Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

opinions on old iron for personal use

Dozerboy ยท 2013-02-19 21:37

a friend of mine is looking at these 2 machines for his property to dig an 8 acre pond. I've never heard of the track hoe before and don't have much experience w/ the older volvos. not much info in the add, just pictures. Thanks. http://houston.craigslist.org/grd/3528936059.html

Replies5
  1. #1qball2013-02-19 22:17

    that is some old, almost obsolete iron. run, don't walk from it. parts and service will be really tough to get.

  2. #2Eric19752013-02-20 02:13

    The excavator is a yutani which is now Kobelco. Parts are still available through a Kobelco dealer.

  3. #3ben46a2013-02-20 04:47

    Its no problem getting parts for those volvos either.

  4. #4Dozerboy2013-02-20 05:41

    We just need something that will last 6 months-1year of on off use. Even if we have to sell it for scrap by the time we're done. Anyone have and opinion on the prices? I didn't look for the truck, but a hoe in ok shape was going for $18K in NJ. Couldn't find anymore MDI/Kobelco hoes up for sale. We are just looking around now I will take a mechanic out there if we go take a look.

  5. #5Jlillie22013-02-20 09:16

    Seem's kind of pricy to me, but it is a big machine. If you can afford it, and you actually need something that big, go take a look. If it walks, digs and doesn't smoke out the county go for it. I bought an old beat rental with about 4000 hours on it. Like you I basically needed it for one job, once the job was finished i kept it around for a couple of years as it never really needed any kind of work. I just sold it this year, and got my money back on it. For a machine of that vintage though, I'd try to get the price a little lower Maybe 16.5?