We are a general contracting company specializing in additions renos and new homes. We do all our own excavating with our Kubota 057, PC 120, and s300. We have been toying with idea of ditching the skid steer in favor of a used tlb. Most sites are open. Some are behind houses but renting a skid steer is much more viable than renting a larger loader. Am I crazy for thinking a case 580 could do what my skid does equally or better? I realize I lose my attachment ability however I don't own any attachments except forks. The idea was that the backhoe would be better for loading trucks moving stumps and for our growing snow removal. I love the skid but it's limited by size. Thanks for your opinions!
I think , for what that's worth , a backhoe is the most useful tool on a residential project. We dig footers , crawl spaces and even the occasional basement with a 416C Cat. Being able to move the spoil pile where you want helps a lot as well. I'm not familiar with the Kubota 057 is it a mini ex? It's kind of what you get use to as well. Track loaders use to be a big thing now they seem to be a dying thing. I have even finish graded small yards with the 3' hoe bucket. I don't have a skid steer but I think a S150 size or 773 size would be nice to have . If I ever get to retire , I would keep a backhoe around just for personal use.
I own both.....in fact two of each...416c and a 416b....and two Gehl skids and a slew of attachments.... my 416c 4wd.....is far superior to the skids for loader work...does a great job grading and back dragging .....i use the thumb on the Hoe to do a myrid of things....like the reverser and the shift lever location on the C much better than the B.....cant get it stuck...extremely versitile.....much more loader power than the skid...i have flip over forks for it....much faster point a to point b than a skid.... the skids (wheeled) ....of course can do very fine work faster....and attachments are what they are..... I use the Backhoe 10hrs to 1hr for skidsteer work I would not own a Backhoe that wasnt 4wd Of course the learning curve on a Backhoe is longer than a skidsteer and all Backhoes are not created equal for loader vs hoe work.....i am of the opinion the Cats are much better loader hoes vs Case being a better Hoe machine....
I would prefer a backhoe over a skid, but i have way more time on a backhoe. Personally i always feel like i am going to run over something i cant see in a skid steer so i hate them. They certainly are nice for finish work in the rite hands tho. I think these machines need the rear-view camera more so than say a dozer or excavator. Sounds like to me you could really use the loader on a hoe for a lot of things for your work. I see that you have a New Holland, I used to have a LB75.B. I am partial to them for power, light weight and the rear boom will swing further right or left than anything else. mudober
We used to have a new hola d mini. I haven't updated my info now we have a Kubota 057 12,000lb excavator a PC 120 and a bobcat s300. We used to keep the skid and mini due to the size truck we used to pull them. Now we have a single axle Mack and 20 ton tag trailer. I like my skid but some times I think it would be easier to own a hoe and rent the skid with the right attachment I need. I don't own any attachments and the rental fee is way cheaper than owning around here. Skid work for day rates to homeowners is also disappearing with the availability of rental machines.