Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Opinions on ASV 4500 or 4520

Palmer78 · 2009-02-24 00:55

Does anyone have any experience with these models.....good or bad? There are a couple for sale fairly locally and I was wondering if they are worth looking at.

Replies6
  1. #1Palmer782009-02-25 16:00

    Nobody has experience with these??

  2. #2Digdeep2009-02-26 21:43

    I used to sell Bobcat 864s against them in Wisconsin. They had big displacement John Deere engines (I think 4.5L) and the 4520 was around 115hp. They were beastly when it came to pushing and digging and hard to win a demo against based on performance with a 864. They're pretty dated now and I think you could find a much newer machine that has some more modern features unless the price is just too much to pass up.

  3. #3WCM2009-03-03 01:44

    4520 I have one of these (4520) great machine. I use it daily on a forestry mulcher. If you can find one with lower hours and for a good price, buy it,:usa

  4. #4Bobcat Crazy2022-12-18 15:28

    Hey Guys, I know this thread was long ago but I ran across it while looking for reviews on this machine. I am looking at a 1999 with only 1456 hours on it. What would you say this machine is worth? It will be coming up for auction soon and I was just wondering if it was something worth playing with around the farm to do some mulching with. This is a large auction company that does a sight inspection and a running/driving inspection report and guarantee their assessment of the machine. I have one other question some of the things I'm reading say these machines are high flow but the spec sheet I am reading says the flow is 19 GPM. So I am confused if they are high flow or not. They do not do any pressure checks etc. they just judge it by how it operates. I would not be using this as a business, but just around the farm. But I would like to have high flow if I am spending for another machine/toy. Any insight into this would be appreciated. Thanks Guys, B-Crazy

  5. #5Tags2022-12-18 18:50

    For the time they were produced, they were decent machines for what they were. Not the easiest things to work on. I believe they also have a driveshaft running through their belly and if that lets go it’s not much fun to repair. I’m pretty sure since it’s deep inside the universals probably don’t see much grease. Then you have the track system, does not like to be run in rock and is VERY expensive to maintain. It really depends what you plan on doing with it.

  6. #6Bobcat Crazy2022-12-18 20:11

    Thanks for the info Tags. I have enough hard and expensive stuff to work on already. I think I will keep searching. When I saw one advertised locally I thought it looked like a beast and might be good to play with on my little farm.