Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Opinions on this CASE 580 superL

kb9nvh ยท 2010-07-28 18:14

Looking for opinions on buying this hoe. Got back from testing out the backhoe. Its solid and tight. Engine seems to run strong...I think its turbo (see pictures) Price is 21.5K and wont budge (so far). The only issue was that the extend a hoe would get stuck in the all the way in position and had to play with it to get it to extend. What could cause that? Maybe a bad twist to the bucket while extended or just grease??? Can it be fixed if its a twist? I think the tires are worn pretty good..what do you guys think? Thanks for your opinions.. Here are a bunch of photos at this link. http://picasaweb.google.com/grimshady/2010727_backhoe#

Replies12
  1. #1oldseabee2010-07-29 09:49

    To check for a twisted extended boom first pull the boom all the way in then stretch the backhoe all the way out with the bucket bottom just clear of the cement on a level area, see if the bucket is level with the cement then extend the extenda boom all the way out and check the bucket bottom to see if it is still level. The other possible problem is that the extenda boom has been overloaded and now has a slight bow to it. Check it with a straight edge or a laser level to see if it is straight. Think about pushing a slightly bent pipe into a straight pipe, you won't see a binding until the bent pipe is almost all the way into the staight pipe, then it will start to wedge itself.

  2. #2da'yoop2010-07-29 14:59

    How many hours on it?

  3. #3kb9nvh2010-07-30 07:16

    4000 hours. is 21.5 low, high or average?

  4. #4da'yoop2010-07-30 08:33

    I am definately not an expert.....but I would say it's average to high. but it looks to be a well taken care of machine. does he have any maint. records or receipts? Try looking on ebay for a similar machine and see what they are going for on there. then check out equipment trader.com and see what they are there. take into consideration the extendable hoe sticking problem. good luck.

  5. #5da'yoop2010-07-30 12:55

    I did some looking around and the price seems to be in the ballpark.....depending on the boom problem repairs.

  6. #6JS580SL2010-08-01 17:49

    Super L's were the best case hoe. 21K for a well maintained L of that age and hours is a decent buy. 95's are the one year I'd stay away from. If that machine is well maintained, depending on what kind of usage it gets should go atleast another 2,000hrs without any major probs.

  7. #7kb9nvh2010-08-30 22:56

    Well, I offered him 20K...He almost bit but I think he decided that he would just keep it since he has used for it every now and again. Easy come easy go...now I have to keep looking. (I should have just paid his price of 21.5K)

  8. #8pietru2010-08-31 10:10

    I know your pain, took me so long to find a backhoe. Then I find the perfect deal and after using it for 15 hours to backhoe won't go forward anymore, a 580SE with 5500 hours. How great is that. Oh well...

  9. #9kb9nvh2010-08-31 18:16

    Post back here what you found wrong with it....and what kind of price tag on the fix. My wife will kill me if I spend 20K and then have to lay out 4K more for a repair!!

  10. #10pietru2010-08-31 19:46

    I did post about the problem and will surely let you know how ruined I will get

  11. #11kb9nvh2010-08-31 20:12

    I saw you post and will follow...hope you get some advice. Sorry for your problem and I hope for the best!!

  12. #12cat3202010-09-03 14:37

    1998 CASE 590SL Close Window Email This Financial Calculator Add To Machines Of Interest Print This -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hide Main Picture Reset Special ZOOM Features Hide Thumbnail(s) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Equipment Specifications Year 1998 Manufacturer CASE Model 590SL Price $21,900 AEDAUDBGNBRLCADCHFCNYCZKDKKEGPEURGBPHKDHUFINRJODJPYKRWLBPLKRLTLLVLMXNMYRNOKNZDPLNRONSARSEKSGDTHBTRYTWDUSDVEBZAR Location Massachusetts Serial Number JJF0209866 Condition Used Stock Number 10964 Hours 2,945 Drive 4WD General Information Low Hours, Great Machine! Detailed Description Great all around unit. Very Low hours for the year. 4x4 X-Hoe Heat Brand new front rubber (RF needs a bead seal - $20 fix) Rears 50% 24" digging bucket with very good shanks Auxiliary Hydraulics All lights and wipers work Unit comes with Title if you need to register for OTR applications No smoke Small rust/rot spot under left entry Great power Has plow ears welded in the bucket There is a 10' power angle plow that the owner has, but will be sold separate from the machine. Call for more info. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Say you saw this 1998 CASE 590SL On MachineryTrader.com! Send Universal Machinery LLC A Message Seller Information Machinery Trader advertiser since: October 2006 Has a Machinery Trader representative visited seller's physical location: Yes Contact: Universal Machinery LLC Machine is located in: Massachusetts Phone: (781)439-6000 http://www.machinerytrader.com/images/Machinery/fullsize/86068074.jpg