tip all the way back at times when you lift arms all the way up and also the float position dont work .. Any ideas were to start ? Thanx

Replies4
  1. #1kshansen2014-01-22 13:06

    To begin with is this something new or has it always been like this? My first thought would be to disconnect the linkage at the control valve and see if they are still stiff. If they are then look at lubing them at every place that moves. I believe there is a tube that goes from side to side more or less under the seat. I think there should be a grease fitting on it. The float not working could be because of the linkage being stiff or a problem in the control valve. If your valve is like the ones on the 1845's I have worked on there is a detent arrangement on the raise/lower side of the valve. I have seen where these can get rusted and filled with mud and not work. As I recall this detent assembly is bolted to the vlave just back from where the control linkage is pinned on. Seem like it is held on with two 1/4 inch socket head bolts, maybe taking a 3/16 allen wrench? Remove and soak in penetrating oil overnight and see if you can tap in the detent pin or ball to free it up. EDIT: Looks like I was wrong the detent is at the end of valve opposite the connection to the control linkage. See this link to the parts page from Case: http://partstore.casece.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::mr57484ar412427 Look in the lower left area of the page item numbers: 15, 16, 19, 22, 23.

  2. #2rat40202014-01-22 14:30

    Thanx I checked the linkage its all ok . You reasured me about the detent. But what is the valve directly below the loader valve it has six hoses going in and out of it 2 are pluged off with -8 JIC plugs and the other 4 go into the loader valve . Could that be the leveling valve ?

  3. #3kshansen2014-01-22 18:11

    Check these two links: http://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::mr54970ar411350 http://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::mr54970ar415508 Our 1845's never had self leveling valves so I can't help much there.

  4. #4Goose2014-01-22 23:42

    The 1840s did have a hydraulic self level setup as an option. It sounds like that is the valve you are talking about. It had 4 lines going to it but I dont remember the plugged ports. The self level valve went inline of the loader lift circuit and would add a metered amount of oil the the bucket cylinders as the loader went up to keep the bucket level. We took alot of these off machine due to problems like you are having with the bucket.