I own a 140H & 143H. I have never operated a 160 before. I'm thinking about getting a larger machine and was wondering where the 160 fits in compared between the 140 & 14, which I'm sure it's designed to fill that gap in sizes. Also, I'm looking at the 160 M series...
Regarding the 160M, its not much difference compared to the 140M. Some 1000 pund heavier and a more solid A-frame. Our dealer recomended the 140M AWD, because there where so little difference between them. We have one 140M AWD and a couple of 140G's. Our operators got a G946 on test last week...(Joystick Volvo) I don't think the next grader will be a 140M... To expensive and the operators where very pleased with the volvo.
Thanks for the response. I've never been on a Volvo blade, just their loaders. I'll have to check them out. The thing is, i can find an M series blade around here used with low hrs for about $200,000 usd. That's not bad considering the $150,000 savings over brand new.
I would watch out for that new M series if I were you. I have a friend who is in the know and he says Caterpillar has had nothing but trouble with that machine. Constant updates, frequent repairs, unexplained accidents. Look around at every other grader Caterpillar made. They cost almost twice as much as the Volvos and John Deere's Comparable years, hours and size. Why suddenly is that M-series so affordable???
Cat is definitely more expensive. I do know that. I don't know anyone with the new M series, so I haven't heard the bad about them. I do know that earthmoving equipment prices are down across the board, especially here in a California. I also know that there were a ton of companies that were leasing newer machines which they gave back, which is why I've been seeing quite a few low hour machines on the market. I would definitely like to try out a Volvo, but the parts dealer here is a pain to do business with.
The M series had its share of problems when it first came out. Now the bugs have been worked out and all the update to existing machines should have been performed.