Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Oregon CJX73-75 saw chain

ncnswlogger ยท 2014-09-06 01:51

Currently this chain is not available anymore. Dad has been using CJX73 "skip tooth square ground chisel" for over 15 years and has just about run out. This chain is required for falling aussie hardwoods such as Stringybark, Coastal Blackbutt, New England Blackbutt etc. He has trialled the replacement CJ73 which does not stay sharp as long and does not have the .404 kerf like CJX73. Is there many who would still like this model of chain still available and who has experience with it.

Replies19
  1. #1Plebeian2014-09-14 23:47

    It is a case of asking the people who know what different chain saw chain is available, usually head office. There are at least 4 skip sequence .404 pitch. .063 gauge saw chains listed on the Oregon website. Oregon is owned by Blount. e.g http://www.oregonproducts.com/pro/products/chain/58_59CJ-CL-CK-SquareGround.htm Stihl have a (.404 .063 - in the rapid super and duro models) though I have seen people pouring additional oil on the chain in slow cutting.

  2. #2lantraxco2014-09-15 02:16

    Okay, I'm confused. I'm seeing the 75CJX as a 3/8" pitch. .063 width square cut skip chain? Where does the .404 come in? The 73 is an .058 gauge. There are some dealers in the US still showing availability of old stock for the 75CJX in reels or made up chains online, not sure if that's true.

  3. #3mitch5042014-09-15 10:05

    .404 is the pitch,seems to be a little heavier duty than .375 pitch chain

  4. #4lantraxco2014-09-15 11:58

    That's where I get confused, the 70 numbers, 72, 73, 75 are 3/8" pitch and denote different gauge thicknesses. The OP mentions a .404 kerf, which I can't find where Oregon discloses kerf information. The .404 pitch chains are a different numbering scheme entirely......

  5. #5mitch5042014-09-15 22:15

    I can't imagine a .404 kerf, unless maybe in .75 pitch harvester chain. That would be about a 13/32 wide cut.

  6. #6lantraxco2014-09-15 22:18

    Need more complete and concisive information, might be able to source some chain.

  7. #7Vigilant2014-09-16 17:58

    When I was out West as a young whippersnapper, there was a lot of .404 on the bigger woods saws such as 051s, 090s, etc.

  8. #8mitch5042014-09-16 19:14

    Yeah, it's still common, but it's .404 pitch, not .404 kerf.

  9. #9Hallback2014-09-16 22:09

    The "X" chain is a 3/8" .063 gauge chain but has a wide cutter tooth that is the same kerf as a .404 chisel chain. He isn't delusional. If you guys hole a cutter tooth of a 3/8" & .404 chain next to eachother you would see the difference. Call Sam @ Madsens Saw & Supply in Chehalis Wa. 360-736-1336, they should still have some. Tell him Darren sent ya.

  10. #10lantraxco2014-09-16 23:34

    Didn't say delusional, just was missing something in translation. I do have to say though Australian is usually easier to comprehend than some things I hear from our own Southern states! (Ducking!) :usa

  11. #11mitch5042014-09-17 00:35

    Watch it, Lanway. Your address is on your website!

  12. #12lantraxco2014-09-17 00:39

    Come ahead, I'll buy the first round and take you out fishing for salmon, lol.

  13. #13Hallback2014-09-17 18:49

    Sounds like a good time!!

  14. #14lantraxco2014-09-17 19:04

    Well, since we're starting to attract a crowd, how about we meet up at the logging show in Eugene, Oregon next February? :drinkup

  15. #15Deeretracks2014-09-18 01:13

    I had to stop going. My liver threatened to move out after hanging with the Pape' sales guys too long. :drinkup

  16. #16lantraxco2014-09-18 02:15

    LMAO! I remember one year I was working for Hessel, the Deere dealer back then, we looked after several Deere corporate reps.... which included getting them back to the hotel and pouring them into bed, the youngest one had a pair of lacy panties on his head a comely young lass at a strip club gave him in the process of a lap dance.... good times! I don't miss the drinking, but I do miss the big shows, with Ross taking a whole building and some of the other big players back in the 80's...

  17. #17Deeretracks2014-09-18 12:08

    Was Scott Boatwright with Hessel at the time? He puts on quite the show. He Along with Scott Benham from Smith Tractor (both with Pape' now) are quite the drinking tandem.

  18. #18lantraxco2014-09-18 13:21

    I don't recall, it's been twenty years ago now for me since I was with Hesel, though I've dropped in on a show now and then since just for giggles.

  19. #19ncnswlogger2014-09-26 02:37

    Thanks mate for explaining it. Have been too busy to reply so thanks for that.