Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Friell Lake Logging

Hank R ยท 2014-09-05 21:38

I have a few pictures of Friell Lake Logging I tried to search the fourms here but, I have not learned that skill yet. Google did not help me out. Is there any information out there was or is this a large logging contractor? Pictures I have are of highway log trucks with I guess off highway sized loads. Where should I post these pictures? Thanks for information.

Replies45
  1. #169hayes2014-09-06 00:16

    Why not on this topic that's already started Hank

  2. #2camptramp2014-09-06 01:05

    My first recollection of Friell Lake Logging would go back to 1954 when our family moved into Port Renfrew . There was an abandoned logging camp at the North end of the bridge that crossed the North arm of the San Juan River . All that was left were a couple of building's and a bit of worthless junk . The camp was referred to as Rudy Derring's old camp , it was located between the old bridge and the bridge that is used today and is referred to as Derring's Bridge. When I worked at BCFP's Malibu Div. in 1976 1977 there was a senior Yarding Operator Roy Lenfesty who had worked for Rudy Derring's at Friell Lake Logging on the West Coast and spoke very highly of them . In 1991 I took a shift as a relief operator on a Nothwest log loader 10 and 4 , then went back for another shift driving an HDX Hayes , for Friell Lake Logging. We were working down the Inlet from the Gold River Pulp Mill , by that time Mike Derring was running the Company . I heard mention of a Grapple Yarder up past Prince George some place . Thats all I know about Friell Lake Logging , so bring on the pictures Hank lets see if I recognize any of the equipment.

  3. #3Hank R2014-09-06 08:52

    These pictures are from Darrel Lowes, and are from early to mid 80's. North Hirch Creek km9 to the old M & B A frame on Minitte bay at the head of Douglas channel where the Kitimat river dumps into the ocean. Thanks to (Lowbeddriver) for helping me get these pictures.

  4. #4Hank R2014-09-07 07:40
  5. #5Hank R2014-09-08 08:45
  6. #6Hank R2014-09-08 11:26

    I hope someone has more pictures of Friell Lake Logging , need more for sure. Thanks Hank R

  7. #7Greatwestcam2014-09-08 23:30

    I went in as a relief driver for Bob Stephens back in 82, the camp was out of Fair Harbour, remember the boat ride in, saw a camp and said it looked pretty good, he said no that was Thompson logs camp ours is next bay over, well that next camp looked like an old abandon camp, That's ours he said. Bob had 3 HDX's in there, two were in camp hauling the other was out at the tip of Ookinish Inlet, we would fly out in Friell lakes beaver. There was a Madill grapple yarder and a TL-6 loader run by Gunter Shinkovits(?) and a 550 pay loader in the sort. The main camp run had two northwest loaders, one at a madill the other at a skagit IG80. They seam to like the International equipment, had pay loaders and td25 dozers etc. only have as few photos

  8. #8Greatwestcam2014-09-08 23:46

    Here are the other two HDX's , the "little" one is the one Bob bought from Ted Routh, his #2 the is posted by camptramp in the M&M thread. Bob put a set of narrow 90's in the back and Dayton hubs on the front, Lloyd was the other driver that was in there. some photos of the bone yard also.

  9. #9DBDLS2014-09-09 18:11

    I see the lineloader in Post#8 has an interesting looking grapple. Is there anyone who could tell us a little more about it? Pictures, manufacturer, comments on how it was liked or not, etc. Thanks.

  10. #10Greatwestcam2014-09-09 19:59
  11. #1169hayes2014-09-09 20:54

    I will bet Wiley Coyote likes them

  12. #12Vigilant2014-09-09 21:13

    Yeah, but Wiley Coyote did not have a very good safety record. Seems like everything he tried to use something with the Acme nameplate, it backfired on him.

  13. #130752014-09-09 22:01

    Next time you are up this way I will show you one . We have one sitting in the weeds in Jeune Landing .Englewood runs them on their line loaders. Nice light grapple hangs on really well ,but sucks casting up hill. Pulls off log before closing.

  14. #14Murk1002014-09-09 23:30

    I spent a little time with Friell Lake back in the early 90s, couple of times on the 044 once in the Z zone, Kendrick Arm and up in Mackenzie on the 122. My shift on the 122 was 5pm-5am I think I made it 4 nights lol. I'll never forget their float camp in Kendrick wish I had some pictures, the Atco trailers were about 15ft to long so they just dangled them over the ends of the barge. Many sleepless nights on those breezy 60 knot west coast winds, blowing the siding off the trailers wondering when you and the trailer were going in the drink. I remember old Gunther as well, chewed Garlic cloves like Jelly beans ..yummy .. he use to work for Washington Iron Works, I think he built the TL 6 he operated. I had posted these pics on the Madill thread 2 yrs ago but I think it won't hurt to post again. I'll check my photo albums may have some more pics

  15. #15camptramp2014-09-10 00:19

    I've never tried a grapple like that one , but I think that was Gunther's preference in grapples , he's using it on a Washington TL6 TRAK LOADER which has a slack puller . Ran across Gunther at Percy's at the top of Powell Lake in Fall 1975 . Originally from Germany , he was working for Washington Iron Works assembling Trak Loaders , then delivering new Machines to customers showing the operators how to run and maintain TRAK LOADERS . George Percy made him an offer he couldn't refuse . I don't know what happened , the next time I seen him was down Muchalat Inlet from Gold River , in Matchlee Bay running his TL6 " WASHING MACHINE " for Friell Lake Logging in 1991 . I went to Friell Lake for a 10 & 4 shift as a relief operator on a Nortwest Log Loader . During that shift I noticed the tires on the back axle on one of the logging trucks trailer getting a flat spot . Don't know what happened ,but got a call to go back in the following shift to drive logging truck . Turns out to be the HDX Hayes with the flat spotted trailer tires . As I had been driving highway logging truck for the past 5 years , I was a little rusty on the HDX , I set up the truck brakes before I left camp , as I was under the truck I noticed oil weeping out of left front truck brake drum . The truck had a V12 Jimmy with a 6 speed Alision ,the first time I used the retarter It didn't feel like it was doing anything , when I got loaded , I set up the trailer brakes , front axle brakes were set up right tight, back axle was backed right off, adjusted them. Checked the water to brake drums , went down a short hill stopped checked brake drums for heat , front axle on truck cold , back axle on truck warm , trailer drums warm . Had an interesting day That night we pulled the Left Front truck brake a part , relined brake and changed oil seal . Air valve under peddle for retarter was bad order , never did figure out what was wrong with Right Front truck brake . But 7 brakes and a retarter sure felt better than 6 brakes and no retarter. Taking a load down that hill with 4 brakes would have been scary.

  16. #16camptramp2014-09-10 00:32

    Hey Murk was that the same TL6 at Friell Lake , that Gunther ran for Percy ? Sounds like the same float camp on a barge ,that I stayed on . They had one of Percy's P16 Pacific's for a spare truck , wonder if Percy's sold the TL6 to Friell Lake and Gunther went with it ?

  17. #17DBDLS2014-09-10 01:18

    Thanx 075. It'll be interesting to see one in the metal.

  18. #18Hank R2014-09-10 16:04
  19. #19Hayesno12014-09-11 14:18

    Friell Lake Logging yarder unit #426

  20. #20Hank R2014-09-12 09:29
  21. #21Hank R2014-09-14 09:29
  22. #22Hank R2014-09-15 11:13
  23. #23Hank R2014-09-16 08:51
  24. #24Hayesno12014-09-16 14:15

    FLL Hayes HDX unit #1(pic 3) and #2(pic 1 and 2)

  25. #25Hayesno12014-09-16 14:29

    FLL Hayes HDX unit 1(pic 1) and unit #2(pic 2-4). Pics of ex unit #2 was taken at Sproat Lake Shop in summer 2012. Owner unknown.

  26. #26Hank R2014-09-18 08:53
  27. #27Hank R2014-09-19 08:41
  28. #28Hank R2014-09-20 09:08
  29. #29Hank R2014-09-21 08:12
  30. #30Hank R2014-09-23 08:59
  31. #31Hank R2014-09-24 05:25
  32. #32Hank R2014-09-25 09:12
  33. #33Hank R2014-09-26 12:53
  34. #34Hank R2014-09-28 08:54
  35. #35Hank R2014-09-30 12:37
  36. #36Hank R2014-10-02 08:46
  37. #37Hank R2014-10-03 08:54
  38. #38Tugger2014-10-04 00:23

    I remember Friel Lakes camp around 1977.I was working for Oconor Log out of Port Hardy,we went to their camp at Chamiss bay to work on a 500 American.The roads connected with Friel lakes roads. I remember going for a drive one night after work and admiring their Massive bone yard.They also had some Euclid logging trucks contract hauling.

  39. #39Hank R2014-10-05 09:19
  40. #40Hank R2014-10-07 08:45
  41. #41Hank R2014-10-08 08:00
  42. #42Hank R2014-10-10 08:47
  43. #43Hank R2014-10-12 09:11
  44. #44Hank R2014-10-14 12:06

    The last of the Friell Lake Logging pictures.

  45. #45Hank R2016-11-25 18:19

    Just wondering if any one might have more pictures.