I've been keeping an eye out for a loader to replace our old H90E. For my budget, I'm looking at Cat F series II, or G models. I've noticed alot of loaders that have 11k-17k hours on them. If you found a clean, and well maintained loader would the amount of hours be a deterrent? Dozers with 11k+hrs, I would probably pass on, but a excavator wouldn't bother me to much. The reason why I'm thinking Cat, is the local dealer is 15 minutes away, vs. about an hour for Deere, or Komastu. Any thoughts and opinions would be great. CJ
Questions that may help would be your application and hours of use you would be looking at per year, I'm sure others may have more.
We have a couple old Cat loaders running well over 25k and still going strong. Granted most of the old iron has had trans/engine rebuilds, but long as parts are available we keep repairing them.
The loader is going to be used for loading waste from a cannery. Pretty easy hrs, compared to a quarry. I'll see if I can find some video, and upload it to youtube. A typical year, the machine will probably work 600-700hrs over 4 months, then occasional use during the off season. I don't suppose you might have a guesstament of how many hours you had on them when you had to put motors and trans in them do you? I appreciate anything you can give me guys.
I know Cat recommends rebuilding engine and drive train components in the 12,000 to 15,000 operating hour time frame. That is supposed to be the most economical time for it anyway. I've seen plenty of those wheel loaders up in the 20,000 to 25,000 hour time frame but going that long leaves you with nothing left to rebuild. Not a lot of FII models around in this area and the G models usually don't get let go until three quarters of the way through the second rebuild. I know the local dealer has three or four of them on their Tukwila lot.
Nothing to be frightened about regarding a machine in the 11-17k hours range as you mention, provided it's got some previous service history and you can see what has (or hasn't as the case may be) been done to it in its lifetime and therefore see what you're getting yourself into if you buy it. There are loads of those models about so somebody must like them .......... We have 4 Cat H Series loaders (2 x 938 & 2 x 962) and the first one will be going for a rebuild quite soon. Current hours on the machines are between 8 & 17k.
11k and up on hrs would concern me unless it is just going to be for the DIY home owner guy(gal). Not saying a machine with that many hours will be trouble, just seems a bit high, how many hrs will you be adding each year?. More important is condition and maintenance preformed. When ever I buy used I judge the person selling just as much as I do the machine. You can learn a lot by listening and observing. I went for an SS one time, the guy jumped on and just beat the machine showing me how tough it was, I left.
Agreed, That's why it took ten years for me to find the grader I could justify spending the bucks on. I was able to construct the last twenty years of service history and speak with the mechanic that was in charge of the service before I bought. The salesman who was representing the machine was more interested in closing the deal than a satisfied customer, (go figure). Glad I took the extra time as I have a significant investment to look after.
Thanks for the input guys. I know that with purchasing used equipment, there is always going to be some type of repairs. Not to mention, we'll still have the H90 as a backup loader. Now, anyone have experience with the high lift models? I'm not a fan of role out buckets. One of the H90s had a role out bucket, and the other has extended arms. Here is what the loader will be doing. http://youtu.be/q41_ZfWoAPg
Always ask for machine repair history, and oil sample reports. These are two key items we always require in a purchase consideration. Oil samples tell me of impending failures and problems before they are problems. Sure they may cost some cash, but not doing them is akin to not changing the oil or filters. They are well worth the money. We are fortunate as our oil supplier does the samples for free, and usually I have results online in 24hrs or less on any 'rush' samples submitted.
Not to be argumentative but I have little use for single oil sample reports anymore. Basically, problems in components show up with so many indicators that all a sample report does is confirm what I suspect already. Now a history of SOS reports would mean a lot as they show trending which is a good indication of the condition of components. Repair histories are always suspect unless there is some kind of tracking program that goes with them. A maintenance book, spread sheet or data base history is very rare and not generally offered when machines are sold out of fleets. I don't recall ever seeing a high lift 980. I have seen plenty of tip out buckets on 980 loaders particularly handling wood chips. They wouldn't work for any kind of heavy material but for chips and the light material you are working with they would work fine. Used ones though are usually cracked up from years of use. Your key would be to find a machine that had a third valve already installed.
Agree 100%. What you look for in oil analysis results are trends, not single result from a single moment in time. Trends are what tells you there is something on the way out.
Just a bit of a update. Came across a Komastu that I couldn't pass up. Price was well below budget, runs great, came with a scale and I won't have to worry about stretching loader arms. Its going to need some tires in the future, and fix two leaky hydro cyls, but all and all I think its going to be alright.
I always thought Komatsu made a nice loader. What hrs on the big Kommie, since that's what started the thread?
18k hrs. I was a little concerned with hours, but overall condition of the machine made me feel like it was well taken care of. Its almost scary how easy the thing starts.
Having a dealer handy would be nice, but where I am all dealers are about 1 to 2 hours away. If you order something they have in stock in the morning, you can have it that afternoon. Afternoon orders are there in the morning. I notice a lot of guys seem to avoid getting the dealer to do repairs. I am assuming that it must be really expensive states side. The company I work for has been in the business for 75 years, and besides basic repairs, or regular service they have found it to be cheaper, and faster to get the dealer to come and do the work. Repairs that can wait are left until there is a few to do on a few machines.