Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Opinions on Komatsu diggers? Considering a PC220-6

fastline · 2019-12-01 02:54

Might be considering replacing an old Cat 225. Needs to at least have the same capacity but I have some concerns because machine is a little lighter and the old Cats were known to have some good ass weight. We primarily use this machine for lifting and moving things, not so much digging. I kind of need more refined controls than the Cat has. Cats and Deere are all I have run. Curious how the Komatsu stacks up regarding build quality, reliability, etc? One thing I always liked about Cat is they tend to overbuild everything and use the best bolts on everything, which makes repairs much more probable in the field. The one we are looking at may have some issues because it won't do a few things. I am an electrical guru so electrics don't concern me, but if a pump is bad (the old cat has 3), that could mean very bad news and I don't need that drama.

Replies8
  1. #1Blocker in MS2019-12-05 20:53

    I would consider a Komatsu excavator before any other manufacturer to be honest. I have not spent much time in the newer -8, but the older machines I always liked. A PC200-6 or -7 would be my benchmark to compare other machines to. I have done an awful lot of clearing with them along with everything else. Caterpillar has caught up with speed in their newer machines, and Komatsu’s have also. The Komatsu’s were always smooth and fit my operating styles much better. There are a few outfits I know that have switched from Cat to Komatsu due solely to resale. That is mostly opinion, but that is how I feel. The Deere’s are good machines as are several others. I have most recently been on a Volvo and it is very nice. It is very comparable to the Komatsu, but I would still choose a Komatsu in a slightly older machine.

  2. #2fastline2019-12-06 00:08

    I think I am a little turned off by the lack of info out there on them, the lack of available parts and such, and probably most importantly, the lack of local dealer interest in helping with really anything. Simple questions are answered with "well, I'm not sure"..... With CAT, that is usually followed with either "I will find out and call you back" or they will refer to someone else that can get the question answered. If they are one of those machines that "are really nice when they work", but "when they break, your screwed", I don't want to own one. I'd love to look at some service manuals for these just to see how good they are. I say that because we own a lot of Jap CNC machines, and though they are good, the books SUCK!!!! Half of it is in symbols, the English is obviously poorly translated, and you are stuck trying to comprehend what is being said. What blew me away with the 225 is there is a book specifically for hydraulic system understanding which gives a really good layout on how pressure is applied, when, and what happens "if" and "why". I guess I am one of those owners that likes to know my equipment so well that if something fails, I already know what it might be before I step out of the cab.

  3. #3Blocker in MS2019-12-06 05:17

    Parts are no problem. The older machines ran Cummins 5.9L for power in that size, so no problems there either. It sounds like you need to buy from whichever dealer in your area will support you the best. They all go in to the shop at some point. Service may be you determining factor in machine choice. There is a great dealer network for both machines here.

  4. #4Andrew Navarrete2019-12-13 18:51

    I just bought a komatsu pc210lc-6e. It was my first machine and I really didnt know how to evaluate a machine before buying. I bought a machine with a ton of problems. The main problem is the pump. Spare parts are all over the place to rebuild the inner parts but in my case I need a brand new pump or a fully rebuilt one with a good case (not easy to find) my case is all scratched up (servo bore) and according to a number of mechanics I gotta scrap my old pump and find a new one. It's a pain in the ass. On the flip side it runs a 6bt Cummins suuupper reliable and relatively cheap to rebuild and maintain. If I could go back in time I would of gone for a cat 320c .....

  5. #5Welder Dave2019-12-14 14:14

    Some consider Komatsu the best excavators on the market. Don't rush to buy a machine, there are plenty of good used machines on the market from several brands.

  6. #6Mother Deuce2019-12-14 16:20

    Perhaps given the view that you have on Japanese product support and your (and most of all the rest of us) faith in the Cat "system and parts support. It seems as though the decision is made.

  7. #7John C.2019-12-14 18:09

    I've seen as many tired and abused Cats as anything else. The key to the situation was the knowledge and experience of the buyer. Next time try to hire that kind of knowledge for a few hundred bucks instead of risking many thousands based on trust in the seller.

  8. #8funwithfuel2019-12-14 21:39

    B & C series Volvo. Smooth, very smooth. Komatsu tend to get beat to death cuz they're over built. If you find one that's tight, jump on it.